Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Disable the composite extension, turn on sync to vblank for opengl in nvidia-settings and don't enable triple buffering for opengl.
alanwww1 Wrote:It is the beggining part of Starwars ep 3, where the letters are scrolling. It is a great part to check stutter, because it is long enough to see any dropped frame. Sometimes i have to run it 2 times to see, but it is certainly there. Dropped frames with vdpau and no dropped frames without it.

Edit: Please note that it is a PAL 25fps video. You have to have your refresh rate 50 ot 75Hz to play it smooth !

Maybe it is just my hardware. Can you guys check if this sample plays perfectly stutterless with your hardware ?

I don't see any stutter and there's no dropped frames. Plays just fine on my hardware
been gone for a while guys but good news! after trying several different svn's and switching back and forth between stable and beta nvidia drivers, the solution to my problem was to set vsync from 'always on' to 'let the driver decide'... vdpau works very well now, the only 2 vids i have any problems with are the killa sample (still stutters, but not nearly as bad as before) and the 1080p rip of the new batman (but i have several other 1080p movies and they seem to play fine, i'm gonna guess it has to do with how it was encoded)... can't believe it was such a simple fix... even the gui is way smoother now... thanks for all the help Smile ...
Where can I set let the driver decide? With V_SYNC on, I still get occasional tearing on my G8200. Can you comment whether you see any tearing, gotoman?

What should I be setting the video resolution etc to? Native of my projector?
cejstrup Wrote:I don't see any stutter and there's no dropped frames. Plays just fine on my hardware

Hi Cejstrup !

Can you please pastebin your xorg.conf ?
Are you using the onboard soundcard ?
Is suspend working for you ?
If renderer is set to vdpau and software upscaling is enabled for sd videos, does it actually activate when watching "non-vdpau" sd videos? I don't see any difference in picture quality and cpu usage is too low. Using lanczos it should be much higher.

Another thing i've been wondering about is "set as defaults" option in video osd. Vdpau postprocessing options doesn't seem to stick. Or they do until i play content which not decoded using vdpau and change some options. Next time i play vdpau stuff sharpness and noise reduction is back at zero. :confused2:
mr.b Wrote:i posted this question about a week ago and either no one saw or no one cared Smile I'm ok if no one cared, but I'll try one more time in case it was just missed.

I'm interested to know what you guys consider to be the best quality settings (in terms of vdpau-hardware accelerated post processing). any thoughts?
i have got no idea whatsoever.. but i have read somewhere that the noise reduction option can improve p.q. somewhat..
alanwww1 Wrote:Hi Cejstrup !

Can you please pastebin your xorg.conf ?
Are you using the onboard soundcard ?
Is suspend working for you ?

Sure. Here's the xorg.conf

http://pastebin.com/m7f883b45

(ignore the fact that it says gf 6200,I haven't bothered to change it since it's only a comment Laugh )

I'm using the onboard sound. Just the analog sound output though since I only have a regular stereo amp.

I don't use suspend,but I've just checked and it works fine as well Smile

I'm running this xbmc version: xmbc pre-9.04 svn:18429
cejstrup Wrote:Sure. Here's the xorg.conf
http://pastebin.com/m7f883b45
I'm using the onboard sound. Just the analog sound output though since I only have a regular stereo amp.
I don't use suspend,but I've just checked and it works fine as well Smile
'm running this xbmc version: XBMC pre-9.04 svn:18429

Good to know there is someone who can have this mobo work properly. I have major problems with hdmi audio and suspend on all disrtos and newest Alsa.

What is aplay -l givies you out ? For me the onboard audio is wrogly detected as ALC883/885 but it is ALC889A.

I see you use only one modeline with 50hz refresh rate. How do you watch 24fps content on this refresh rate ?

Whick XBMCLive version are you using ?

Whatever i do i have visible framedrops with vdpau and without i don't.
alanwww1 Wrote:Good to know there is someone who can have this mobo work properly. I have major problems with hdmi audio and suspend on all disrtos and newest Alsa.

What is aplay -l givies you out ? For me the onboard audio is wrogly detected as ALC883/885 but it is ALC889A.

I see you use only one modeline with 50hz refresh rate. How do you watch 24fps content on this refresh rate ?

Whick XBMCLive version are you using ?

Whatever i do i have visible framedrops with vdpau and without i don't.

Soundcard is detected as ALC883,so the same as for you.No issues with sound though.But again,I only use the analog output so that's probably why.

My TV is unfortunately not 24p capable Sad However it's not a problem watching 24p content though, the small judder while panning is barely noticeable at all.

I'm running xbmc live 8.10.2 beta1. But I didn't have issues with the previous version either.

In fact I've never seen problems with vdpau until I tried a more recent nvidia driver. That's why I'm now back on version 180.37 which works just fine.

The more recent one maxed out my CPU and apparently it was because it didn't render using vdpau somehow. But I don't have the CPU horsepower to render without vdpau anymore.
nipnup Wrote:Where can I set let the driver decide? With V_SYNC on, I still get occasional tearing on my G8200. Can you comment whether you see any tearing, gotoman?

What should I be setting the video resolution etc to? Native of my projector?

in the display settings in xbmc just turn the vsync setting to let the driver decide and restart xbmc.... i didn't add any vsync settings to my xorg.conf, and i get no tearing in xbmc... the gui is snappier and vdpau works well too....

as far as resolution you should probably try auto first... however if i do auto i get 1080 at 30hz instead of 60 i have to manually set it to 1080 @ 60hz to get it to work properly
Oh I had not seen that option. I set it, had a few seg faults but now it seems to play just fine without any tearing.

If I can get it to dump core, I will submit the dumps.

Thanks! Big Grin

Edit: there is still occasional (like every 30 to 90s) tearing but not necessarily related to the amount of movement. Will see how to get rid of that.
toiva Wrote:If renderer is set to vdpau and software upscaling is enabled for sd videos, does it actually activate when watching "non-vdpau" sd videos? I don't see any difference in picture quality and cpu usage is too low. Using lanczos it should be much higher.

Another thing i've been wondering about is "set as defaults" option in video osd. Vdpau postprocessing options doesn't seem to stick. Or they do until i play content which not decoded using vdpau and change some options. Next time i play vdpau stuff sharpness and noise reduction is back at zero. :confused2:

I tested sharpness control a little bit more. If i set it to max and save it as default setting, stop the video and start it again the slider is in maximum position, but the sharpening isn't applied. I have to drop it down to 0.99, for instance, to activate.

Also, when vdpau is used as a renderer, image from dvd iso's is complete off-centered. Only the top half of the picture is shown. It should fall back to GLSL or whatever when watching mpeg2 content, right?

I wonder if i'm doing something wrong since i seem to have so many issues. :p

I compile XBMC from the main branch, with pulse disabled. Intrepid/GF9400GT/Nvidia driver 185.13. Xorg.conf is same as in the wiki, i only changed HorizSync and VertRefresh to match my projector.
Auto refresh rate is always on, and strictbindings are enabled in advancedsettings.xml.

Vdpau playback itself works very well, no dropped frames or cpu usage issues or artifacts or anything like that.
What is the syntax for adding strictbindings? I cannot find any reference to it...
biggles Wrote:What is the syntax for adding strictbindings? I cannot find any reference to it...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=304...tcount=752