DLNA issues
I am attempting to use XBMC as a DLNA client and control it using an DLNA controller on a different machine (J River Media Center 15/16 running on Win7). The media resides on a NAS, but it is *not* set up as a DLNA server - simply a network drive. I am currently running the XBMCFreak version 10.00 r35648, but same happens using the regular Dharma version.

The problem I am having is that it appears like XBMC is very slow (10+ seconds) to respond to the DLNA commands. This was reported by the J River developers after I reported the problem - I initially thought that it fails to play due to a bug in with their software.

Thing is that one of the previous versions (around 9.11) worked fine, but I can't find which version it was. I wonder if anybody else has had similar experiences with DLNA playback with XBMC as a client. All media plays fine off XBMC itself.

Finally, I realise I have not provided any logs or specifics. If someone could assist in providing a log entry I will do so.

thanks in advance.
Ok, it looks like I will have to go back to a pre-Dharma release.

Is there anywhere I can get old releases?

thanks!
Apparently, yes.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc/files/
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Ok, sorry to resurrect the thread, but I have done more investigating.

Basically, it seems as if the issue is on the XBMC DLNA side.

Everything works fine if I play the media from XBMC - mp3s and FLACs.
However when I play the same files on XBMC via a DLNA controller (I tried 2: 2player Android app and J River Media 15, 16) there is a 10+ delay in playback of mp3s. FLAC still play fine (no delay).

Has anyone else noticed this? I am happy to provide logs if someone gives me some basic instructions Smile

I am really keen on getting this setup to work, please help...

thanks in advance!
A debug log would be a good start.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:A debug log would be a good start.

Here it is. Hope this works.

xbmc.log

Basically I used J River Media Center 16 as a DLNA Controller for XBMC. Set it not to convert any formats. First, played 2 FLAC songs, stopping the first one before starting the next. Then did the same with a couple mp3s.

I posted a thread on this on the JRiver Media forums and the developers are happy to provide a licence for testing purposes.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can provide.

Cheers!
The seeking is really slow by the looks, which is used a lot to read the tag information from the file (and also get things like duration info etc.)

Will ping elupus.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:The seeking is really slow by the looks, which is used a lot to read the tag information from the file (and also get things like duration info etc.)

Will ping elupus.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I had some feedback from the MC devs as well, specifically about XBMC reading past the EOF for mp3s... They are looking at this as well (here).
If you could test latest svn, it should hopefully be abit faster. Will still be abit slow. but not as bad as before.

elupus Wrote:If you could test latest svn, it should hopefully be abit faster. Will still be abit slow. but not as bad as before.

I will test the latest live svn, but it will have to be off a usb. I can't go messing with the kids movie setup at the moment, so re-install will have to wait a bit... Hope that is ok.

(I am also experiencing some video stutter for 50fps, 60fps videos (no frame drops), so I am keen on trying the latest builds - but that is for another thread)

edit: forgive my ignorance, but where can I find the latest live builds? http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/live/ is empty...
The linux nightly ppa is suspended for the time-being and Live builds of Eden aren't ready yet. I'm afraid you'll have to wait a bit or compile yourself.

TheUni
(2011-03-29, 00:40)jmarshall Wrote: The seeking is really slow by the looks, which is used a lot to read the tag information from the file (and also get things like duration info etc.)

Will ping elupus.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I am sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wonder if there are any plans to solve the issue of these delays when running XBMC as a DLNA renderer. There are still significant gaps between tracks. Perhaps implementing support for SetNextAvTransportURI would help solve this? I mentioned this in the Feature Suggestion section, but there was no feedback.

Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DLNA issues0