Internet Streaming (totally out of ideas)
Hi,

I think i have searched all over the net and in this forum for a solution but i cant find anything that i have tried that could work.

My problem is that when Iam streaming a 720p movie it starts to buffer,
xvid/divx quality is fine but 720p is starting to buffer when there is a peak.

And this is when iam streaming from my parents or my friends DSL line
the speed is 16-22Mbit/s, when iam transfering a file with FTP with a speed of
17-20Mbit and that is through my VPN. The same goes with SAMBA the speed is the same. But as fast iam streaming the speed is equally the speed from the movie roughly 1.6Mbit for sound and around 2-12Mbit for the Video.

When I streaming directly when Iam home the streaming speed is steady with a 12-16Mbit on every movie like it is buffering something up ?

I have even tested it at my office in the same city without a problem, but as fast as i get to my friend or parents the speed goes down on the streaming
even though the DSL line should be handle the load without any problem.

I have watched with IPtraf and top to see the bandwith and cpu usage and neither of them is going so high that it would be any problem.

My Setup:
Server: Ubuntu Server 10.10 with OpenVPN, SAMBA, vsftpd and some other roles.
Router: Netgear WNDR3700 with OpenWRT and no limitations.
Client:Acer 3820TG Fresh Windows 7 Professional Enterprise, OpenVPN client, XBMC latest one.
Side note: Every connection is made through 100/1000Mbit ethernet cable, and the line home is 100/100 and as i said earlier the DSL line is 16/2Mbit at my parents and 22/2Mbit/ at my friend.

I have tried to setup NFS but as fast as i mount the folder to Windows 7 it kinda hangs explorer.exe or if i wait it cant connect and in the log it says
authenticated mount request from "ip"
can't get hostname of "ip"

And i have tried to set all kind of things in the exports file without any progress.

And i read that FTP could be an option but i can connect and everything but all folders is empty, even though the user iam logged in with is the "master" and root for all the folders and have rw access.

So now iam out of ideas, anyone have any suggestions ?
An fyi; not solution:

With real-time protocol services like voice or video its not just raw bandwidth that's important. Packets need to arrive in order and with minimal jitter; variance on latency

Services for voice video rely in quality of service and other means to try and meet those requirements. A raw internet connection won't neccessarily do that. Netflix etc counteract ththat with their own software.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
You could try increasing the <cachemembuffersize> setting in advancedsettings.xml
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsett...network.3E
XBMC.MyLibrary (add anything to the library)
ForTheLibrary (Argus TV & XBMC Library PVR Integration)
SageTV & XBMC PVR Integration
bradvido88 Wrote:You could try increasing the <cachemembuffersize> setting in advancedsettings.xml
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsett...network.3E

Have tried that with no result Sad
Another thing that came up i did try to add ftp and UPnP but the thing is
that both services shows empty folders just in XBMC for some reason.

I can stream via UPnP through VLC without any problem, and with FTP i can connect via browser and ftp client without any problems.

I dont get it...
Well now i know whats causing the buffering, it is SAMBA straight through.
I got another PC where i installed a clean Ubuntu 10.10 Client.
Now i could easily mount a NFS drive what i wanted from the beginning and now the stream is flawless without any buffers.

When i had SAMBA the speed went from 2Mbit-9Mbit with NFS it is between 1Mbit-15Mbit on the DSL line.

So now is my problem to get NFS work on Windows 7...
Any ideas ? Smile Otherwise i think Iam have to dual boot i guess.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Internet Streaming (totally out of ideas)0