Kodi directory copy to other insatnces no longer works for Krypton/Win Store
All, I have multiple instances of Kodi and in v16 have been setting up look/feel/plugins/etc on one PC and then copying the kodi directory to the others to get them all the same. I recently downloaded Krypton AND changed to the official Win 10 store app.

Seems like this approach no longer works.I am now using the kodi directory under the new location "packages/etc/etc' but to no avail. When I start the Kodi on the other PCs, it says there are missing plugins/addons etc -- which there are not (at least they seem to be in the addons directory). It has a ton of failures/can't install dependencies/etc.

Anyone have any insights into this?

I may revert to non-win 10 store version to see if that helps at all. Not sure if its windows app store related or Krypton changes ...
So, on the target PC I reverted to the downloadable version (non-Windows store app). Still have issues so I am now investigating the SOURCE kodi directory for possible issues (permissions, etc) ...
Ok, so some more data while trying to get to the bottom of this:

On the PC that the Windows APP version of Krypton seems to work ok (my source PC), I have discovered that Krypton is STILL USING THE OLD user/roaming/kodi directory. Here is what I am observing:

1. There IS a new kodi directory under the 'packages' directory (as expected).
2. There is my OLD kodi 16 directory under the OLD roaming location (as expected -- I just left it there).
3. I could not rename the old directory -- something had it open (couldn't tell what). Still couldn't rename after stopping Kodi and everything else.
4. After not starting Kodi 17 on Windows startup, I could rename the OLD folder. This indicated possibly Kodi was opening the OLD location (!!!!)
5. After renaming the OLD folder, Krypton no longer started. Hmmmm, I guess it was using something from there (What!)?
6. Renameing the OLD folder back to kodi allowed Krypton to start fine. ANd os Kodi was definitely using something from there ... Huh?

Sooooo, long story short, the upgrade/move to Windows store app version combo seemed to convert SOME settings over but leaves some in old location. Not sure root cause or what exactly is left in old location BUT this explains why a copy of the NEW kodi directory to another PC has missing items -- they are still in the OLD location on the source PC (which I didn't copy)!!!!!!

I am going to revert to the downloaded version of Kryption and redo the Entire upgrade process and see the results. Sigh.

If anyone knows what's up let me know -- I'll report back on downloaded version upgrade to see if it works that way.
Ok, to close this out -- the OLD way of downloading still works exactly like before as far as copying the kodi directory to another PC. So I am sticking with that.

A few notes on the Windows App Way:
- Some of the userdata .xml files got corrupted (advancedsettings for one) by the 'move' from the old location.
- I was doing an upgrade from 16 AND a move to Windows App. Possibly not a good combo?
- It still used the OLD kodi application/roaming directory for some items -- somehow it used the advancedsettings from there!
- If you move the new kodi directory, not everything is in it from the upgrade -- some it left in the old location.
Yes, the MS store / UWP version of Kodi places all your userdata in a different location from desktop version. Regardless, copying add-ons folders instead of install from zip/install from repository no longer works in Kodi 17 as a feature.

scott s.
With Kodi 17 if you copy an addon into the Kodi directory (i.e. without installing from zip or installing from repo), that addon is marked as disabled. You have to go in and manually enable every addon you manually copy in *and* find all the dependencies and enable them manually as well. That is independent of the choice regarding the Windows Store App.

Basically if you were used to copying your entire userdata directory from one place to another as a way to setup a new machine, that won't really work anymore. You could still copy everything in userdata *except* the addon folder and then manually reinstall the addons. Honestly, that might be faster, as it would auto-enable them and download the dependencies you need.
Question , If I uninstall Kodi would I have to reload all my add ons or will they still be there when I re-install ?
reason for question I add Phenomenal skin last night no I cant get on to anything
(2017-02-21, 08:39)jasonmaddog Wrote: Question , If I uninstall Kodi would I have to reload all my add ons or will they still be there when I re-install ?
reason for question I add Phenomenal skin last night no I cant get on to anything

As long as they were enabled before the reinstall and you don't delete your userdata folder, yes. That said, it might not solve your problem if there's something wrong with the skin. If you just delete the skin folder from your userdata/addons folder, Kodi should revert back to Estuary at next launch.
Just to clarify - if you're using windows in portable mode, setting it up on one machine and copying the whole shebang to another (and why anyone would do anything else on windows if you want multiple installs I just don't know) or copying everything from %APPDATA% \ kodi it will still work just fine.
Copying just addons across (without the addonsxx.db file) is where you hit a (not very solid) wall.
Best feature eva.
(2017-02-21, 05:46)pkscout Wrote: With Kodi 17 if you copy an addon into the Kodi directory (i.e. without installing from zip or installing from repo), that addon is marked as disabled. You have to go in and manually enable every addon you manually copy in *and* find all the dependencies and enable them manually as well. That is independent of the choice regarding the Windows Store App.

Basically if you were used to copying your entire userdata directory from one place to another as a way to setup a new machine, that won't really work anymore. You could still copy everything in userdata *except* the addon folder and then manually reinstall the addons. Honestly, that might be faster, as it would auto-enable them and download the dependencies you need.

Maybe you know more about this, but a problem I consistently have is that add-ons that are classed as "modules" only get installed when listed as dependencies in other add-ons (when those add-ons are first installed), and there is no UI available to install or enable them directly.

scott s.
(2017-02-21, 22:09)scott967 Wrote: Maybe you know more about this, but a problem I consistently have is that add-ons that are classed as "modules" only get installed when listed as dependencies in other add-ons (when those add-ons are first installed), and there is no UI available to install or enable them directly.

scott s.
Isn't the point of those 'modules' that they're used by other add-ons rather than directly, so the only time they're installed is if you install an addon that requires them? Why else would you need them (genuine Q, you obviously do).
As a hacky workaround - make a fake addon that installs your modules? It wouldn't have to do anything, just have those modules in the <required> field in addon.xml - don't see why that shouldn't work (though there may be a better / easier way).
(2017-02-21, 22:25)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-02-21, 22:09)scott967 Wrote: Maybe you know more about this, but a problem I consistently have is that add-ons that are classed as "modules" only get installed when listed as dependencies in other add-ons (when those add-ons are first installed), and there is no UI available to install or enable them directly.

scott s.
Isn't the point of those 'modules' that they're used by other add-ons rather than directly, so the only time they're installed is if you install an addon that requires them? Why else would you need them (genuine Q, you obviously do).
As a hacky workaround - make a fake addon that installs your modules? It wouldn't have to do anything, just have those modules in the <required> field in addon.xml - don't see why that shouldn't work (though there may be a better / easier way).

Since I do some skinning, I would like to just copy my skin add-on over. But the modules only get installed when the skin gets installed. For me, it would be helpful if there was a "check dependencies" builtin that would do this recursively.

Also AFAICT, if a module becomes an "orphaned dependency" there isn't anything you can do about it via the UI.

I once wanted to look at the "requests" python module in Kodi but without any way to get it in the UI I had to use a browser to the Kodi mirrors and find the zip or check it on github.

scott s.
Installing in the GUI isn't possible AFAIK, but you can manage what's there via system > system settings > addons > manage dependencies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi directory copy to other insatnces no longer works for Krypton/Win Store0