Poll: What should be name of Xbox Media Center now that there is an Linux port?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
XBMC as a meaningless acronym, the X.B.M.C. standing for nothing.
55.45%
XBMC-Linux
15.84%
XBMC for Linux, XBMC for Mac, XBMC for Windows, XBMC for Xbox, etc.
10.89%
XBMC as an abbreviation for "XrossBox Media Center" (pronounced 'Cross-Box Media Center')
11.88%
I have another great name and I'll post it!
5.94%
Total
101 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

What will XBox Media Center going to be renamed to now that it is cross-platform?
I expect the linux version to work exactly the same as the xbox1 version so XBMC seems very appropriate Smile
"XBMC-Linux" sounds logical to me. Once all of the current Xbox features are duplicated and stablized, I expect the developers would be more excited about adding new features than just maintaining a port. If nothing else, at least an architecture that allows the addition of new capabilities is expected.
I would like it to just stay as XBMC that stands for Xbox Media Center. It has a certain touch of nostalgia and we can't let that die.

If we don't like Xbox Media Center still, I also like XBMC as just a meaningless acronym because it will always be known as XBMC to me.
BenO169 Wrote:I would like it to just stay as XBMC that stands for Xbox Media Center. It has a certain touch of nostalgia and we can't let that die.

If we don't like Xbox Media Center still, I also like XBMC as just a meaningless acronym because it will always be known as XBMC to me.

I think, keep XBMC as an acronym but have a different logo for each platform.
Like for linux, have a big ass Penquin! Nod
please, no lame penguins Tongue
LBMC, I think is easy and clearly links to both XBMC and Linux. Also, Linux Box Media Center gives the idea of a Linux Media Center but the "Box" word implies that it is an easy, almost-no-configuration device.
ultrabrutal Wrote:please, no lame penguins Tongue

Hey, "Lame Penguin Media Center" is not a bad name, good idea!!!!
what about "meox"?

meox...media on x

the variable x could be windows, xbox, linux...

here is a 10min powerpoint mockup (unfortunately i am no artist).

but XBMC is also great...
IMHO, penguins are WAY overdone for linux software. It's fine for one project... but it gets to be overkill. This coming from a guy who has played online games as Chilly since 1996. Smile
or better - what about mox?

sorry, i am a finance guy and need some time out Laugh
2 developers already said they're sticking with XBMC (strong brand, etc), but that they have yet to decide what it will stand for. No need to toss additional ideas out, me thinks.
...we also said that none of the letters in XBMC abbreviation should stand for a specific operating-system/platform, ("**** for Xbox", "**** for Linux", "**** for Windows", etc. is fine but) the name/abbreviation should be platform-independent, so any name suggestions with "Linux", "OSX", "Windows" and so on in the name will just be ignored. So if you guys really want to help, think of a unique (not taken .com/.org domain) name that has the abbreviation X.B.M.C. where none of the letters stand for (or relates to) a specific operating-system or hardware-platform.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Keep it simple?

teamxbmc.com
xbmcsoftware.com
xbmcmediacenter.com (redundant?)
XBMCentertainment.com

iXBMC.com(apple branded)

Kxbmc.com(kde influenced)

ProjectXBMC.com

PureXBMC.com

LiveXBMC.com

theXBMC.com

1337XBMC.com

ok ok ok im done for now
QuickJolt Wrote:XBMCentertainment.com

iXBMC.com(apple branded)

Kxbmc.com(kde influenced)

ProjectXBMC.com

PureXBMC.com

LiveXBMC.com

theXBMC.com

1337XBMC.com

ok ok ok im done for now

It's really probably a bad idea to start putting all those web address suggestions on the page, just let the devs/managers sort it out...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What will XBox Media Center going to be renamed to now that it is cross-platform?0