Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Those affected by the intel gfx tearing/vsync issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
gunja99 Wrote:I resolved by the issue by removing all traces of the 8.10 release, and reverting back to the Beta 2 version, worked fine. WOuld like to upgrade, but not until they're revolsed this. I am using XP SP2, on an Interl mobile think it's the x3100 GFX, and 8.10 caused the tearing Sad I hope this is resolved soon!

it's resolved, read the thread before you post

just download the latest build for the link in my sig. and remove the -fs parameter from the startup link.
moby-uk Wrote:I wasn't in any way suggesting you weren't; my background is distinctly non-Win32 so I was more checking my own understanding. I'd assumed the LockSetForeground was there to prevent another app raising a TOPMOST window above XBMC without user interaction, though that does seem unlikely.

I'm personally all for whatever makes the Intel-GPU experience better; I'm running XBMC on an EEE Box connected to my TV (which is why I'm interested in the externalplayer stuff as the EEE doesn't have the grunt for HD with XBMC but will play 720p with the CoreAVC codec). Is making the window NOTOPMOST when it loses focus doable?

I see you distinction between screen-sized and fullscreen, though I don't think I've seen any difference in behaviour, w.r.t. this issue, between the two.
The issue with making a window not topmost after focus leaves is that
A) Windows does not tell you when focus is switching to another application, unless you set a windows hook and track all window information looking ours. You can also poll to see if the foreground window is our window to the same effect BUT
B) After the focus leaves our window to another window it is too late to set notopmost because that doesn't change the Z-order. I suppose we could do some tricks to try to bring the other window in front of ours at that time though.

I'd much rather find another work-around for the intel vsync problem. This solution was chosen simply because it is how SDL treats its window, people said the SDL version worked, I ported it to XBMC code. XBMC has no desire to be a topmost window, it just wants the intel driver to vsync properly. I also don't have the hardware or know anyone who does, so anything I do is a total shot in the dark.
is it an idea to stick "the intel patch" in as an option in advancedsettings.xml ? so you have a "normal" working topmost focus alt-tab etc. and if you want to enable the intel patch you can via advancedsettings.xml

just a thought....
CapnBry mentions the problem being the window being TOPMOST but that Alt-Tab should be working between TOPMOST apps.

By choosing "Set on top" in Zoomplayer I suppose that TOPMOST is used, but still alt-tabbing wasn't working.

"Did not test "fullscreen" because, seriously, f*@k fullscreen." Maybe that's the problem, as I'm using fullscreen. Why don't you like it?

And good suggestion from Jester. Intel users would be able to choose between correct synch and alt-tabbing capabilities without impeding users with other hardware.
CapnBry Wrote:The issue with making a window not topmost after focus leaves is that
B) After the focus leaves our window to another window it is too late to set notopmost because that doesn't change the Z-order. I suppose we could do some tricks to try to bring the other window in front of ours at that time though.

I'd much rather find another work-around for the intel vsync problem. This solution was chosen simply because it is how SDL treats its window, people said the SDL version worked, I ported it to XBMC code. XBMC has no desire to be a topmost window, it just wants the intel driver to vsync properly. I also don't have the hardware or know anyone who does, so anything I do is a total shot in the dark.

Jester Wrote:is it an idea to stick "the intel patch" in as an option in advancedsettings.xml ? so you have a "normal" working topmost focus alt-tab etc. and if you want to enable the intel patch you can via advancedsettings.xml

Jester's suggestion seems like a reasonable compromise top me. How about if you turn on the intel/vsync-mode, the XBMC window is only TOPMOST whilst video is playing? The main complaint (apart from the externalplayer not-being visible one, which we hopefully have a workaround for) seems to be people wanting to switch to a browser; I guess they are less likely to want to do this whilst video is actually playing than at other times. Or would this cause an ugly redraw every time the window switched between TOPMOST/NOTOPMOST?
moby-uk Wrote:Jester's suggestion seems like a reasonable compromise top me. How about if you turn on the intel/vsync-mode, the XBMC window is only TOPMOST whilst video is playing? The main complaint (apart from the externalplayer not-being visible one, which we hopefully have a workaround for) seems to be people wanting to switch to a browser; I guess they are less likely to want to do this whilst video is actually playing than at other times. Or would this cause an ugly redraw every time the window switched between TOPMOST/NOTOPMOST?

Makes sense to me to only have the TOPMOST on while video is playing and the intel/vsync mode is switched on, gives you best of both worlds this way.
ashlar Wrote:"Did not test "fullscreen" because, seriously, f*@k fullscreen." Maybe that's the problem, as I'm using fullscreen. Why don't you like it?
Funny, launching without -fs sent me to fullscreen just the same. I have "1366x768 @ 48Hz (Fullscreen)" and it starts in fullscreen mode anyway. It's my desktop resolution and the only way I can have 1:1 pixel mapping, which is clearly desirable.
I changed the resolution to 1280x720 and I was able to alt-tab normally. But who wants to run at a smaller than desktop resolution?
ashlar Wrote:Funny, launching without -fs sent me to fullscreen just the same. I have "1366x768 @ 48Hz (Fullscreen)" and it starts in fullscreen mode anyway. It's my desktop resolution and the only way I can have 1:1 pixel mapping, which is clearly desirable.
I changed the resolution to 1280x720 and I was able to alt-tab normally. But who wants to run at a smaller than desktop resolution?
I think this is where the terminology always gets confusing, you're confusing the fullscreen setting and "takes up the whole screen". Fullscreen to XBMC Windows means "make my display resolution this". The -fs option is just an override to make any resolution that isn't "(fullscreen)" behave as if it is. I'm all for XBMC taking up the whole screen though.

"Fullscreen" the setting I don't like because it kajiggers with the display settings in an ambiguous way and causes a lot of confusion.
Hi Capn (Smile), what I meant is that even launching without -fs made the alt-tabbing impossible. Maybe you understood what I was saying maybe not (and sorry for my thickness... just in case Wink).
ashlar Wrote:Hi Capn (Smile), what I meant is that even launching without -fs made the alt-tabbing impossible. Maybe you understood what I was saying maybe not (and sorry for my thickness... just in case Wink).

I think that the XBMC window is TOPMOST (which is what stop's you alt-tabbing) whether it covers the display because you launched it with -fs OR you launched it without -fs and set the screen size to match the display size.
Yeah moby is right, regardless of fullscreen or "fullscreen" Eek if XBMC takes up the whole monitor's space, it flips on TOPMOST and LockForeground.

For the brave I may have a solution... shit I was going to link a build to test but it is from the HDFlagging branch and it will foobar your video database. Weeeeeeellll crap, let me vnc to my home PC and make a build off trunk for testing. Check back soon!
Here we go, built fresh from a Windows7 Beta box!

Does Alt-Tab work and no video tearing occur both before alt-tabbing and after alt-tabbing with this build?
CapnBry Wrote:Here we go, built fresh from a Windows7 Beta box!

Does Alt-Tab work and no video tearing occur both before alt-tabbing and after alt-tabbing with this build?

Just tested with an IGP945; alt-tab is fine, no tearing before alt-tab but the tearing is back after.
moby-uk Wrote:Just tested with an IGP945; alt-tab is fine, no tearing before alt-tab but the tearing is back after.
Intellllllllllllllllllll! Image

I swear I'm going to go to the Intel booth at GDC, ask to meet the head of the department that keeps churning out video cards, then kick him sqwa in the nuts.

I'm not really sure what the hell else to do. If you stop playing the video then restart it, does the tearing persist? What about if you go into settings, disable vsync then turn it back on? Maybe we also need to reinitialize frame sync when it comes back.
CapnBry Wrote:If you stop playing the video then restart it, does the tearing persist? What about if you go into settings, disable vsync then turn it back on? Maybe we also need to reinitialize frame sync when it comes back.

The tearing persists after restarting the video. Dis/enabling vsync doesn't help. I tried with Vsync always enabled and enabled during video playback; I assumed the latter would reinitialize frame sync each time playback starts.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9