• 6(current)
I think the piracy policy needs updating.
fascinating discusion.

a few questions?

what is the problem we are discussing?
is it a real problem or just a problem for some?

if it is a real problem then what do we want?
meaning what do we want as the goal of our decisions and actions?
we need to know what kind of community we want in the end.
this will determine what actions are appropriate to the goal and those that are not.

if it is not a real problem or only a problem for a few then is any action necessary?
that is the best question so far Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-03-04, 17:17)Martijn Wrote: that is the best question so far Smile

Making a good problem definition is always the best start for solving a problem, but the best question is still no solution for a problem. I did learn to make use of 10 steps to solve a problem, making use of 1 step is just not enough for solving problems.
It works great "As Is".....Nod

Bad people will always find way to do bad thing....Sleepy

It remind me of the dog and alarm warning signs on the gate and window in front of the house of my previous neighbor. Their house gets burglarized, and my house and other houses without sign are un-touched....Wink

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-03-04, 17:11)mxlance Wrote: fascinating discusion.

a few questions?

what is the problem we are discussing?
is it a real problem or just a problem for some?

if it is a real problem then what do we want?
meaning what do we want as the goal of our decisions and actions?
we need to know what kind of community we want in the end.
this will determine what actions are appropriate to the goal and those that are not.

if it is not a real problem or only a problem for a few then is any action necessary?

Its only a problem for some.
The solution the OP was suggesting shouldnt be consideration (censorship is not to be taken lightly) for any problem especially if its not a xbmc problem. And that it was a consideration (in somes mind) then it may become a bigger problem and not the original problem because its not a xbmc problem in any way.

As a part of this community would like to see community that tries to educate users no crack the whip on them especially if you not a representative of xbmc foundation, which this is what the forums are for support/education on things xbmc, if its not xbmc then it may or may not belong at all.

as I said in post 16, there is no problem and if people that see a problem let the people that should deal with it (team xbmc), do so (and they do it well, I suppose it could always be better), then there is no problem (there was none) as long as we fostering a educative community.
trying to solve a problem that does not exist is a pointless exercise.

if the problem is real i would suggest the most important question is, what is the goal.
that goal will determine the outcome and will define the steps needed to achieving it.

so i ask is this a real problem or not?

i for one, after following this thread tend to see this as an issue to be mindful of, but not a problem that needs solving.

i believe the greatest function of this forum is providing the opportunity for those who know, to give help and guidance to those who temporarily do not.
Its not a problem at all for me, though the proposed solution would be more of an issue then the non issue it intends to resolve? Big Grin Because its not a xbmc issue.
Hence why I stated that it's an "increasing-problem". I believe in being proactive and straight to the point. Since Team XBMC has already stated an opinion on the matter, I'm not sure why this thread is still open. I made a suggestion, it was discussed, rejected with reason and the matter is resolved.

Edit: I should add that, although I don't post very often, I do look at this forum at least three - or four - times per day. I've personally noticed multiple threads regarding piracy which is why I thought it a good idea to create this thread.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-03-04, 18:41)uNiversal Wrote: Its not a problem at all for me, though the proposed solution would be more of an issue then the non issue it intends to resolve? Big Grin Because its not a xbmc issue.

Bingo. That's the only reason I involved myself in this discussion.

(2014-03-04, 21:05)Piers Wrote: Hence why I stated that it's an "increasing-problem". I believe in being proactive and straight to the point. Since Team XBMC has already stated an opinion on the matter, I'm not sure why this thread is still open. I made a suggestion, it was discussed, rejected with reason and the matter is resolved.

Edit: I should add that, although I don't post very often, I do look at this forum at least three - or four - times per day. I've personally noticed multiple threads regarding piracy which is why I thought it a good idea to create this thread.

I think you're escalating this into a bigger problem than it really is. The easiest solution is to ignore it - any of these proposed changes will have a negative impact.
(2014-03-04, 22:58)nooryani84 Wrote:
(2014-03-04, 21:05)Piers Wrote: Hence why I stated that it's an "increasing-problem". I believe in being proactive and straight to the point. Since Team XBMC has already stated an opinion on the matter, I'm not sure why this thread is still open. I made a suggestion, it was discussed, rejected with reason and the matter is resolved.

I think you're escalating this into a bigger problem than it really is. The easiest solution is to ignore it - any of these proposed changes will have a negative impact.

=

Piers Wrote:...Since Team XBMC has already stated an opinion on the matter, I'm not sure why this thread is still open.

My bad, didn't read the last part. Sorry about that Piers Sad
Piers.

I will extend you the courtesy so far you haven't shown back to the oddballs, though I will hold back on the insults and demeaning responses, Ill be proactive and straight to the point.

The thread can be closed that is indeed fine by me.

But you cannot start a debate that proposes censorship (that's word filters are) and seemingly take it so lightly as a possible solution to anything. Even if you were later told straight off that this is out of the question.
Clearly you wanted to say whatever and you have said it. Clearly you dont want to take part in the discussion/debate because well the solution is not to make a big deal out of it.

I went to extremes once or twice to see if the ramifications of what was being suggests here was more or less ridiculous or if people realized it, and if the did they so voiced said opinions.

I consider you a valid member of the community,sooner when come across each other in threads, while attempting to provide support here for various people.

My suggestion a serious suggestion is that you please consider what has been said here and try to educate other users you come across that blatantly in that situation knowingly or maybe just maybe they are in it unknowingly.. Educate them to who and why what they are doing is incorrect ad show them better way, or consider ignoring it, because team xbmc does indeed take these thing seriously enough and Im sure they rather us help than causing some bigger issue by not knowing how to help.

(2014-03-03, 02:08)thrak76 Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 23:32)uNiversal Wrote:
(2014-03-02, 21:58)Piers Wrote: The idea is to make a list.

There were lots of lists not long ago.... In Countries not far away in a time closer than memory does not forget.

Godwin's Law, already? Undecided

That was a example of something extreme to see if it provoke some though on how bad censorship was,

Had nothing to do with it was implied but everything to do with Big china firewalls, and many others who still suffer lack of freedom of speech.
and on a non glihl note, Hungary was under Communist regime until 1989 they also made lists, and for a few more years life wasnt as simple as it is here in UK.
So none of that was for the way generations before but to a recent valid one and still currently existing, this is wy any lsist scare me seriously to death.

Please moderators close this thread.

And Piers, be well see you around and dont sweat it, it was a worthwhile having debate.
To the above:

1) I agree, this discussion has reached an end and all questions have been answered.

2) I stand by my viewpoint - would you expect anything less of an Austrian?

3) I'm awaiting to have all of my teeth pulled and major jaw surgery, so my mood is.. quite frankly filthy due to the pain.

I'm actually still pushing for a dismissible notice (one-time per account) with the forum rules link + common examples. We'll never catch everyone, but right now the rules are still too "hidden". The tapatalk issue was also something I don't think we've considered before. I feel this thread has been useful.
I don't know if its possible but how about a combination of suggestions in this thread - if your post contains certain keywords a popup is displayed explaining xbmc's stance on piracy and repercussions for discussing said items. Maybe even a captcha or similar where the user has to answer with text that is in the policy, so the user has to read it.

I think its strikes a nice balance between censorship and education.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I think the piracy policy needs updating.0