Live + Windows7 Shares + Live Sign-In Assistant
Is anyone hitting this bug? If you're reading this, I'll assume you already know the problem: If you're using XBMC Live to access a Windows7 shared folder, and have a recent Windows Live Sign-In Assistant installed there, the connection will fail.

There is a proposed update for Ubuntu that would fix this problem, and allow us to do a quick update to Live to fix it for our users.

If anyone is able to reproduce the issue, and is willing to install a proposed fix and provide feedback, please speak up.

The details are here (skip to the end), and we can walk you through any questions: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/...bug/458637 . Note: Live Dharma is based on Ubuntu Lucid.

Thanks,
TheUni
it took me a while to get my windows 7 share up and running... i read about the live sign-in glitch.

uninstall the update, set an open share on your windows machine and the final trick i used was manually pointing to the machine via IP within xbmc

good luck,
-aPeg
You misread. I'm not looking for a workaround, I'm trying to deploy the real fix. But I need someone to test first.

TheUni
Bump.
I've got a box that I can play around with, that can be set to connect to a Windows 7 system w/ the Sign-in issue.

Shoot me what you need and I'll test it.
Thanks. I'll assume you're relatively familiar with ubuntu/linux and xbmc. If not, let me know and I'll slow down.

This may look complicated, but it's very simple. I'm just giving a very detailed procedure.

Part1: Establish a control.
1. [win7] make sure windows live sign-in assistant is NOT installed. If it is already installed, uninstall and reboot.
2. [win7] share a folder with some stuff in it. contents don't matter.
3. [linux] in xbmc, add a video source, and choose that smb path.
4. [linux] browse to that path and notice that you are able to see contents.

Part2: Break stuff.
1. [win7] install sign-in assistant
2. [win7] reboot to be safe.
3. [linux] in xbmc, browse to share again and see that you can NOT see the contents anymore.

Part3: get the proposed update and verify that it works
1. [linux] add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list
Code:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-proposed restricted main multiverse universe
2. [linux] sudo apt-get update
3. [linux] sudo apt-get install -t lucid-proposed samba
4. [linux] reboot to be safe.
5. [linux] browse to share again and see that you CAN see the contents.

After that, please report back.

Thanks,
TheUni
Just testing, too, will report back in a few minutes Wink

Edit: negative :-|
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
Ehm, could you be more specific?

TheUni
Of course, sorry.

I followed your instructions excactly.
After applying the patch I rebooted, but XBMC constantly asks me for user name and password of the W7 share. It is not possible to connect to the share.
Please let me know if you need any more details.
Sony KD-65A1
Let's be clear...

You verified that it was working.
Then you install live essentials and it broke.
Then you installed the proposed package and it did not fix?

Please run:
dpkg -l | grep samba

And paste your current version (the entire line) of samba to verify that you upgraded correctly.

Thanks,
TheUni
If not sorted earlier I will test in when I get home. I have access to w7
theuni Wrote:Let's be clear...

You verified that it was working.
Then you install live essentials and it broke.
Then you installed the proposed package and it did not fix?

Exactly.

Here's the output of dpkg -l | grep samba

Code:
ii  samba     2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.3     SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for U
ii  samba-common     2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.3     common files used by both the Samba server a
ii  samba-common-bin     2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.3     common files used by both the Samba server a
Sony KD-65A1
That looks correct.

This is a regular Ubuntu install, not XBMC Live, right? If so, could you please see if you can reach the shares in gnome/kde ?

Edit: Also, please check that the version of libsmbclient is also 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.3. It should've been upgraded as well.

Thanks,
TheUni
Sorry, it's a Live installation.
Sony KD-65A1
Ok. Please see the edit above.

Thanks,
TheUni

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live + Windows7 Shares + Live Sign-In Assistant0