[AppleTV] XBMC and 100% CPU?
Question 
So, recently xbmc on my ATV has started hard hanging while playing video files.

It'll play for a random amount of time; anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour or so, then the video will freeze and the only thing you can do is hit "menu" to drop back out to the video selection screen. Then nothing will respond and I have to hit the "reset" remote combo.

As soon as the video freezes, xbmc's cpu usage shoots up to 100%, and will stay there until I reboot the ATV.

xbmc.log is on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/ssbJendA

It looks fairly normal, the only thing that jumps out at me are line 349 and 350 in the pastebin and 353 looks like when I hit the menu button to jump back to the menu from the frozen playback. I'll try and grab another debug log later, and I'll post it on pastebin too.

Is there any way to force a core dump or get a stack dump from XBMC on the ATV? There doesn't appear to be "pstack" or "gcore" or anything useful for debugging on the ATV by default... Can I scp the binarys over from my OSX machine? Or is that not going to work?

I killed XBMC with a SIGSEGV, (kill -SIGSEGV <pid>) and couldn't find a core file.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
ty following:

backup your settings Wink
delete your .xbmc folder and reboot xbmc.

After reboot, the folder .xbmc will be created again and you can easily check if the 100% cpu usuage problem is solved.

i sometimes get the same problem and solved it in this way .

good luck!
MasterOe Wrote:backup your settings Wink
delete your .xbmc folder and reboot xbmc.

After reboot, the folder .xbmc will be created again and you can easily check if the 100% cpu usuage problem is solved. !

I'll give it a try, but any idea what this is actually going to fix? I'd rather know what the problem is that just have it go away... Smile
I am experiencing the same problem. This sucks.
scourge411 Wrote:I'll give it a try, but any idea what this is actually going to fix? I'd rather know what the problem is that just have it go away... Smile

Tried it, and it appeared to work in that the ATV didn't freeze for a week or so. Now it's doing it again. I'll re delete the .xbmc folder, but there doesn't seem to be anything in there that should cause this. It's mostly just weather related files in .xbmc/temp/weather...
I just saw that Dharma got released, so I'm upgrading to that; hopefully that fixes the problem. Wink
Issue the command top in the terminal to see what is taking the CPU
XBMC display of CPU load is the overall of the machine not just the XBMC process
If you have VNC running that is most likely the case of 100% CPU load
interceptor121 Wrote:Issue the command top in the terminal to see what is taking the CPU
XBMC display of CPU load is the overall of the machine not just the XBMC process
If you have VNC running that is most likely the case of 100% CPU load

The debug info shows XBMC's cpu usage as "CPU XBMC", which is at 100% when the problem occurs.

$ ps -u -p `ps -ax | grep XBMC | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TT STAT STARTED TIME COMMAND
frontrow 252 100 23.9 293748 62776 ?? Us 1:39PM 170:12.68 /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS/XBMC -fs

Also shows that it's XBMC that's pegging the cpu. Unfortunately, as near as I can tell there's nothing on the ATV that will allow me to either grab a core dump of the process or print out its stack. I can't find anything for OSX either, as I was thinking I could just scp the binary over to the ATV.

I have no idea where VNC came from. I'm certainly not using it.

It hasn't happened since I upgraded to Dharma this afternoon, so we'll see what happens.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] XBMC and 100% CPU?0