No audio with add-ons
I am running Dharma Beta 2 (Live, installed to HD) on an ASUS M3N78-EM motherboard, with DVI video and optical SPDIF audio, and it plays wonderfully from my Samba server and my MythTV DLNA server. However, I installed several add-ons - Bluecop's Hulu add-on, and the You Tube, CNN, and Fox add-ons - and they all play good quality video, but have no sound.

I have sound set to 'Optical/Coax', 7.1, 'Boost Volume', AC3 and DTS capable receiver, default output device, IEC958 passthrough device, and sound works everywhere except in the add-ons.

I have searched and haven't seen anyone else mention this, so any suggestions would be helpful. Am I missing a setting?

TIA!
You should post up your log file as it will show exactly whats going on when XBMC begins playback.

That being said, you may have a problem with the audio rate. My HDMI connection would incorrectly playback those plugins until i got the system to resample to 48000Hz.

Something you may want to try, install the Revision3 plugin and test one of those streams. They are all normally encoded in 48000Hz.
You are good Mr. Wolf - the 48000 Hz audio plays, the 44100 Hz audio does not. Where is this Revision3 plugin? Do you mean revision 3 of BlueCop's Hulu add-on? Or Beta 3 of Dharma?
I tried Dharma Beta 3 and have the same issue - video plugins play video, but have sound only if the audio is encoded at 48 KHz.

This appears to be a known bug (at least NightStormWolf knew what was causing it); is it documented in the bug tracker? I can't find it there; the closest report seems to be Ticket #10379. If not logged, then let's write ticket for it.

Is there a workaround?

TIA.
I didn't get audio in plugins and in stereo movies, too. Skin sounds and dts/ac3 passthrough worked. I use hdmi for audio and video, but eventually it gives you a hint.

This is what I did to get it running:

~/xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml:

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<resample>48000</resample>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

Audio settings:

Audio output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 2.0
AC3 and DTS: checked
Audio output device: Defaults
Passthrough: Custom
Custom passthrough device: hdmi:CARD=NVidia

/etc/asound.conf (see the rate setting):

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.digital {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:1,7"
channels 2
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 8192
rate 48000
#rate_converter "samplerate_best"
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}

ctl.mixer0 {
type hw
card 1
}

Anyway I'm totally new to xbmc (just using it for 2 days) and maybe this doesn't help at all, but it's worth a try :-)
Thank you Westwood; it looks like good info. I have not yet had a chance to try it, but Bluecop's plugins seem to have fixed the problem. With his plugins, 44.1 KHz audio and 48 KHz audio both play without problems. However, the standard add-ons (for example, You Tube) still won't play 44.1 KHz audio. I will try your suggestions next.
QA_manager Wrote:Thank you Westwood; it looks like good info. I have not yet had a chance to try it, but Bluecop's plugins seem to have fixed the problem. With his plugins, 44.1 KHz audio and 48 KHz audio both play without problems. However, the standard add-ons (for example, You Tube) still won't play 44.1 KHz audio. I will try your suggestions next.

I had the same problem....keep all of your settings the same EXCEPT change it from 7.1 to 2.0. It fixes the problems and you'll have audio in everything.
Westwood, I tried your suggestion - first, I think:
~/xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
- should be:
~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

I put in the 'resample' change there; my entire advancedsettings.xml now looks like this:

<advancedsettings>
<gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -tq gpuCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
<audio>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

But that by itself does not fix the problem. I then looked at the asound.conf (there was not one in /etc, so I created it), but putting in your suggestions killed sound completely in the add-ons that had previously worked. I do have a 5.1 speaker system, so I haven't set my speaker configuration to '2'.

I will study the asound.conf docs, but in the meantime if anyone has suggestions they would be appreciated.

Aenima99x, change _what_ to 2.0? I don't want to convert all of my 5.1 channel videos to stereo; I really do have a 5.1 speaker system.
QA_manager Wrote:Aenima99x, change _what_ to 2.0? I don't want to convert all of my 5.1 channel videos to stereo; I really do have a 5.1 speaker system.

No that's not what I meant. In XBMC's settings, go to System, then Audio Output. Set "Speaker Configuration" to 2.0. Even though it's set to 2.0, you will still get everything in 5.1 where applicable. Give it a shot.
You are quite right Aenima99x - I made Westwood's change to ~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml and changed my speaker setting to '2' and audio works. I did not have to change asound.conf. I then played a DVD and sound was delivered in proper 5.1 audio.

This fix is not at all obvious from the UI or the documentation, so thank you for your help.
I am new to XBMC (2 days) and was having trouble with no sound in the Youtube Plugin and in TV shows as well.
The sound worked OK in movies, I guess they were sampled at 48k.
(settings: analog; 2.0)

I created a advancedsettings.xml file as specified above:

/storage/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

Now sound works everywhere!
Thanks for the information.

P.S. I have OpenELEC XBMC 12.2 installed on a old Dell Laptop
Test with either drm-intel nightly or wait for 4.4-rc1 kernel. If that does not solve your issue -> post in the bugreport.
4.4-rc4 is already out and should solve that issue - if it is not solved, check: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75038

That "resample" option is gone - it is not existing anymore. There is another workaround but only for OpenELEC.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No audio with add-ons0