Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Those affected by the intel gfx tearing/vsync issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sorry guys, i know this have been covered several times now.
I think i have read the thread 3 times now, and i cant figure out where i go wrong.

I use jesters latest build.
start xbmc with -p flag.

Set manual resolution, 1320x720 (60hz) or whatever. and set the vsync option to let driver chose.

I still get alot of stuttering / flickering still, anyone got any points for me.

Intel chipset with g45
jeey Wrote:Sorry guys, i know this have been covered several times now.
I think i have read the thread 3 times now, and i cant figure out where i go wrong.

I use jesters latest build.
start xbmc with -p flag.

Set manual resolution, 1320x720 (60hz) or whatever. and set the vsync option to let driver chose.

I still get alot of stuttering / flickering still, anyone got any points for me.

Intel chipset with g45

Because you need to start without -fs, not -p
HexusOdy Wrote:Because you need to start without -fs, not -p

Im not starting fullscreen, im starting windowed mode.
Default shortcut for that is with trigger -p

So, im NOT using -fs
im using -p
jeey Wrote:Set manual resolution, 1320x720 (60hz) or whatever. and set the vsync option to let driver chose.

jeey Wrote:Im not starting fullscreen, im starting windowed mode.
Default shortcut for that is with trigger -p

You're starting with the right options but you need to set the screen size to match your display, i.e. it should cover your screen even without the -fs option.

As for the vsync option: I have mine set to "only during video playback" or words to that effect.
moby-uk Wrote:You're starting with the right options but you need to set the screen size to match your display, i.e. it should cover your screen even without the -fs option.

As for the vsync option: I have mine set to "only during video playback" or words to that effect.

That is actually what i have done.
I´ve choosen the resolution so it fills all the screen without any menu bars from vista.

Will try to change the vsync value, and see if i notice any diffrence
I´ve been testing some more, and whatever i try to set i get a lot of tearing.

I got an "old" GeForce 8500Gt laying around, and with that everything is perfect.
To bad that the card is such a big heat source, or else i would use it.

I realy need some pointers here where i have gone wrong.
Im giving up here, i tought i read that the old beta 2 build did not contain the bug?

Can anyone confirm that, since im still seeing a lot of tearing in that build also.
jeey, after removing all traces of XBMC, preferences and settings from 8.10 to the previous build it worked fine. This is an XBMC problem, not an intel one as it did work fine. I've got a 965 chipset mobile board, and works fine in the beta 2. Shame can't upgrade to 8.10, but hopefully will be sorted soon.

You tried re-installing windows and going 8 beta2?
moby-uk: Can you try out a test app I made (150kb, EDIT: requiresVC++ 2008 runtime). It is a supersimple OpenGL app that just displays moving color bars at ~30fps.

Once it launches the following hotkeys do stuff:
ESC or Q: Quit
F: toggle window maximized (take up the whole screen)
R: Set window foreground
S: Show window
T: Hide the Show window
V: Toggle VSync

Basically it should come up windowed with vsync on and looking good. Hit F to make it fullscreen, vsync should still work. Hit V a couple times to toggle vsync and you should be able to easily distinguish the difference between vsynced and not. Now alt-tab away and see if you get tearing. Alt-tab back and see if there is tearing. If you have tearing, try the following options in order to see if any of them bring sync back:
V: once to turn it off, then again to turn it back on. I know you've tried this in XBMC already but let's just try it here too
F: Bring foreground. Just once is all that is needed to see if it works
S: Show. Again just once to see if it works
T: Toggle. The screen should flash momentarily.
CapnBry Wrote:moby-uk: Can you try out a test app I made (150kb, EDIT: requiresVC++ 2008 runtime). It is a supersimple OpenGL app that just displays moving color bars at ~30fps.

Once it launches the following hotkeys do stuff:
ESC or Q: Quit
F: toggle window maximized (take up the whole screen)
R: Set window foreground
S: Show window
T: Hide the Show window
V: Toggle VSync

Basically it should come up windowed with vsync on and looking good. Hit F to make it fullscreen, vsync should still work. Hit V a couple times to toggle vsync and you should be able to easily distinguish the difference between vsynced and not. Now alt-tab away and see if you get tearing. Alt-tab back and see if there is tearing. If you have tearing, try the following options in order to see if any of them bring sync back:
V: once to turn it off, then again to turn it back on. I know you've tried this in XBMC already but let's just try it here too
F: Bring foreground. Just once is all that is needed to see if it works
S: Show. Again just once to see if it works
T: Toggle. The screen should flash momentarily.

- Starts windowed but with tearing which continues across vsync toggles.
- The tearing stops when I switch to fullscreen (regardless of whether vsync is on or off when I press F; does it also turn vsync on here?)
- Toggling vsync during fullscreen behaves as you expect (tearing only when off)
- Alt-tab away during fullscreen and tearing starts
- Alt-tab back and tearing continues
- Toggle vsync a few times does nothing
- SetForeground does nothing
- Show does nothing
- Playing around with the above 3 (sync/foreground/show) in various combinations does nothing.
- Either a T (hide/show) or F-F (unmax/max) and the vsync is working again.

EDIT: One more thing to note: it occured to my to switch my Vaio into stamina mode and try it's intel IGP (normally it uses a discrete nVidia)
1) My EEE Box has a i945GME and runs XPSP3 with driver 6.14.10.4885 (not the latest from intel but the latest from asus; i'll try intel's latest [EDIT: no difference]) and has the vsync issue
2) My Vaio SZ4 has a i945GM (which is very similar to the GME but has a 128bit bus vs the GME's 64bit) and runs Vista SP1 with driver 7.14.10.1387 and no no vsync issue.
I've no idea whether is the OS+driver or slightly different hardware that makes the difference.
moby-uk Wrote:- The tearing stops when I switch to fullscreen (regardless of whether vsync is on or off when I press F; does it also turn vsync on here?)
Oh snap that is strange. No it doesn't toggle vsync when you go to fullscreen, it just changes the size of the window and resets the glViewport. Odd that the driver turns on vsync regardless of what it was beforehand. My all my systems here retain their VSync setting.

At least there's sort of a workaround for the Alt-Tabness if we hide/show the window but that doesn't seem like a solution since it affects even people without Intel cards. Let me think about it some more and maybe come up with something.

Thanks for your very thorough testing!
moby-uk Wrote:-
2) My Vaio SZ4 has a i945GM (which is very similar to the GME but has a 128bit bus vs the GME's 64bit) and runs Vista SP1 with driver 7.14.10.1387 and no no vsync issue.
I've no idea whether is the OS+driver or slightly different hardware that makes the difference.

It's probably the OS, alot of people have reported that Vista can solve the problem.

I believe the Intel problem is a driver problem. If I remember right it was shortcoming in the driver from what Cap said.
CapnBry Wrote:Oh snap that is strange. No it doesn't toggle vsync when you go to fullscreen, it just changes the size of the window and resets the glViewport. Odd that the driver turns on vsync regardless of what it was beforehand. My all my systems here retain their VSync setting.

At least there's sort of a workaround for the Alt-Tabness if we hide/show the window but that doesn't seem like a solution since it affects even people without Intel cards. Let me think about it some more and maybe come up with something.

Thanks for your very thorough testing!

Just to confirm the behaviour in XBMC; with a little tweak to your patch from http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5508 (a hide then show in CSurface::NotifyAppFocusChange, with the addition of a static flag so that we don't do it again when we get focus back from the show) I can now alt-tab away and vsync works again after alt-tabbing back. Admittedly there is a flash because of the hide/show but you can't have everything.

Seems to me there's two options:

1) Add the hide/show but enable it with an "intelhack" advancedsetting; this has the advantage of vsync working out-of-the-box for intel people who don't alt-tab, which may be the majority.

2) Put the whole TOPMOST+NotifyAppFocusChange stuff behind an "intelhack" advancedsetting; that would have the advantage of also solving the can't see my externalplayer gripes for the non-intel crowd and we can commit the hide-the-xbmc-window-during-externalplayer hack/patch for the intel crowd (though I know the externalplayer bits aren't really the main concern).
Or even better, detect intel and do the best we can.
HexusOdy Wrote:It's probably the OS, alot of people have reported that Vista can solve the problem.

I believe the Intel problem is a driver problem. If I remember right it was shortcoming in the driver from what Cap said.

I tried lastest Intel drivers (got a DG45FC motherboard) and it seems V-sync / playback issue is solved !

Finally running My 8.10 like a charm, with intel chipset =)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9