What happened to "VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion"?
Hello guys,

I own an asrock 330 and I switched from XBMCLive (Camelot) to windows 7 with XBMC Dharma Beta 2. In the camelot version I used to have this option called VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion, which I had checked since it made the blacks of my LED tv really black. Now with the Dharma version the option is not there. Now the fade outs and blacks in movies are actually more of a grayish. I had to correct it by changing my tv settings, but this makes the overall image quite dark. Any idea what happened to the "VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion" option. And is it coming back?
VDPAU is only linux. XBMC Live is using Linux. You've moved to Windows which doesn't have VDPAU.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Is there an option in the Windows version that acts similar? I liked the old blacks :-(
Dunno.. I don't use windows. Maybe there is something in your driver.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Change your desktop colors to YCbCr444 in Nvidia settings, or whatever suits your TV best.
Kodi 17.0 Krypton, Win10 running on an ASRock ION 330HT HTPC
Watch out for the NVidia drivers doing weird things. The following is the situation with 258.96 drivers (and I think at least similar with other versions).

In my experience the "HD,SD" resolutions behave differently than the PC/Custom resolutions when it comes to levels and the RGB colour space if you care about not clipping WTW (>235 level). The DXVA stuff comes out levels 16-235 no matter what you set in NVidia control panel, though the desktop colour range and the MPEG2 decoded stuff will vary (I will not go into that here).

However, if you want to see WTW >235 levels as is the correct way to view Video (material does overshoot), the only way is to use

1) a PC/Custom resolution,
2) NVidia colour space set to RGB, and
3) NVidia video levels set to 16-235

- any other combination will clip them.
Hi TheSwissKnife,

Are you sure about number 2?
As far I know, the best signal to watch video in a TV set is YCbCr444 (which is by default limited to 16-235).
I don't know the results of RGB in Windows, since I only run XBMC in this OS to test with a computer monitor, and the YCbCr444 option will appear in NV Control Panel only when plug a TV.
In linux the YCbCr444 option is available only in 260.xx nvidia driver.

Cheers.
FireMan Wrote:Hi TheSwissKnife,

Are you sure about number 2?
As far I know, the best signal to watch video in a TV set is YCbCr444 (which is by default limited to 16-235).
I don't know the results of RGB in Windows, since I only run XBMC in this OS to test with a computer monitor, and the YCbCr444 option will appear in NV Control Panel only when plug a TV.
In linux the YCbCr444 option is available only in 260.xx nvidia driver.

Cheers.

Yes ideally to avoid quantisation issues of conversion it would be possibly be better to use YCbCr444 than RGB but if you want WTW YCbCr mode stupidly clips it all - these driver people don't read specs. I think the same problem occurs in Linux.
Sorry for the thread hijacking.

Some new developments on the latest nvidia driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-displ...river.html

hudo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What happened to "VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion"?0