ATV4 vs. AFTV
I have a whole host of ATV2 running the last build version of Kodi but it's time to consider a new hardware platform. Now that Kodi can be sideloaded to the ATV4 I need to make a decision.

The two platforms I'm considering are the ATV4 and the Amazon Fire TV.

I can't seem to find a good comparison of the AFTV vs. ATV4 kodi implementation. Is there someplace I can find this?

Thanks in advance.
AmazonFirex4/iPhone6s/iPad2/NSS326
Kodi - be brave and help - update w/nightly builds
Because it's apple and orange, pun not intended.
(2016-03-25, 06:44)cd2022 Wrote: Because it's apple and orange, pun not intended.

Really? :-) The Kodi feature comparison is so different between those two devices that the comparison can't take place? I'm looking at this more from a Kodi implementation perspective as the resultant hardware support seems to be adequate with both.
No not the Kodi features, but how the two platforms are different in so many ways to implement Kodi.
I'm just reacting from wrxtasy post about picking the right box. In that, he says:

"Amazon FireTV devices are primarily DRM video streamers First that also happen to run Kodi, with a bunch of Kodi limitations that may annoy some users. It pays to do some research before purchase."

That thread can be found here.

I'm trying to figure out the details that led him to state that there are a "bunch" of limitations. If those limitations are things that I use every day with my current ATV2, then that could be a deciding factor.
The key word is that Amazon FTV just happens to run Kodi, can't say the same for Apple 2 or 4.
(2016-03-25, 07:12)cd2022 Wrote: The key word is that Amazon FTV just happens to run Kodi, can't say the same for Apple 2 or 4.

Sorry - is this some kind of enigma that I'm supposed to figure out? These are not the Kodi platform you are looking for :-)
No, to implement Kodi in Apple 2, especially 4 (not that I have owned an Apple 4 gen) you would have to jump hoops and huddles, thus wrxtasy's observation .
You mean "implementation" (present tense) since Kodi IS implemented on both of those platforms and current version is available for ATV4. Installing Kodi - specifically on the ATV4 seems pretty straightforward.

link

Am I missing something here? I'm not trying to be obtuse - just trying to figure out what the best option is.
That's what I meant, if you think that's easy then implement Kodi on Amazon FTV is about 10x easier. AppleTV to Amazon FTV is like a walled garden to a wild flower field.
(2016-03-25, 07:30)cd2022 Wrote: That's what I meant, if you think that's easy then implement Kodi on Amazon FTV is about 10x easier. AppleTV to Amazon FTV is like a walled garden to a wild flower field.

Okay - but that doesn't answer my OP. Leaving the implementation part aside, from a user perspective, what are the deltas between the two device's when running Kodi.
In the short term, the Amazon device will probably be better for pure Kodi usage, mainly because tvOS/ATV4 support is newer/has bugs to work out, etc. Plus, if you want the full Kodi installation you have to redo the install once every three months (for a free dev account. I think you can go longer on a paid Apple dev account) due to how "sideloading" works on iOS.

In the long term, I honestly have no idea. Most likely there is great potential, or otherwise MrMC probably wouldn't have been interested in working on ATV4 stuff.
I do not know everything about the ATV4 and MrMC to comment, but what I do know about the FireTV2 Platform is:

- It can Hardware decode 1080p/4K 8/10 bit HEVC
- Using the Firestarter App has apparently now made it very easy to install and update Kodi. (one or two clicks)
- You get to use the full Monty Version of Kodi, which means all those Python scripted Addons will work, that is not the case with MrMC on the ATV4 from tvOS App store, as Python had to be removed for Apple App Store acceptance.
- Only the FireTV's will give you 1080p/4K Amazon instant Video streaming, iTunes is exclusive to Apple tho.

- Unless I'm mistaken both platforms will not output 23.976fps properly synced video. 23.976fps video at 60Hz will result in minor 3:2 pulldown, that can be masked with TV motion smoothing but may still annoy some users.

Who wants to lay down a bet that MrMC is coming to the Amazon App Store and Amazon FireTV as well ? Wink

This is a very handy chart:

Compare Streaming Media Players

My ATV4 runs Kodi really well. Way faster than my old ATV2 did. If you have other Apple devices, it's a no brainer. All the benefits of tvOS and that App Store/ecosystem makes it worth it. And it's great how it will always work with the latest update and no need to jailbreak it anymore Smile
(2016-03-25, 11:30)wrxtasy Wrote: Who wants to lay down a bet that MrMC is coming to the Amazon App Store and Amazon FireTV as well ? Wink

* MrMC goes into silent mode...
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV4 vs. AFTV0