Video OSD does not disappear
lol, I know Big Grin
I wanted to say that it's quite a funny coincidence.
Or it may be indeed a bad software-update for windows or another common piece of software.
I have the same issue when I use my logitech dinovo mini.
I use it to control my HTPC (which is a Win 7) and so also XBMC....
Moving the mouse and then stopping doesn't make the OSD disappear.
I have to use some kind of function : open and close a menu, or as simple as pressing "o" twice (what I do)
Been that way since 10 beta...
I'm having the same issue with the OSD, and I too am using a logitech wireless mouse. So... umm... yeah it's the mouse doing it.

If you are sure the batteries have not drained, try doing the signal synchronization procedure with the mouse and it's reciever. Maybe a neighbour has a new appliance that is interfering with the mouse or maybe it just naturally drifted off station over time. Or it's the batteries.
I was having this issue when I recently upgraded to 10.1 (from 9.11, I think?).

I also had an issue with XBMC freezing on Exit, so applied jhsrennie's patch (http://swarchive.ratsauce.co.uk/xbmc/) referenced in his post at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91908

Seems to have helped the OSD issue. Or maybe I just got lucky!
Hope this helps somebody.
Having this problem. Still no solution?
(2012-07-28, 03:07)JClark Wrote: Having this problem. Still no solution?

I've had this problem several times now with a logitech wireless mouse and am now experiencing it with a friend's Gateway wireless mouse (which is how I've ended up back at this thread). In all cases it was low batteries or poor signal. Here's the trick though, after replacing the batteries or recalibrating the signal, a reboot is required before the XBMC OSD will behave again.
Before hunting for new batteries, you can try removing the batteries from the mouse, swapping their positions and then rebooting. That's worked many times for me (although the batteries were still low and needed to be replaced soon after.)
I just ran the following sequence with this friend's Gateway wireless mouse (on his computer).
OSD stays up.
Check batteries with battery tester. They are low.
Swap battery positions in the mouse.
OSD still stays up. :-(
Reboot
OSD goes away. :-)

(2011-02-24, 10:56)foxm2k Wrote: lol, I know Big Grin
I wanted to say that it's quite a funny coincidence.
Or it may be indeed a bad software-update for windows or another common piece of software.

I think you might be on to something here thinking it's some kind of dodgy update. I find it odd that a reboot is required after replacing the batteries. I could understand if it required a restart of XBMC after replacing the batteries but only a reboot will do the job for me. I also find it odd that the cursor is not moving even 1 pixel to cause the OSD to stay up. I had originally thought "Maybe the mouse is sending back crappy data because it's batteries are low and the computer is interpreting that as an occasional 1 pixel of movement, just enough to keep the OSD perpetually open" but if you really get up to your screen and pry open your eyes clockwork-orange style, that cursor doesn't move even a teeny-weeny bit.
Either way:
1. Replace batteries.
2. Reboot.
3. Get on with life.

I just tried another test...
Found some old batteries with *just* enough juice to move the cursor and put them in the mouse.

Loaded XBMC
OSD stays up. :-(
Leaving the batteries just as they are...
Exit and reload XBMC

Reboot
Loaded XBMC
OSD stays up. :-( Expected this because I haven't actually done anything to fix it yet.)
With XBMC still open...
Completely replace batteries.
OSD stays up (but cursor moves smoothly now)
Exit and Reload XBMC
Reboot
Loaded XBMC
OSD goes away now. :-)

I've repeated the replace batteries then reboot process a million times to get passed this on several different computers with several different wireless mice.
Ok, several dozen times anyway.

One more thing, about people saying to use a remote. Some people think of a remote as "a kind of really, really crappy keyboard with no mouse that they used to have with those TV things in the olden days". I think it's really cool that you can use XBMC with a remote but the stock answer of "you're doing it wrong, use a remote" is getting really old now. There are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone would not want to use a remote.
This is so typical. THE ISSUE IS WITH XBMC. Don't blame the user's mouse and tell him to debug "his" issue. You're clueless if you think that's the right answer. It's always possible the user's (Logitech!) mouse or driver is to blame, but if XBMC can't handle the biggest PC peripheral maker's hardware and drivers, which are about as good as drivers get, running on WIndows, then perhaps the fault ultimately lies with XBMC (anyone heard of common sense?).

Moreover, I use several of the major media player (WMC, VLC, and XMBC mainly), and only XBMC has issues with video playback and not hiding the OSD when it should. Of course you need to install codecs for WMC, and DIVX has some issues, as did old versions of WMP, but as of now (2013), XBMC is a standout for having the most features and options, but problems that are really inexcusable make it useless to most people (not the ones on this forum, obviously - the ones who have better things to do than learn the finer points of home theater, and people who don't have the ability to figure out why this allegedly user-friendly software just doesn't work for them).

I do software support and development for some of the biggest companies in the world, and I'm one of the best in the world at what I do, if you're wondering whether my opinion is worth listening to. I still use XBMC on occasion, but only for a fairly minor feature that my girlfriend happens to need it for at the moment (for a complicated reason related to my standard solution), but I find it to be a tremendous waste of time relative to my standard solution for (what should be simple) video playback.

And if you guys don't add support for encrypted content, then your days are numbered. I know most people on this forum generally don't care about that (yet), but that's simply due to ignorance about the changes in content distribution that are around the corner, or not having thought it all through.

Point is, to all of you who tried to blame the user for this issue: you should all be banned, starting with this forum.
(2013-08-08, 03:10)joshnyc Wrote: This is so typical. THE ISSUE IS WITH XBMC. Don't blame the user's mouse and tell them to debug their issue. You're clueless if you think that's the right answer.

I use several of the major media player (WMC, VLC, and XMBC mainly), and ONLY XBMC has issues with video playback and not hiding the OSD when it should. Of course you need to install codecs for WMC, and DIVX has some issues, as did old versions of WMP, but as of now (2013), XBMC is a standout for having the most features and options, but problems that are really inexcusable make it useless to most people (not the ones on this forum, obviously - the ones who have better things to do than learn the finer points of home theater, and people who don't have the ability to figure out why this allegedly user-friendly software just doesn't work for them).

I do software support and development for some of the biggest companies in the world, and I'm one of the best in the world at what I do, if you're wondering whether my opinion is worth listening to. I still use XBMC on occasion, but only for a fairly minor feature that my girlfriend happens to need it for at the moment (for a complicated reason related to my standard solution), but I find it to be a tremendous waste of time relative to my standard solution for (what should be simple) video playback.

And if you guys don't add support for encrypted content, then your days are numbered. I know most people on this forum generally don't care about that (yet), but that's simply due to ignorance about the changes in content distribution that are around the corner, or not having thought it all through.

Point is, screw all of you who tried to blame the user for this issue. You should all be banned, starting with this forum.

Who are you replying to? There is no outstanding OSD issue for XBMC that are currently known. No doubt, due to the age of this thread, some of the issues brought up were bugs in XBMC. Those bugs have been fixed. If you are experiencing bugs still (we can only fix the ones we know about), by all means, start a new thread and we'll be happy to help you. Heck, we'll even be polite about it.

By encrypted content I can only assume you are talking about DRM. Though we do decrypt DVDs, and there is work to decrypt blurays, both directly from disc, but doing so is actually seen as a violation of DRM. We can also only do those things when other projects are able to make those decrypting libraries. You see, XBMC and so many other open source media projects share libraries and work, because it's simply not possible for one single group of volunteers to do everything themselves.

As for other forms of DRM, while I'm more than happy to give fair consideration to your concerns, even if you are being rude about it, we will never consider adding DRM to XBMC. It is fundamentally at odds with the open source philosophy that XBMC holds higher than almost anything else. It's not debatable, so if you don't like it, you will be asked to leave. It's bad enough to have to put up with your attitude without you telling us that we're going to die because we've rejected DRM since our existence (yet our userbase has grown massively and with no signs of stopping).

Does that limit us for streaming content? You bet it does, but XBMC is not for everyone. We are not a one-size-fits-all program. We are a niche program, for a niche crowd. It's one hell of a big niche crowd, but that's who we are. XBMC has always been primarily about local video files collected in a library. Everything else is gravy. We can't be everything to everyone.
(2013-08-08, 03:10)joshnyc Wrote: I do software support and development for some of the biggest companies in the world, and I'm one of the best in the world at what I do, if you're wondering whether my opinion is worth listening to.
Gosh, we need to get this guy on board Team-XBMC.
Quote:Point is, screw all of you who tried to blame the user for this issue. You should all be banned, starting with this forum.
On second thought, maybe not.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video OSD does not disappear0