MKV chapter maker
Dear list,

Does anyone have any idea on this please? I have a few BluRay/HDTV rip .mkv files, without any chapters. Is there any way to create chapters for existing .mkv files? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q150 | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC
Sad I'm completely alone in the boat? Anyone knows any thing about it? Cheers!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q150 | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC
mkvmerge has a chapter editor and will merge in a chapter txt file into an existing mkv. Problem is you have to know where the chapters start since it can't really figure it out by itself.
thanks WheresWaldo. I'll have a look. Cheers!!
many thanks WheresWaldo, mkvmerge worked just fine. Al I had to do is use "mkvinfo" to find out the total time and then create a chapter file accordingly.
Do you happen to know if it can merger two .mkv files into one? I don't seem to find that info in the doc. Cheers!!
Try my tool, simple and easy: http://cyb3rh4xter.wordpress.com/mkvc
Puts chapters in your MKV in seconds Smile
MacUsers Wrote:many thanks WheresWaldo, mkvmerge worked just fine. Al I had to do is use "mkvinfo" to find out the total time and then create a chapter file accordingly.
Do you happen to know if it can merger two .mkv files into one? I don't seem to find that info in the doc. Cheers!!

You can but they end up as two different streams in the same file, it's not like you have one and the second is added to the end of the first. So if you are trying to make a longer one out of two you can't use mkvmerge. I don't even know what tools you can use to accomplish this.
Cyb3rH4Xter Wrote:Try my tool, simple and easy: http://cyb3rh4xter.wordpress.com/mkvc

My MKV's don't work in PowerDVD 10 after using your app to make chapters.
They work fine in XBMC. Any idea why?
WheresWaldo Wrote:You can but they end up as two different streams in the same file, it's not like you have one and the second is added to the end of the first. So if you are trying to make a longer one out of two you can't use mkvmerge. I don't even know what tools you can use to accomplish this.

U can use this tool: http://www.321slideshow.com/mkv-joiner.htm
Works flawlessly Smile

Dixon Butz Wrote:My MKV's don't work in PowerDVD 10 after using your app to make chapters.
They work fine in XBMC. Any idea why?

Hmm never heard of that problem before. I wonder if PowerDVD has a problem with MKVs with chapters. The files work great in Wmp11, VLC and XBMC. Have you tried with different MKVs? Like different track types (DTS and AC3 sound etc).
Cyb3rH4Xter Wrote:U can use this tool: http://www.321slideshow.com/mkv-joiner.htm
Works flawlessly Smile

Why would I want to output an AVI or Mpeg, if nearly everything is .h264?

Truth is you can use mkvmerge to append files one to another if you use the command line, here is a section from the readme.txt file:

Code:
--append-mode mode

Determines how timecodes are calculated when appending files. The parameter mode can have two values: 'file' which is also the default and 'track'.

When mkvmerge appends a track (called 'track2_1' from now on) from a second file (called 'file2') to a track (called 'track1_1') from the first file (called 'file1') then it has to offset all timecodes for 'track2_1' by an amount. For 'file' mode this amount is the highest timecode encountered in 'file1' even if that timecode was from a different track than 'track1_1'. In track mode the offset is the highest timecode of 'track1_1'.

Unfortunately mkvmerge cannot detect which mode to use reliably. Therefore it defaults to 'file' mode. 'file' mode usually works better for files that have been created independently of each other; e.g. when appending AVI or MP4 files. 'track' mode may work better for sources that are essentially just parts of one big file, e.g. for VOB and EVO files.

Subtitle tracks are always treated as if 'file' mode were active even if 'track' mode actually is.

--append-to SFID1:STID1:DFID1:DTID1[,...]

This option controls to which track another track is appended. Each spec contains four IDs: a file ID, a track ID, a second file ID and a second track ID. The first pair, "source file ID" and "source track ID", identifies the track that is to be appended. The second pair, "destination file ID" and "destination track ID", identifies the track the first one is appended to.

If this option has been omitted then a standard mapping is used. This standard mapping appends each track from the current file to a track from the previous file with the same track ID. This allows for easy appending if a movie has been split into two parts and both file have the same number of tracks and track IDs with the command mkvmerge -o output.mkv part1.mkv +part2.mkv.

+

A single '+' causes the next file to be appended instead of added. The '+' can also be put in front of the next file name. Therefore the following two commands are equivalent:

$ mkvmerge -o full.mkv file1.mkv + file2.mkv
    $ mkvmerge -o full.mkv file1.mkv +file2.mkv

=

Normally mkvmerge looks for files in the same directory as an input file that have the same base name and only differ in their running number (e.g. 'VTS_01_1.VOB', 'VTS_01_2.VOB', 'VTS_01_3.VOB' etc). This option, a single '=', causes mkvmerge not to look for those additional files.

The '=' can also be put in front of the next file name. Therefore the following two commands are equivalent:

$ mkvmerge -o full.mkv = file1.mkv
    $ mkvmerge -o full.mkv =file1.mkv
Cyb3rH4Xter Wrote:Hmm never heard of that problem before. I wonder if PowerDVD has a problem with MKVs with chapters. The files work great in Wmp11, VLC and XBMC. I will ask their support and see if I can resolve the problem. Have you tried with different MKVs? Like different track types (DTS and AC3 sound etc).

I tried to chapterize several with different track types, none work in PowerDVD. They work in MPC-HC and XBMC fine.
I have MKV's that I downloaded that already have chapters, they play in PDVD but you can't change chapters. Seems like PDVD doesn't support chapters in MKV's. They still play though.
Cyb3rH4Xter Wrote:Try my tool, simple and easy: http://cyb3rh4xter.wordpress.com/mkvc
The only "bad" ( Wink ) thing about it is: it's Windows, otherwise it could have saved me this weekend from wring my own script. I've no issue with windows, the only thing is: I don't have any Windows box. But, as far as my experience, your effort is very useful to lot of us. Cheers!!

PS. I'll share my script in a day or two when I'm done!
WheresWaldo Wrote:You can but they end up as two different streams in the same file, it's not like you have one and the second is added to the end of the first. So if you are trying to make a longer one out of two you can't use mkvmerge. I don't even know what tools you can use to accomplish this.
I'm a bit confused now. There is an "Append" button in the "Input" tab and I used that button to merge two .mkvs (two episodes of My Friends Tigger and Pooh) and it seemed to be working. The second one is starting right after the first one. Actually I wanted it for "Once Upon A Time In America" and "Ten Commandments", so I gave it a test run and looks like I got what I was looking for. Did you mean otherwise? Cheers!!
@ MacUsers - I use the append feature as well in linux and it works perfectly. I think WheresWaldo saw the add button and didn't realize there was another append button.

Add does the behavior he described.
WheresWaldo Wrote:Why would I want to output an AVI or Mpeg, if nearly everything is .h264?

Truth is you can use mkvmerge to append files one to another if you use the command line, here is a section from the readme.txt file:

Code:
--append-mode mode

Determines how timecodes are calculated when appending files. The parameter mode can have two values: 'file' which is also the default and 'track'.

When mkvmerge appends a track (called 'track2_1' from now on) from a second file (called 'file2') to a track (called 'track1_1') from the first file (called 'file1') then it has to offset all timecodes for 'track2_1' by an amount. For 'file' mode this amount is the highest timecode encountered in 'file1' even if that timecode was from a different track than 'track1_1'. In track mode the offset is the highest timecode of 'track1_1'.

Unfortunately mkvmerge cannot detect which mode to use reliably. Therefore it defaults to 'file' mode. 'file' mode usually works better for files that have been created independently of each other; e.g. when appending AVI or MP4 files. 'track' mode may work better for sources that are essentially just parts of one big file, e.g. for VOB and EVO files.

Subtitle tracks are always treated as if 'file' mode were active even if 'track' mode actually is.

--append-to SFID1:STID1:DFID1:DTID1[,...]

This option controls to which track another track is appended. Each spec contains four IDs: a file ID, a track ID, a second file ID and a second track ID. The first pair, "source file ID" and "source track ID", identifies the track that is to be appended. The second pair, "destination file ID" and "destination track ID", identifies the track the first one is appended to.

If this option has been omitted then a standard mapping is used. This standard mapping appends each track from the current file to a track from the previous file with the same track ID. This allows for easy appending if a movie has been split into two parts and both file have the same number of tracks and track IDs with the command mkvmerge -o output.mkv part1.mkv +part2.mkv.

+

A single '+' causes the next file to be appended instead of added. The '+' can also be put in front of the next file name. Therefore the following two commands are equivalent:

$ mkvmerge -o full.mkv file1.mkv + file2.mkv
    $ mkvmerge -o full.mkv file1.mkv +file2.mkv

=

Normally mkvmerge looks for files in the same directory as an input file that have the same base name and only differ in their running number (e.g. 'VTS_01_1.VOB', 'VTS_01_2.VOB', 'VTS_01_3.VOB' etc). This option, a single '=', causes mkvmerge not to look for those additional files.

The '=' can also be put in front of the next file name. Therefore the following two commands are equivalent:

$ mkvmerge -o full.mkv = file1.mkv
    $ mkvmerge -o full.mkv =file1.mkv

Oops, sorry. Read the question wrong. Yes you can merge MKVs in MkvToolNix or via its CLI.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV chapter maker0