VAAPI memory leak
I have this problem for some time now, so I think it's time to ask if this is a known bug or someone has to report it.
But first things first:

Version: XBMC PRE-10.5 r33336 (downloaded 30 aug. IIRC)
Although the same thing happens to most versions downloaded and compiled straight from the source tree over the last 1-2 months

Linux Version: Ubuntu 10.4 (2.6.32-22-generic SMP x86_64)
Graphics Card: ATI radeon HD 4200 (embedded on motherboard)
ATI driver: Default driver that comes with Ubuntu 10.4

I started using xbmc straight from the source tree so I can have VAAPI support and sometimes, when a video ends or I stop it, xbmc hangs and starts a crazy memory leak that fills the memory instantly and usually starts to fill the swap space too. Sometimes it hangs with a black screen, sometimes as it tries to display the menu, sometimes after the menu has fully loaded. The only way to stop it is to kill (SIGKILL) xbmc or if started from the terminal ^C. I am almost confident that this happens randomly and is not specific to some videos only. I am also almost sure that it has something to do with VAAPI because if I disable it I cannot reproduce the problem (because of the complete randomness of the hangs, I can never be sure that it's not reproducable or I'm just lucky).

When I start xbmc from the terminal I see the following error displayed on the terminal when a video starts playing but it is not fatal (actually it is not even noticable if you don't open a terminal) so I just paste it here in case it is useful

Code:
libva: libva version 0.31.0-sds5
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns -1

The following is the log file of a reproduced memory leak
http://pastebin.com/RXB5zfPV
kill it with a SIGSEGV instead, then post the crashlog which should include a backtrace. (make sure you have gdm installed)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

after some time playing with it and changing the options I found out that the problem was not with VAAPI but with the skin, and that is because I fiddled a bit too much with the skins. After reseting my profile folder, everything worked ok. So I was lucky after all that I was not able to reproduce it with VAAPI disabled.

Anyway, thank you for the quick answer!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI memory leak0