Kodi 19 - sporadically no Sound and Video freezes
(2021-10-21, 12:22)SakuraKira Wrote:
(2021-10-11, 18:37)dpar Wrote:
(2021-10-11, 13:17)jogal Wrote:  

Then is not same issue because original post is referring to 19 rc1 and 19.0/1 

In any case no debug logs at all (the one included in the second post is empty) and for new issue also no logs. Then we can't do anything.
I'll note I've seen this same issue occur. It happens randomly. When it does occur, I'll start a video and there is no sound, then the video skips badly for a few seconds and then completely freezes. Next I stop the video, and if I try to play anything else at all (doesn't matter is it's passthrough/mp3 audio etc) there is no sound. The only way to get sound back is to turn off my nuc and receiver and reboot everything, then sound will be back to normal until it happens again. The issue is very intermittent so it's hard to replicate. I will say I've noticed it the most with 4k HDR content with passthrough. If I start then stop multiple 4k HDR videos I can USUALLY replicate the issue within maybe 5 - 10 plays or less, but not always.

Here's my equipment:

NUC7i5bnh
Onkyo TX-NR676 Receiver
LG OLED65C7P TV

I was actually hoping 19.2 would correct this issue, but I haven't had time to update yet to try it, so I'm still running 19.1. But it sounds like it didn't fix the issue,

I realize this isn't the most helpful for the Kodi team since I don't have a debug log, but I wanted to chime in to add another person to the list of users experiencing this, if I can I'll be sure to get a debug log if I see it again.

Something else to note: I haven't seen the issue since I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of my Intel display/audio drivers, including removing all old EDID info from the registry. I can't say if it fixed the issue since I haven't watched enough content since I reinstalled the drivers to have a big enough sample size. But here is what I did in case it does help someone else:

1) Completely uninstalled the Intel display/audio drivers
2) Deleted all of the EDID information from the registry (I had several old devices/information listed there so I cleaned it up to ensure starting from scratch
3) Fresh install of the Intel drivers

This fixed a couple of other issues I was having that seemed to have stemmed from the upgrade from 18 to 19.1, so I'm hopeful it corrected this as well.

With a fresh windows install. The issue took longer to reappear but it definitely came back.
Hi,

I know you said you tried DIRECTSOUND and looking at your paste file you have a load of audiodecoders loaded, are they all needed?

I had similar problem when using wasapi with KODI Win 10 Leia and Matrix, (though I used out of box with minimal addons) as it locks the device (exclusive control) - have you tried Audio output device DIRECTSOUND:  Passthrough output device DIRECTSOUND: Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver - yes DTS Capable receiver - Yes?

You must shutdown Kodi normally and then reboot your windows machine
(2021-10-21, 13:29)fsurfer Wrote:
(2021-10-21, 12:22)SakuraKira Wrote:
(2021-10-11, 18:37)dpar Wrote: I'll note I've seen this same issue occur. It happens randomly. When it does occur, I'll start a video and there is no sound, then the video skips badly for a few seconds and then completely freezes. Next I stop the video, and if I try to play anything else at all (doesn't matter is it's passthrough/mp3 audio etc) there is no sound. The only way to get sound back is to turn off my nuc and receiver and reboot everything, then sound will be back to normal until it happens again. The issue is very intermittent so it's hard to replicate. I will say I've noticed it the most with 4k HDR content with passthrough. If I start then stop multiple 4k HDR videos I can USUALLY replicate the issue within maybe 5 - 10 plays or less, but not always.

Here's my equipment:

NUC7i5bnh
Onkyo TX-NR676 Receiver
LG OLED65C7P TV

I was actually hoping 19.2 would correct this issue, but I haven't had time to update yet to try it, so I'm still running 19.1. But it sounds like it didn't fix the issue,

I realize this isn't the most helpful for the Kodi team since I don't have a debug log, but I wanted to chime in to add another person to the list of users experiencing this, if I can I'll be sure to get a debug log if I see it again.

Something else to note: I haven't seen the issue since I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of my Intel display/audio drivers, including removing all old EDID info from the registry. I can't say if it fixed the issue since I haven't watched enough content since I reinstalled the drivers to have a big enough sample size. But here is what I did in case it does help someone else:

1) Completely uninstalled the Intel display/audio drivers
2) Deleted all of the EDID information from the registry (I had several old devices/information listed there so I cleaned it up to ensure starting from scratch
3) Fresh install of the Intel drivers

This fixed a couple of other issues I was having that seemed to have stemmed from the upgrade from 18 to 19.1, so I'm hopeful it corrected this as well.

With a fresh windows install. The issue took longer to reappear but it definitely came back.
Hi,

I know you said you tried DIRECTSOUND and looking at your paste file you have a load of audiodecoders loaded, are they all needed?

I had similar problem when using wasapi with KODI Win 10 Leia and Matrix, (though I used out of box with minimal addons) as it locks the device (exclusive control) - have you tried Audio output device DIRECTSOUND:  Passthrough output device DIRECTSOUND: Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver - yes DTS Capable receiver - Yes?

You must shutdown Kodi normally and then reboot your windows machine

Not all are needed but this is my actual Cinemaroom konfig.
The Problem also occurs if I have a fresh install of Kodi without further addons.
The problem also occurs (but more rarely) if I use your settings of directsound for passthrough. Actually it also occurs in this setup with movies which have FLAC sounds which are not passed through.
Also wasapi is needed for TrueHD and DTS HD and so on, I have a really neat setup here with Infinity Kappa 8.2i for fronts (on an arcam amp) and Heco Superior 850 as backs. Then a nubert CS4 as center and a klipsch R115 sub. So the difference in sound is actually noticeable. Normal audio device is set as direct sound btw because the problem occurs less often.
I must mention that with 17.3 I never had this problem!

But as mentioned before the problem persists between all setups on Kodi RC1 till 19.1 nightly from end of August. 19.2 I will try now but I am not optimistic that it helps.

Also mentionable:
I can mitigate it by not using the fixed refresh rate (which is also inconvenient) it seems.

I must add that in 2 of 3 used Kodi-NUCs I actually use directsound for both (one even without passthrough at all). It seems to be a wasapi problem because it rarely occurs with the other config but it does (far less often).

The problem never appears if I have a Playlist with files of same refreshrate and I watch through it (so no refreshrate change in between = no problem), given the first refreshrate change works.
As with any major update you try and if it doesn't work, you roll-back to a version that does - until problem is fixed.

I tried Win 11 and now I'm back with 10, same applies to Matrix & Leia I have a very large media library (all item have uptodate nfo's) and scraping takes too long, so I remain on 18.9

Update:- Now using Matrix
(2021-10-21, 15:38)fsurfer Wrote: As with any major update you try and if it doesn't work, you roll-back to a version that does - until problem is fixed.

I tried Win 11 and now I'm back with 10, same applies to Matrix & Leia I have a very large media library (all item have uptodate nfo's) and scraping takes too long, so I remain on 18.9

Problem is, last working was 17.3 and many plugins won’t work anymore. Also 4K HDR Support is needed so this is no Option.
xml:

<cache>
<memorysize>524288000</memorysize> <!--524288000 = 500MB --> 
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<readfactor>10</readfactor>
</cache>
 <video>
<!--<enablehighqualityhwscalers>true</enablehighqualityhwscalers>-->
<dxvaallowhqscaling>true</dxvaallowhqscaling>
<!--<fpsdetect>0</fpsdetect>-->
</video>

Why are u using these trash in advancedsettings?

Take into account that Kodi has evolved and highly customized settings that previously worked well may no longer work.  ==> please clean install  C L E A N

As reference I have a NUC8i3BEK and works fine with all default advanced settings and I use for 4K HDR up to 60 fps, WASAPI passtrough, switch refresh rate at Start/Stop and now with TrueHD ATMOS high bitrate with zero issues. And I use it almost every day. Media contents are in a DiskStation NAS accessed with SMB and other Windows 10 desktop PC.

And some days ago I updated NUC to Windows 11 and works all fine as before.
(2021-10-22, 09:53)jogal Wrote:
xml:

<cache>
<memorysize>524288000</memorysize> <!--524288000 = 500MB --> 
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<readfactor>10</readfactor>
</cache>
 <video>
<!--<enablehighqualityhwscalers>true</enablehighqualityhwscalers>-->
<dxvaallowhqscaling>true</dxvaallowhqscaling>
<!--<fpsdetect>0</fpsdetect>-->
</video>

Why are u using these trash in advancedsettings?

Take into account that Kodi has evolved and highly customized settings that previously worked well may no longer work.  ==> please clean install  C L E A N

As reference I have a NUC8i3BEK and works fine with all default advanced settings and I use for 4K HDR up to 60 fps, WASAPI passtrough, switch refresh rate at Start/Stop and now with TrueHD ATMOS high bitrate with zero issues. And I use it almost every day. Media contents are in a DiskStation NAS accessed with SMB and other Windows 10 desktop PC.

And some days ago I updated NUC to Windows 11 and works all fine as before.

Ok then why are these settings still recommended? You may have noticed I commented some out.
As far as I know dxvahighqualityshaders is still viable (Lancosz Shaders). As is the buffer setting. Then please update the wiki also … I am a bit frustrated at how your answer sounds („dumb user is the problem“).

But I stated before (i think I dedicated a lot of explanation what I did and what the results are), I did a clean install with no changes at all (so also no Advanced settings) and still have these problems. So the settings seem not to be the source. I have no log from these clean installs. Since the problem is random at best I have to try to replicate it.

I exhibit the problem on 4 devices with 4 setups. All with nearly zero config (I tried fresh install on all of them). I updated drivers to the latest and still it randomly hits me. I wonder why this is.

I have since given up … I really am glad you don’t have these problems.
Also after the issue appears, Kodi can not be ended regularly. It has to be shot down in taskmanager for the task to disappear.

When choosing to exit Kodi from menu I waited 6hours and Kodi still hangs. So something is still open.
The reason for asking for a clean / portable installation is to discard thousands of variables and start from a known base. If you also use the same hardware that is known for sure that it works well and the configuration is the same, it will almost certainly have to work the same.

If it still does not work, it will be because something is not the same. Maybe the hardware is broken then (and that already happened with someone who had the same NUC8i3BEK and said that it could not playback HDR 60 fps correctly).

The RAMs memories were shown to be wrong and it only took a few messages to find out.

But you have to start at the beginning. And the beginning is to install the latest version (which is now 19.2, not 19.1) and a clean installation. If you are not willing to do this, I am sorry but I cannot help you.
(2021-10-22, 20:28)jogal Wrote: The reason for asking for a clean / portable installation is to discard thousands of variables and start from a known base. If you also use the same hardware that is known for sure that it works well and the configuration is the same, it will almost certainly have to work the same.

If it still does not work, it will be because something is not the same. Maybe the hardware is broken then (and that already happened with someone who had the same NUC8i3BEK and said that it could not playback HDR 60 fps correctly).

The RAMs memories were shown to be wrong and it only took a few messages to find out.

But you have to start at the beginning. And the beginning is to install the latest version (which is now 19.2, not 19.1) and a clean installation. If you are not willing to do this, I am sorry but I cannot help you.

Are you really reading what I wrote? I dedicated a lot of effort to rule everything out. Now all with 19.1 since 19.2 was not out when I got through the cycle.
I did clean installs. I did this on 4(!) different NUC (all broken?). With Kodis up to nightly builds.
I will try 19.2 next but it is a time consuming process and I am frustrated to bits.
The first shared log (which was a clean portable Kodi 19.1 with local files and no advancedsettings.xml) had the same error shown in the line I pointed out earlier. Something prevents the audio engine from flushing.
All 4 Nucs are connected to different TVs. The only constant is Kodi here.
I even made clean installs (windows installs) with nothing else but a fresh windows, latest drivers and Kodi on it.

So I will do this again for 19.2 but man this sucks, this takes so much which a have not a lot of. Please read what I already did before throwing „have you tried turning it off and on again“ at me. I feel a bit fooled.

Okay maybe I will crank it up to eleven. At work I have about 5 NUC8i5. I will try them next. This may take a while.

Last question. I noticed 2 minutes ago (clean install). „keep audio device alive“ (Audiogerät aktiv halten) is enabled by default. What are your settings on the System/Audio Tab? Since yours is working I would like to see them all of possible as a reference.
See from here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2970222

To here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2970635
(2021-10-22, 20:50)jogal Wrote: See from here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2970222

To here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2970635

Okay he has 1 NUC. I have 4 different NUC configurations. And all have the same problem.

I use the latest drivers Intel shows for NUC8i3. Are there newer versions compatible? With the 7th gen NUCs I had no luck using newer drivers.
Also do you use fullscreen window or real fullscreen mode ?
(2021-10-22, 20:48)SakuraKira Wrote: Last question. I noticed 2 minutes ago (clean install). „keep audio device alive“ (Audiogerät aktiv halten) is enabled by default. What are your settings on the System/Audio Tab? Since yours is working I would like to see them all of possible as a reference.

If is enabled by default is fine.
(2021-10-22, 21:14)SakuraKira Wrote: Also do you use fullscreen window or real fullscreen mode ?

Try first default  on clean install  Smile
(2021-10-22, 21:20)jogal Wrote:
(2021-10-22, 21:14)SakuraKira Wrote: Also do you use fullscreen window or real fullscreen mode ?

Try first default  on clean install  Smile

I am currently trying 19.2 fresh install. Local files.
But fullscreen window is worse in performance it seems. Anime with a lot of subtitles (all over the place) get really slow on windowed fullscreen while maintaining steady rates at true fullscreen so I did not use this up to now.

I changed only the sound device and the refresh rate change. Things look ok up to now but sometimes it takes 30-40 files until it shows.
As reference you can use settings listed here on "RECOMMENDED SETTINGS":

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349861

once you see that with the minimum changes it works fine

Anyway, a NUC7x I think is a bit fair today since it is not the same as a NUC8x. I can only guarantee that it works perfect on the 8.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19 - sporadically no Sound and Video freezes0