[AppleTV2] atv2 + xbmc = stereo only?
hey guys,

almost been going to my nearest apple store to buy an atv2, but just encountered that it might only output stereo over hdmi when using xbmc...is this true? can anybody please confirm this?
Mine does Sad. Can I really just Output Stereo? I have tested several .mkv with ac3 and some with DTS.
Also there ist nö Setting for ac3 and DTS passthrough on the settings. Sad
that sounds too bad :-(
if this is really the case, i think i might keep waiting a bit longer...

thank you!
Interested on an official answer on this as well.

Specifically it would be interesting to know whether the limitations (stero only, no passthrough, no 1080p output) are something that will be/could be overcome in the future or if they are hardware determined.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
as fas as i know, apple limited the output to 720p and since xbmc is installed under their os in that atv2, xbmc will simply be bound to what their driver allows. i am hoping that installing linux in the near future is going to be an option.
awkwardtv is working on this, but they mention, that there is currently no possibility to use hardware accelerated video decoding under linux on atv2. so i guess, this needs to happen in order for xbmc to output 1080p.

however, i could live with 720p only, if the box is only $99. but stereo...this sucks :-(
Stereo sucks as hell!
What about through optical out?
Right, is stereo-only a limitation of HDMI out or is it a limitation for SPDIF out as well?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Tested through Optical, no Change.
Majestic Wrote:Tested through Optical, no Change.
You mean stereo only as well? Sad
Exactly
Here is a list of Audio formats supported by ATV2 under the native iOS software. This is from apple.com:

--
HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through
--

So, the device itself looks capable of at least DD 5.1 bitstream. Sounds liket his may just be an issue with something in XBMC right now.
Well, we hope that all. But why does no developer tells something about that, that is stange. I mean this is the official Board
ya would be nice to get official word if its just a xbmc side issue that is on the todo list.
I think the lack of DD 5.1 is my only issue with XBMC on the ATV2 at this point...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] atv2 + xbmc = stereo only?1