Playback of recorded TV jerky
I have an acer revo 3610 that I've just reinstalled windows on. I've put XBMC as the main player on the revo. I've also got a main computer with TV card and have recordings in both DVR-MS from media center and ts from mediaportal. Both of these play back fine under XBMC on the main computer, but playback is very jerky on the revo.

As it's a clean installation of windows it's probably a codec or mped decoder issue, but I don't want to install any more codec packs than absolutely necessary. Playback of full 1080p mkv files runs flawlessly, and the main reason I reinstalled windows was because XBMC wouldn't playback any files smoothly (I believe I'd tried too many different codec packs trying to get stuff to work).

Does anyone have any idea why playback of these files is a problem? I've tried searching, but couldn't find anything that helped.
codex70 Wrote:I have an acer revo 3610 that I've just reinstalled windows on. I've put XBMC as the main player on the revo. I've also got a main computer with TV card and have recordings in both DVR-MS from media center and ts from mediaportal. Both of these play back fine under XBMC on the main computer, but playback is very jerky on the revo.

As it's a clean installation of windows it's probably a codec or mped decoder issue, but I don't want to install any more codec packs than absolutely necessary. Playback of full 1080p mkv files runs flawlessly, and the main reason I reinstalled windows was because XBMC wouldn't playback any files smoothly (I believe I'd tried too many different codec packs trying to get stuff to work).

Does anyone have any idea why playback of these files is a problem? I've tried searching, but couldn't find anything that helped.

You don't need to install any codec packs for XBMC to work. It uses FFmpeg's built-in codecs. Make sure you have updated all the drivers, get the latest Nvidia drivers, and go to Settings > Video > Playback and make sure Allow hardware acceleration (dxva2) is enabled.
Thanks for the quick response. I downloaded the latest drivers (well latest as of Thursday) and have hardware acceleration enabled.

Interestingly the same dvr-ms file seemed to play back OK in windows media center on the revo, so the problem seems to be specific to XBMC. I'll try and spend a bit more time comparing to see how much difference there is.
codex70 Wrote:Thanks for the quick response. I downloaded the latest drivers (well latest as of Thursday) and have hardware acceleration enabled.

Interestingly the same dvr-ms file seemed to play back OK in windows media center on the revo, so the problem seems to be specific to XBMC. I'll try and spend a bit more time comparing to see how much difference there is.

As far as I know, only h.264 video files are hardware accelerated so XBMC won't use your GPU to play back your DVR-MS files.

Here's a thread regarding it from 2008: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35926

Not sure anything's change since then regarding playback. Your best solution might be to re-encode.
Cool, thanks for your help. Converting probably isn't worth the effort, they're watchable, if I'm that bothered I can always switch to watching in WMC.
Lightbulb 
codex70 Wrote:Interestingly the same dvr-ms file seemed to play back OK in windows media center on the revo, so the problem seems to be specific to XBMC. I'll try and spend a bit more time comparing to see how much difference there is.

I know I'm raising an old thread, but I noticed a similar issues of periodic juddering when playing back DVR-MS files in XBMC (but smooth in Windows Media Centre), under 11.0 Eden Beta 1.

Solved in my case by visiting in-playback Video Settings and swapping the 'De-interlace method' from 'Auto Select' to just 'De-interlace'. I set it to default to not have to do so on each video. Didn't notice any degradation in quality, but these files now play smoothly consistently.

My guess is the auto-detected setting was too much for the CPU to handle...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback of recorded TV jerky0