• 53(current)
Ember Media Manager - Revisited (Open Source VB.NET Project)
daniello Wrote:Actually I did exactly as you say.

when you add the source and are in the 'set content' part, check scan recursively and run automated scan. Set the content to Movies and press OK. Since you checked run automated scan, XBMC will immediately scrape all the movies to the library.

To enable the library view, press left in file mode and choose library from the menu.
Orbi Wrote:when you add the source and are in the 'set content' part, check scan recursively and run automated scan. Set the content to Movies and press OK. Since you checked run automated scan, XBMC will immediately scrape all the movies to the library.

To enable the library view, press left in file mode and choose library from the menu.

Did exactly that.

I don't have any of my nfos at hand right now ... but I assume they contain an url to imdb. I didn't set imdb as my scraper - maybe there is a conflict here. And the url might cause xmbc to rescrape instead of using the nfo .. not sure how it works exactly.

What really bugs me is that the nfo contains a movie plot and whatever xbmc does the plot is empty for that one example movie I have.

Next step I will do is to export an nfo from xbmc and look at the difference .. maybe this sheds some light.
XBMC is always importing from nfo files if they exist instead of going out and scraping using the scraper set for the source.

...but if I were you, I would first investigate why I want to use an external media manager instead of using the built in scrapers of XBMC. If I know the reason already, I would investigate what files are needed for the import. EMM comes with sane default settings by default, not sure why you felt to check all other boxes. In a more is better basis?

So I would first try to scrape with XBMC without having any nfo or other accompanying files in place and see if it makes you satisfied.

In case you have any issues with scraping with the in-built scrapers, post a debug log (in a different please).
Originally I thought XMBC would use the external files without having to load the stuff into it's data base. This way you could uninstall, move and do anything you want without having to rescrape (and retouch) the data.

Now I have learned that the db still has to be filled.

But .. If you pamper external files and xbmc uses them correctly touching up the data is really worthwhile and manual tweaking won't be reset each time you rescrape.

If I was out for an English DB my point of view would be different seeking for a good German db involves quite some tweaking (at least in my experience).

Plus I find the tweaking options of Ember to be better and really like the bulk renaming option etc.
daniello Wrote:Did exactly that.

I don't have any of my nfos at hand right now ... but I assume they contain an url to imdb. I didn't set imdb as my scraper - maybe there is a conflict here. And the url might cause XBMC to rescrape instead of using the nfo .. not sure how it works exactly.

What really bugs me is that the nfo contains a movie plot and whatever xbmc does the plot is empty for that one example movie I have.

Next step I will do is to export an nfo from xbmc and look at the difference .. maybe this sheds some light.

On the contrary, you should set IMDB or the Movie-db as a scraper. XBMC needs to know you're importing movies. Even though you set it this way, if XBMC finds a valid movie.nfo, it will use the nfo instead of scraping online.

Edit: I didn't see your last post, are your problems solved now?
Orbi Wrote:Edit: I didn't see your last post, are your problems solved now?

No .. but I currently am collecting hints .. that I will try this evening .. nothing new to test yet.

As a scraper I am using ofdb.de .. which does it's job quite well but there are still english plots.
You can also export all these files from within XBMC, so that any manual tweaking is retained.

I could look at the in-built ofdb scraper to make it better if you were listing any particular issue with it.
olympia Wrote:You can also export all these files from within XBMC, so that any manual tweaking is retained.

I could look at the in-built ofdb scraper to make it better if you were listing any particular issue with it.

Thanks .. if I have something conrete that doesn't work well I will report it. Possibly I approached the problem from the wrong side. Scraping with xbmc .. exporting the data and then tweaking it might have been beneficial. I might start from scratch even though I already spent quite some time.

I found this article:
http://marshalleq.wordpress.com/2009/09/...-it-again/

And what is strange is that the author seems to suggest that once you have the files in place you never need to scrape again. Since the directory mode doesn't show any plot etc. this implies to me that the database mode could be used by displaying the file content on the fly .. can this be true .. to my understanding it isn't.
daniello Wrote:And what is strange is that the author seems to suggest that once you have the files in place you never need to scrape again. Since the directory mode doesn't show any plot etc. this implies to me that the database mode could be used by displaying the file content on the fly .. can this be true .. to my understanding it isn't.

It's too long to read Smile
Other than that it is an article from 2009. by a 3rd party author, so I wouldn't put my hands to fire for it.

What I suspect he could mean on 'never need to scrape again' is that in case you have an exported library XBMC doesn't need to scrape again from the Internet. Instead, during scraping it is importing from the exported files.

... but no, XBMC is not displaying any content (with the only exception of posters) on the fly in file mode. Let's stick to XBMC terminology to avoid confusion. Currently there are file and library modes. This will be disappear with next XBMC version and there will be only one mode by the way.
olympia Wrote:It's too long to read Smile
What I suspect he could mean on 'never need to scrape again' is that in case you have an exported library XBMC doesn't need to scrape again from the Internet. Instead, during scraping it is importing from the exported files.

Ultimately it should be fast if all the local files are used instead of the internet .. which is not the case for me (which seconds that my local files are ignored).
XBMC might download actor thumbs during importing if you checked that option which also takes time, but obviously importing doesn't happen in case you have plot in the nfo.

However all scraping/importing issues belongs to another thread. I can't imagine why do you have empty plots with tmdb scraper if the movies available on tmdb (unless you set German as language and there is no German plot for that movie). We need a debug log in a separate thread in order to investigate what's going on.

...but once more. I strongly suggest to start from scratch with XBMC.
olympia Wrote:XBMC might download actor thumbs during importing if you checked that option which also takes time, but obviously importing doesn't happen in case you have plot in the nfo.
...but once more. I strongly suggest to start from scratch with XBMC.

Yes .. I probably will.

BTW .. where do you uncheck actor thumbs? I cannot recall seing this option anywhere.
daniello Wrote:Yes .. I probably will.

BTW .. where do you uncheck actor thumbs? I cannot recall seing this option anywhere.

This again doesn't belong to EMM thread, but system/video/library in XBMC.
I have a question about extrathumbs

I need to add movies that cannot be scraped... some concerts, symphonies and other music related items.

For most I am just letting Ember pull stills from the video and using them as the 'extrathumbs'.

However, I have the Lord of the Rings complete recordings audio dvd's. (not really any video...more of a slideshow.)
I wanted to use pics from the actual movies for the extra thumbs. So I just changed the title of the music folder to that of the actual movie and let emm scrape the pics into the extra thumbs folder... change the name back for the audio dvd and eliminate all the movie info it scraped.

The other method I tried was to simply put my own properly named thumbs into the extrathumbs folder in each of the directories.

problem with both methods.....

When I go to look at these in emm in the edit movie popup.... although I have a green check for extrathumbs I don't see them when I click on the tab. I have to click the refresh button and the images will appear.... but if I go away from that screen and come back then the images are gone again.

Any reason why they are doing this... doesn't emm simply look for a folder called extrathumbs and use the images?
Is there a simpler way to manually add extra thumbs?... You can browse for poster and fanart but not for the extra thumbs....

Thanks.
Version 0.4 of YaMBro is available now:
  • fixed cover downloads on slow connections
  • fixed remember position in actors / directors list
  • fixed bug in movie search (title)
  • fixed some counting bugs
  • fixed runtime calculator
  • fixed source filter
  • added Google Quick Search
  • added nicer loading pics
  • added play TV Episodes in XBMC

More infos using YaMBro in this thread or on YaMBro Homepage