Remote suddenly stopped working
Everything in my system has been up and running absolutely fine for years. Suddenly my remote stopped working a few days ago.

I use an MCE remote and IR receiver.

I worked out where the problem lay by trying every part of the system. The remote has a couple of programmable buttons that control the tv volume and power, these continue to work and the ir receiver lights light up when any button so probably not the remote.

I put an XBMC live CD into a different PC and plugged in the USB IR reeceiver, this did not work, so probably not the PC or the setup.

I concluded it must be the receiver and so bought a replacement. It still didn't work, now I just have no idea what is wrong.
bump
Justcop Wrote:Suddenly my remote stopped working a few days ago.

Uh...........Replace the batteriesBig Grin
_
I've tried replacing the batteries, still no luck.

I've tried the same remote and IR sensor on a windows PC and on my Xbox360 the remote works fine on both of these. WTF is going on.

In linux the IR sensor is lighting up saying it has received a signal but there is just nothing happening even with a fresh install of xbmc
I have the exact same issue since a couple of days (it used to work and then stopped working). Maybe this is linked to an ubuntu self update ? Does anybody can point me to a troubleshooting guide for remote on xbmc ?
I have tried running mode2 and the computer does appear to be accepting raw IR input however when I run irw nothing is recognised.

I would also think that this could be a linux kernel issue, i think it occured when I updated to RC2 and may have upgraded the kernel too.

The only thing that confuses me is why on an old XBMC babylon live CD things still aren't working.

Have now tried installing XBMC on my linux PC and this also doesn't work.

Is there anybody that can help me solve this.
Is anyone going to help me with this, is there any more info I can give to help, I'm getting very frustrated cos I have no idea what is going on, I can't even just by more hardware because my hardware doesn't seem to be malfunctioning. I'm completely stuck and this is the only place I can come to that might help me get unstuck
All was well with MCE remote for years. Upgraded to Dharma this morning and all was fine until a few hours ago... now the remote doesn't work and I can't get it back. Thoughts?
same problem here. updated to dharma 10 and now remote does not work. I have a universal remote mx-810 with ir receiver. do you think its the kernel or lirc or xbmc?

Ok I rebooted and it is working. weird.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
I am breaking every forum rule by posting this and not supplying more detail (yet) but I'm not at home with my XBMC right now...

So, from what I can gather, even after executing "sudu service lirc restart" the remote still does not work... however, after a while (time random and not related to any specific user event) the remote starts working... until it decides to stop again.

This does not seem related to any specific event withing the XBMC interface (running released Dharma / Alaska skin). Sometimes it stops while scrolling through a large list of movies or artists, sometimes it just stops at the main screen. XBMC is not locked up - can still do what I need to via the iPhone remote.

A reboot does not fix this either. Same symptoms.

This may not be XBMC (could be latest kernel)... when the remote is not working in XBMC I see no output from irw either.

Anyone know what logs I can monitor or where I can look for more detailed info?

Thanks!
I have eventually solved my issue by replacing with a logitech harmony remote. Still can't work out what was wrong with the MCE remote, continues to work fine on Windows!

Its a shame no one was willing to help. Although the person above me probably has different issues it would be nice if someone could give advice on how to debug a remote from the software side. There must be commands to tell if the raw data from the remote is being read, if lirc is interpreting them, if xbmc is interpreting them. At least this would give some idea of what the problem is.
I have the same problem!

Cheap MCE remote (not sure what brand). Asus Revo running XBMC 10. Remote has been in use for at least a year. Recently, within last couple months it would stop working, usualy after I finished watching a movie or show. Reboot would resolve the problem.

Two weeks ago it completely died. I tried unpluging and rebooting the machine with no luck. Curiously my Logitech wireless keyboard works fine. XBMC on my iPhone works fine as well. The remote works fine with Windows 7 MCE app. I upgraded today to 10.1 from a live CD. I completely wiped out the old install. The remote still doesn't work. What else can I try?
Post the output of "lsmod" from the terminal. I had this problem aswell and it turned out that there more multiple drivers being loaded that shouldn't be.
Here is the output:

Code:
Module                  Size  Used by
dm_crypt               11331  0
snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi    12722  1
snd_hda_codec_realtek   216061  1
snd_hda_intel          20799  2
snd_hda_codec          87096  3 snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               5668  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm_oss            34603  0
snd_mixer_oss          13929  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                71646  4 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy           1498  0
snd_seq_oss            27626  0
snd_seq_midi            4621  0
snd_rawmidi            19141  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      6003  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                48042  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              18710  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          6052  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
vga16fb                11385  0
vgastate                8961  1 vga16fb
snd                    56687  18 snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               6620  1 snd
led_class               2864  0
lp                      7028  0
psmouse                63245  0
lirc_mceusb            12402  1
nvidia               9961216  62
serio_raw               3978  0
shpchp                 28835  0
snd_page_alloc          7140  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
joydev                  8740  0
lirc_dev                8884  3 lirc_mceusb
parport                32635  1 lp
agpgart                31724  1 nvidia
i2c_nforce2             5199  0
vesafb                  3542  0
hid_logitech            7388  0
ff_memless              4093  1 hid_logitech
usbhid                 36110  1 hid_logitech
hid                    67096  2 hid_logitech,usbhid
fbcon                  35102  71
forcedeth              49556  0
tileblit                2031  1 fbcon
font                    7557  1 fbcon
bitblit                 4707  1 fbcon
softcursor              1189  1 bitblit
ahci                   32200  2
ramzswap                6362  1
xvmalloc                4074  1 ramzswap
lzo_decompress          2189  1 ramzswap
lzo_compress            1853  1 ramzswap
xbmc@xbmc:~$

This is the back of the IR receiver. It came bundled with AverMedia pcie card from a while back.

Looks like your missing a few modules. ir_core and ir_lirc_codec seem to be missing. Try loading them from the terminal and see what happens

Code:
sudo modprobe ir-core
sudo modprobe ir-lirc-codec
After you do that restart lirc
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart
Also check and see if /dev/lirc0 and /dev/lircd are there. If it is there use irw and check to see if it is seeing you remote
Code:
sudo irw
then point the remote at the receiver and push buttons. If everything is working you should see some out put on the terminal.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote suddenly stopped working0