The New ATV
What is up with this Nod XBMC for the price of 99$ in a small form factor.
If this is going to be supported I will buy one even if I support apple :/

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/sh...TM3NTM1Nzk
Says on that page that it can play up to 720p, so watching 1080p content is out of the question. I'm thinking it won't be able to run XBMC smoothly, but that's just my guess without reading any of the specs.
Yeah just read about the 720p maximum. Never mind.
I think the new AppleTV can serve as a good compliment to an XBMC Box, seeing how it provides Netflix and DRM content....

No storage? pointless. I don't want to have my macbook switched on everytime i want to watch a movie.

it should at least come with a bay for optional expansion if they wanted to keep the price down.
If you can get it to run Xbmc, that would be nice, but you'd need to know the internals. It's probably Apple's own A4 ARM CPU, its iOS and a bit of flash storage. I'm curious about the amount of RAM as well.

You can still use NFS or Samba to stream stuff, you don't really need a lot of local storage. The question is also if there is an expansion slot in it like in the first gen AppleTV, if not then I see no way to go 1080p on that thing. Personally I'd only get it if you could run Linux & Xbmc on it though.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
If it gets supported, it's perfect for those with NAS or a storage computer that streams media.
For those interested, iFixit took the new AppleTV apart, interesting pics, but I don't think people will ever be able to play back Full HD with it - no expansion slots whatsoever, and the RAM is soldered on and as generous as Apple's previous AppleTV offering - 256 MB.

8 GB of flash is plenty to put an Xbmc install on though Smile.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Blog
The BeagleBoard has only 256 RAM and its enough to have linux and XBMC on it, heck its even enough to have gnome and xbmc Smile

xbmc may be rather heavy weight in the embedded market but the use of RAM is very low, thanks to being designed to run on xbox. It will use RAM more and more though but its the team intent to scale it well to still run on little ram.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I can't say how much RAM e.g. VDPAU requires, I can say though stock Xbmc indeed consumes very little in comparison, but CrystalHD eats a lot of RAM, and the 256 MB is really limiting the AppleTV if you want Full HD Smile.
* Blog
Not sure what DPAU is but new ATV won't use CrystalHD so you can't really compare it to that. The new ATV is using some hw accel for sure but if it doesn't need more than 256mb on iOS it likely doesn't need more with linux. (harder part is to actually get linux to have hw accel).

256mb on an embedded device isn't little and it should be enough for us, granted 512 would be better.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I should have mentioned I was talking about the 1st gen AppleTV (which I have). I assume since the 2nd gen variety can do 720p on iOS it will also be able to do that on Linux (provided drivers are available), but I don't see Apple using 1080p-capable hardware in such a device only to market it as 720p max. Whereas the 1st gen allowed that through its miniPCI-E expansion slot, I don't see any similar options for the 2nd gen.
* Blog
.:B:. Wrote:I should have mentioned I was talking about the 1st gen AppleTV (which I have). I assume since the 2nd gen variety can do 720p on iOS it will also be able to do that on Linux (provided drivers are available), but I don't see Apple using 1080p-capable hardware in such a device only to market it as 720p max. Whereas the 1st gen allowed that through its miniPCI-E expansion slot, I don't see any similar options for the 2nd gen.

Apple markets to what they support in iTunes Store streaming, ie 720p. It's what the masses can support as not everyone has a fast fiber connection in the USA.

The 2nd gen AppleTV has already been proven to handle 1080p decode of certain flavors. It's very early in the investigation process for this device.
That sounds really nice Smile. 1080p at < 10W Big Grin.
* Blog

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The New ATV0