[iPhone] Video add-ons folder gives "Remote Share: Network is not connected"
On my iPhone 4 when accessing the Video add-ons folder when I am away from my home wifi network will result in the error message "Remote Share: Network is not connected". If I am home and on my wifi network I do not get this error and can access the folder. I can access video plug-ins directly no matter what if they are saved as favorites, so it only seems to happen when I access the Video add-ons folder.

I deleted the entire XBMC folder in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/, uninstalled XBMC, and installed it fresh. Same result. I can't access the Video Add-ons folder even if I still have a cell data connection. I have not tried using another wifi access point other than the one I use at home to see if I still get the error.

A similar incident was reported at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94079 but the thread focused more on the ATV2 and some other "Network is not connected" errors and didn't mention the Video add-ons folder past the opening post. None of the fixes there worked or are applicable. The last message in the thread mentions that a new update to XBMC for iOS fixed the issues they were having, but I'm guessing it didn't fix everything, but went unnoticed because people don't normally travel away from their network (wired or wireless) with an ATV2.

I am running:
XBMC PRE-10.0 Git:4b032be (Compiled Feb 20 2011)
iPhone 4 CDMA/Verizon
iOS 4.2.6
Jailbroken with Greenposi0n

Steps to recreate the issue:
I can recreate the issue with a fresh install of XBMC with all default settings/skin or with several custom settings and a different skin. It does not seem to matter.
Download some video add-ons if testing with fresh install. (though it doesn't seem to matter)
Turn wifi off, open XBMC on iPhone (and most likely iPod touch and iPad?), open Videos, then open Video Add-ons.

Logs:
Video Add-ons working (with local wifi): http://pastebin.com/Rx880Zx2
Video Add-ons not working (wifi off): http://pastebin.com/dbLUeqgc
Hmm. I just googled this to find an answer to the exact question. Wanted to use icefilms when out and about but get the exact same message
Presumably XBMC can't/doesn't use 3G for network access when no wifi is available.
Presumably so
Actually. It works fine if they added to favourites and launched from there.
Defbref Wrote:Presumably XBMC can't/doesn't use 3G for network access when no wifi is available.

XBMC uses 3G just fine. I watched an episode of Family Guy via BlueCop's hulu add-on the other day on it. The actual add-ons do work, you just have to access them as a favorit or a custom home button. Even so, the Video Add-ons folder itself is not a network share and should not require a connection just to see the installed video add-ons.
So, the problem then appears to be:

1. The "is network connected" check should not apply to the root video add-on's listing.
2. The "is network connected" check doesn't work if wifi is not available.

Correct? You'll probably want to create a ticket and cc gimli, davilla + amet.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:So, the problem then appears to be:

1. The "is network connected" check should not apply to the root video add-on's listing.
2. The "is network connected" check doesn't work if wifi is not available.

Correct? You'll probably want to create a ticket and cc gimli, davilla + amet.

Cheers,
Jonathan

A perfect summary. I've created a new ticket per your suggestion. This is my first ticket so I hope I did this right: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11335
how would I go about adding a custom home button for icefilms. It seems as though I am only able to add scripts, and not the icefilms plugin. My fat fingers have trouble hitting the favorite button on the small iphone screen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[iPhone] Video add-ons folder gives "Remote Share: Network is not connected"0