[WINDOWS] XBMC Portable not really that portable?
Hi there
I have an external hard drive that i move between different computers, so I tought of installing XBMC portable on it.
But, after the installing, it seems that the personal data is stored on the PC where I run the installation and not on the hard drive, as when I move it to a different PCs XBMC runs with default options.
As proof when I uninstall it it show the message "delete personal data on "C:\user\appdata..."", so it's definitely not on the external drive.
I don't understand, I checked the portable option during installation and run XBMC as admin. What's wrong?
how are you launching it ?
use the -p otion to use portable mode.
ppic Wrote:how are you launching it ?

Thank you, with that option is now working.
I have another problem, though.
The fact is that the letter used for the drive changes from PC to PC, so the directories in the databes are kinda screwed up.
Is there a way to assign a relative directory, eg "(upper level)/Movies"?
Tried that without success.
i believe there's some way to reserve a particular drive letter to a particular device in windows. if not, another solution would be to always access the data through a smb share which has the same name on all puters.

we have no way to store references to external media by uuid or the likes currently.
spiff Wrote:i believe there's some way to reserve a particular drive letter to a particular device in windows. if not, another solution would be to always access the data through a smb share which has the same name on all puters.

Yeah I found something like that but it is restricted to the PC where you do the reservation.
I kinda solved it by setting multiple file patch in movies.xml in the userdata.
You reserve the same drive letter for the drive on each PC the drive is used on
spiff Wrote:i believe there's some way to reserve a particular drive letter to a particular device in windows.

To do this go into Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management > Right click the drive name and you have the option to "Change Drive Letter and Paths" then change the drive letter as desired.

I suggest one towards the end of the alphabet on both computer so you have less of a chance of it conflicting on your other computers.

EDIT: You would have to update your library again though so the paths in the database get updated with the new drive letter.
ppic Wrote:how are you launching it ?

I use XBMC on Windows XP in portable mode. I now want to make this machine full silent and so remove HDD and put in a USB.

XBMC live on USB has many options and I just want it boot with intel option and then look for userdata on some samba server in basement.

Here is what I am thinking:

1. Install XBMC Dharma Beta 4 on USB Drive.

2. Edit Grub Menu on USB drive to default with no wait to XBMC with Intel Graphics.

3. Refer to etc/fstab, edit to add samba share

4. Refer to usr/share/xbmc/system and edit profile to point to sambashare (We dont want our tumbnails to kill the USB Drive).

5. Add -d 30 to introduce 30 seconds of delay for all services to stablize including dhcp, samba etc etc.... ---->> Where is this edited in LinuxLiveXBMC....??

6. Pat oneself on the back and praise to be brilliant.

7. Configure to hearts content and enjoy...

Any flaws in this ?? Guru of the forum, pls advise.
Another option would be to stay with Windows and use an SSD disk.

Does the disk really make that much noise? I have several PCs of different types that I use as testbeds for XBMC, and the only one with audible disk noise from two metres away is my workstation, and that has a four disk RAID5 array!

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Another option would be to stay with Windows and use an SSD disk.

Does the disk really make that much noise? I have several PCs of different types that I use as testbeds for XBMC, and the only one with audible disk noise from two metres away is my workstation, and that has a four disk RAID5 array!

JR

JR - When playing the sound is not discernible. We recently lost power during the day and noticed what sound of silence is. Seriously, its worth a trip to garage to check this out. Laptop sound is mainly from the CPU fan and HDD..
I can only attempt to fix/reduce one.

I am to conclude that the recipe thought by me will work? Any gotcha I should worry about?

Thanks for your comments.

Anil
Well people use XBMCLive from a USB disk, so it certainly works ...

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] XBMC Portable not really that portable?0