[LINUX] Netflix in a web browser on on Linux or XBMC Live?
Question 
First off, I want to apologize if this is in the wrong section or if this route has already been tried (probably has). I just recently built an HTPC from the XBMC Live installation and pretty much have everything set up functionality wise. I got to thinking about WHY Netflix doesnt work with Linux in general. So I tracked down the Moonlight plugins and installed Moonlight 2. Next step was to install the User Agent Switcher Add on to Firefox. Changing the User Agent to IE 8, I was able to go from the normal "Netflix doesnt support Linux" screen to this one.

So I guess the question is, do we know anyway of running Active X in Firefox (I know it's not supported officially). I tried some of the Active X wrappers on the Mozilla Add ons site, but no luck.

Again, if this is in the wrong section or has already been attempted, I apologize. Figured I'd bring it up and see if someone smarter than me at thsi stuff can make the next step.
Nope, not close. Unfortunately Linux is not a priority for Netflix.
I understand that, but if we could trick netflix into thinking were running windows it may be a work around. It seems like the only problem is the active x.
SpiggidyBob Wrote:I understand that, but if we could trick netflix into thinking were running windows it may be a work around. It seems like the only problem is the active x.

It is the DRM that is the problem. There is nothing that can currently decode and play it on Linux.
Okay so in my search for the ultimate in HTPC I have stumbled across a few questions and roadblocks that hopefully you guys can be of some help with. I currently run XBMC on my AppleTV, but have been using Netflix A LOT recently and would really love to have that in my living room with me too. Before I go out and buy a Roku box, here are my questions.

1. As I understand it the Revo 1600 cannot use GPU Acceleration in Windows natively so HD content would be out of the question. Is there a modification that can be done to XBMC to allow this under Windows XP or Windows 7?

2. If I were to install Linux on the Acer Revo would that allow for the GPU acceleration to watch HD content?

My reason for asking the two above because if this is possible I can just switch applications (into a Browser) and watch Netflix there. If so do you recommend a lightweight Linux distro for this application.

3. If I have to use the LiveCD XBMC (last option, probably wouldn't because I could just keep AppleTV) does it save all your settings somewhere so that when you boot into the LiveCD again it picks up where you left off.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Nod
Stigy Wrote:2. If I were to install Linux on the Acer Revo would that allow for the GPU acceleration to watch HD content?
Yes, I am running Linux on a Revo with XBMC and HD content works perfectly. Have a search here in the forum for lots of topics on installing on a Revo.

Stigy Wrote:My reason for asking the two above because if this is possible I can just switch applications (into a Browser) and watch Netflix there. If so do you recommend a lightweight Linux distro for this application.

I use PlayOn on a windows machine in my office, which converts both Netflix and Hulu, among others, into a UPNP service that I then map to a source in XBMC.
Yes, the server needs to be running 24X7 and yes there is a fee for Playon, but this solution, IMO, is worth it as it rates high on the WAF.
I did customize my confulence menus to add a sub-menu link to Movies for Netflix and same for Hulu under the TV menu. Again, search the forum for info on how to add the same.
DecK Wrote:Yes, I am running Linux on a Revo with XBMC and HD content works perfectly. Have a search here in the forum for lots of topics on installing on a Revo.

Awesome thanks so much! Going to search now, but what distro of Linux are you running?

And also I assume all of your content is on a server somewhere else so content on the Revo is via network share?

Thanks so much for your help.
Stigy Wrote:1. As I understand it the Revo 1600 cannot use GPU Acceleration in Windows natively so HD content would be out of the question. Is there a modification that can be done to XBMC to allow this under Windows XP or Windows 7?

This is true of v9.11 however the Dharma beta supports hardware acceleration on Win7 and will happily play 1080p. NB this does not work in XP because XP does not support the Microsoft DXVA2 interface.

JR
Is there a comparison between running XBMC on LiveCD, Windows & Linux?

Ordered my HTPC today so just want to start playing around with it when I get it.
Stigy Wrote:Is there a comparison between running XBMC on LiveCD, Windows & Linux?

Ordered my HTPC today so just want to start playing around with it when I get it.

As far as XBMC is concerned the OS makes little or no difference. The choice of OS is likely to be dominated by other factors, e.g. I use IE on my HTPC therefore I need Windows.

JR
After reading some stuff is it true that Windows XP cannot do GPU acceleration on the NVIDIA Ion chips?

I'll probably end up installing Linux, but just curious.

Also need to find a relatively inexpensive remote solution - thoughts?
Stigy Wrote:After reading some stuff is it true that Windows XP cannot do GPU acceleration on the NVIDIA Ion chips?

I'll probably end up installing Linux, but just curious.

Also need to find a relatively inexpensive remote solution - thoughts?

I use a Microsoft MCE remote.. probably the cheapest and easiest solution.
Just to be clear though, you will HAVE to use PlayOn to watch netflix, as linux by itself with a browser is not capable.... because Microsoft hates us.
I got a $14 dollar Windows MCE remote from Amazon, including USB IR Receiver. It has worked flawlessly with my XBMC Ubuntu minimum install for both Camelot and Dharma releases.
I plan on using the Android application for MYSELF, but would like for others to be able to control the system as well.

Jayhovah Wrote:I use a Microsoft MCE remote.. probably the cheapest and easiest solution.
Just to be clear though, you will HAVE to use PlayOn to watch netflix, as linux by itself with a browser is not capable.... because Microsoft hates us.

I was looking at the Silverlight plugin for Linux the other day: http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight

** Link is down right now (at least for me), but definitely something to look into. Gonna see which works better for Netflix.

GJones Wrote:I got a $14 dollar Windows MCE remote from Amazon, including USB IR Receiver. It has worked flawlessly with my XBMC Ubuntu minimum install for both Camelot and Dharma releases.

Awesome -- thanks for the quick responses. I really appreciate it.

My final question (for now) is do you know if the MCE receiver will work with a harmony remote?
Stigy Wrote:My final question (for now) is do you know if the MCE receiver will work with a harmony remote?
Absolutely, I've been using my Harmony with the MCE receiver for years.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Netflix in a web browser on on Linux or XBMC Live?0