Install from XBMC Live USB problem
Hi All,

I'm trying to install XBMC on a newly built HTPC that has no, as of yet, CDROM so i'm trying to install from USB. I've put the .iso on the USB with unetbootin and I can boot into a Live session; however, when I try to install, I run into a problem.

The problem occurs at the step: Detect and mount CDROM. It tells me no common CDROM detected and asks to load modules from removable to which I answer no. Then it asks to manually select a CDROM module and device to which I answer yes. I then switch to another console and mount the usb device using
Code:
mount -t vfat /dev/sdb /mnt
. I verified mounting by
Code:
ls /mnt
and indeed, it's mounted. Then I switch back and specify /mnt as the location, but it tells me installation step failed. I've also tried to specify /dev/sdb, but no dice. I try to skip the install step and move on to Load debconf pre-configuration file, but it tries to read the file from file:///cdrom/install/preseed.cfg which, of course, fails.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Shawn
The simplest thing to do is burn the iso to CD and boot the CD.
Then use the "BOOTABLE DISK WIZARD" on the LIVE CD to create a properly functioning USB device that you can install from.

The "BOOTABLE DISK WIZARD" is under programs.
there is also this new option.
Don't miss the steps to additionally copy the ISO to your USB stick and loop-mount it as mentioned in this post.
I did a variation to the solution dotme has linked.

First, I copy the .iso image to the USB stick and then, when asked for the CDROM, I open a console, execute "mountmedia" (that mounts the USB stick in /media) and the I link the xbmc iso image to /dev/sr0: "ln -s /media/xbmc.iso /dev/sr0". Going back to the installation, I give "/dev/sr0" as the CDROM device and then it just works.
Worked like a charm. Thanks!
Same crap here.
I've tried both, still saying "would you like to mount the CD again?"
Why is it asking for a CD? I don't HAVE a CD?
hei guys, i had the same issue and managed to solve it by removing the 4gb usb stick stucked while installing from the cd; rebooting with a 2gb usb stick worked right away and installation was successfull. hope this helps

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install from XBMC Live USB problem0