Microsoft Password
Hello All

I'm new to all this and I've just bought a Pi and loaded it with XBMC, when I try to access my computer to share folders it asks for a user name and password.

The computer was bought new loaded with windows 7 Ultimate about 3yrs ago and to my knowledge it never had a user name and password.

The user name is main, never needed a user name or password. I am the only user(Admin) and the computer boots straight to the desktop.

I have gone to users in the control panel and turned on require a password on boot, tried using that to access the shared folders but no joy.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks John S Wales UK
Can you provide a little more information? Which XBMC/Kodi version (since you said XBMC, I'm going to assume it's XBMC for the Pi and not a recent build) are you using?

Connection method to network?
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Morning Piers

On the summary info page it says Raspbmc is running XBMC 13.2 Git:20140901-867305b.

Connection to my network is by Ethernet cable to a BT 5 Router

We are on the same network 192.168.1.***

John
The route I take to the problem is

Music,Files, Add Music Browse, Windows Network (SMB), Workgroup, Main-Pc, then a pop up with Lock Settings on top, then asks for username and password.
THe shared folders on your Win7 PC are protected.
You need to go to the PC and use Windows Explorer:
- Select the shared folder
- Right-click and select properties
- Select the Sharing tab
Here you can modify if the folder is to be shared and what kind of permissions are used

- Then you also will have to select the Security tab
Here you will set the permissions on the local file system such that it will be possible to access the folder via the share

Note that the share and the file system are "connected" in series so both must allow access for it to be possible.

Finally, to complicate matters, Microsoft has provided Windows with different security models and it seems like you are not using a high security system (since it boots right into the desktop). I have never done so, all my PC's have had user accounts and a security model that requires user login to access anything at all. So I might be off regarding your specific PC....
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Bosse_B

Tried all that, the folders I have on the computer drives are all shared. ticked it all and still no joy I can watch them on the daughters tablet with no problems...

Think I'll stick to windows for watching movies on the TV, this Pi lark seems to be not worth the effort of doing something so simple. Format the card and load Raspian back on it I think...

Thanks both for your comments

John
John,

For the username, if you go to the start menu and look at the very top right (just below the icon picture) that should show your username (between the icon and "documents" normally). As to the password, when you first set Windows up and gave it that account name it will have asked you for a password (the admin password). This will also be the password that you use to unlock your computer, for example from the screensaver if you have that password protected.

If you just enter those credentials when the Pi asks then you should be able to get access to the shared folder. The details previously given should help you share the folder properly from the Windows machine, but note that you need to share it using the right-click>properties>sharing tab rather than the "share with" option in the right-click menu itself, as that's for Windows to Windows sharing via the homegroup (which the Pi isn't part of, as it's not a Windows machine). If you go to the sharing tab, you can use the options there to set who things are shared with and with what privs.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Hi Darren
I used the right click routine, I have a funny feeling it maybe this operating system, just odd little things have been happening now and again.
I've run various programs to see if a virus or something is on here but nothing has shown up. (maybe a root virus)
Like I said earlier the username is Main, it was set up like this when I had the computer, never used a password on this machine.
Actually this computer is due for a upgrade soon, so when I wipe it I want reinstall on a SSD, bit quicker I'll have a username then, think that maybe a good idea.
Get back to you soon if I have a problem again
John
S Wales UK
John, did you try adding a 2nd user to your Windows machine, something even as simple as user: xbmc, pw: xbmc? Sorry, if that was already covered above, I just quickly glanced through it. I had the same issue as it seems you're having, as the Pi requires both username & password. Once I set up a 2nd user in Windows, everything shared perfectly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Microsoft Password0