This is silly, I forgot how to update XBMC
I searched but couldn't find a clear thread for this, might be worth adding to the wiki?

I forgot how to update XBMC, I'm on 9.11 and want to go up to the latest but forgot how to go about it. Can't find a guide on the process, I don't want to mess up my library or settings etc

T.Hanks

Download from here:

http://xbmc.org/download/

Drag the app to the application folder (or wherever you put XBMC). It shouldn't cause any problems with the library or settings.
Hmm,

that should've worked, but when i try this, Finder complains that XBMC already exists in the directory (fair enough), so i go "Replace" then it complains I dont have permission to access some of the items (but i do). Had to recover it from time machine.

another thing that puzzled me, my current XBMC program is ~209.1MB and the XBMC 10.1 download is ~45MB. Are you sure i'm not going to lost things in the upgrade? What about my themes etc? They are contained in the XBMC program

thanks for your help, i'm hating that i'm puzzled by a simple update :Huh
XBMC 10.1, Mac Mini 1.83Ghz, 1.25GB, 80GB + 4TB
Hmm,

Got my XBMC setup almost perfect just down to these 2 problems:

1. Still can't figure out how to update without losing library and settings
2. Still a very low volume in XBMC compared to Quicktime and iTunes
You don't lose your library or settings when you update (as mentioned before).
It's as simple as (successfully) dragging the new XBMC that you downloaded into your applications folder then running it.

Turn up the volume in XBMC by pressing the "+" key on your keyboard. It usually has some onscreen indicator when a button is pressed

Other
The download is about 45 mb when in disk image format, when extracted it is bigger. Settings and library aren't stored in the app itself

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
You shouldn't lose your library and settings. I had to kill the xbmchelper process before updating to nightly. Maybe there's an permission issue with your XBMC userdata directory?
Hi thanks for your response, I'll detail what i've tried and hopefully it highlights anything i might be doing wrong:

- Downloaded 10.1 from XBMC.org,
- Open it, shows me icon to drag into the Applications folder. I do so.
- Ok, copies over 97mb (Original XBMC folder in Applications folder= 417mb), worrying.
- When I start up XBMC next, the skin is reset, so are some of my customisations and some media info in the library is lost (perhaps attached to skin)

I am a step further this time though, now it will actually update here's the important part for anyone else with a similar problem:

Log out of user, then log back in and install XBMC. If you try and install XBMC after it has already been running it may give you an error

2. Have adjusted both the Mac system volume and XBMC's volume control aswell as the audio menu's volume and I still have to run my TV at 75/100 volume. as a comparison, the same volume can be achieved with VLC etc at about ~15/100 playing the exact same file. This one really puzzles me

toiva Wrote:You shouldn't lose your library and settings. I had to kill the xbmchelper process before updating to nightly. Maybe there's an permission issue with your XBMC userdata directory?

Yeah this was it, had to log out to clear any remnants of XBMC running in that session. I've still lost some settings, particularly skin settings, i've lost skins too, i have only confluence to choose from now. Going to TM the folder back and investigate

EDIT 2:

At some point or another I was adding new skins to the application folder rather than the user folder for XBMC, so now its ok, i moved the skins over before updating XBMC.

Now just the volume issue, I'm willing to pay someone to make a volume hack, i need to do whatever VLC does to amplify the volume by x5 without loss of quality. Huh
What about settings/system/audio output/Boost volume level ?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:What about settings/system/audio output/Boost volume level ?

Played with everything i could find including the MIDI control in Utilities but its all maxed already. But the odd thing is that it is only XBMC that plays quiet, all other programs are roughly 5x louder on the same system, no changes. So XBMC's native audio is very quiet here in one way or another Eek
You've tried the files your playing using XBMC in a different program and they're not the same level?

Yep thats right, exactly that. I've tried several programs and only XBMC has a low level.
Have exactly the same prob. Have invested considerably in a XBMC-based setup, only to discover sould is much too low. One idea, could AudioHijack, Boom or similar software be used? Prob not.
may be to cable sound separately from the Mac to the telly, I understand some sets have separate HDMI sound in. The best thing, though, was if this could be fixed in XBMC..
@Marcos: Strange, by XBMC isn't quieter than VLC etc.

There is meant to be a reworked sound module coming to XBMC next release so that may help in future

Will probably only be in the Intel version, will not help me..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
This is silly, I forgot how to update XBMC0