[LIVE] No HDMI PCM Sound except for 48kHz
I'm using XBMC Live 10.1 on and outputting sound via HDMI on my nForce 630i built in sound card to an Onkyo TX-SR508 DTS/DD capable receiver.

DTS and DD5.1 passthrough works great, but when I watch anything with mp3,aac,flac... audio other than 48kHz I get no sound.

I've tried 48kHz mp3 from multiple sources, plays fine and my AV Receiver says PCM 48kHz,
44.1kHz mp3/aac plays no sound at all and my AV receiver doesn't say anything but the PCM icon is lit up, so it seems like it's getting some kind of signal but doesn't know what it is. Same thing happens with 96kHz 24bit flac audio.

My AV receiver supports 32-192kHz sample rate and 16-24 bit depth. I've also tried hooking my PC up directly to my TV to see if there's a problem with my AV receiver but the TV has the exact same problem, indicating there's something wrong with the PC.

I've googled around abit and found a how-to that didn't work and a lot of nothing.
Ok, just made a fresh install from the 10.1 CD and apt-get install samba, copied over my lircd.conf and Lircmap.xml, and then tried out the sound ...still only works for 48kHz PCM, so definitely nothing I myself messed up :p
try changing your custom audio output to hdmi_formatted
try this:

Code:
$aplay -l

on mine the output looks like this:

Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
[b]card 0[/b]: NVidia [HDA NVidia], [b]device 3[/b]: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
(bolding added)

One of the options should be recognizable as your HDMI output. Notice the Card X Device Y bit for the HDMI output? Make a note of that.

You will want to create a file called /etc/asound.conf and put this in it:

pcm.force48 {
type rate
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
}
}

Replacing the "0,3" with the appropriate values from aplay -l for your system specifying the HDMI output. Then reboot.

Finally, in XBMC, change your audio output device (and passthrough device, if necessary) to "custom" and in the name enter "force48" without the "pcm."

That will force your system to output all audio in a resampled 48KHz which HDMI will allow. Smile
blm14 Wrote:try this:

Code:
$aplay -l

Code:
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
(bolding added)

One of the options should be recognizable as your HDMI output. Notice the Card X Device Y bit for the HDMI output? Make a note of that.

pcm.force48 {
type rate
slave {
rate 48000
}
}

Replacing the "0,3" with the appropriate values from aplay -l for your system specifying the HDMI output. Then reboot.

Finally, in XBMC, change your audio output device (and passthrough device, if necessary) to "custom" and in the name enter "force48" without the "pcm."

That will force your system to output all audio in a resampled 48KHz which HDMI will allow. Smile

Thanks works great! Was thinking about something like this but lack the linux/alsa skill to do it myself Big Grin but it works great. Thanks again!

Still kinda curious about why this occurs as HDMI supports up to 8 channels of 16-bit, 20-bit and 24-bit, 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz uncompressed audio. (I know my Onkyo TX-SR508 can receive all of it) Is it the sound chip on my Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H that can't send anything other than 48 kHz PCM through HDMI or is it some kind of driver bug? (Pretty sure it worked on the exact same PC with XBMC Live 9.11, but not sure if it resampled the audio by default)
(2011-04-13, 13:53)blm14 Wrote: try this:

Code:
$aplay -l

Code:
(bolding added)

pcm.force48 {
type rate
slave {
rate 48000
}
}

Hey i have an ATI card this is my aplay

Code:
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 0/1

And ive added "force48" for the settings in xbmc

But when a film/music is using this all I hear is static?

Code:
pcm.force48 {
type rate
slave {
pcm "hw:1,3"
rate 48000
}
}
Is this set right?
Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] No HDMI PCM Sound except for 48kHz0