• 2(current)
Arctic MC101 Barebone (A10)- very powerful low power HTPC....
Thanks for the pics! Gotta a few questions for you when you have some time.

1. The remote/ir that's included. Is it a true ehome/rc6 device? Seems a lot of times these manufacturers don't stick with that standard.

2. How loud can that blower fan get? Seems a few reviewers mentioned it can get pretty loud so this might not be appropriate for the bedroom
(2012-11-14, 12:20)woomba Wrote: Here is a first photo of it next to a G500. It is much smaller than what I thought.
The case look very nice, and it is very tiny.....it's time to try some blu-ray 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio using XBMC on it......

If by chance you have 3d HDTV, I'm interesting in how it handle 3d the most. Thank you very much sharing it with us.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
This thing looks AWESOME!

Being the cheapskate I am, I'm wondering if it's less powerful brother would perform all the same HTPC duties...?

It's $399: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/office-...tml?c=2296

Thoughts?
(2012-11-14, 16:34)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-14, 12:20)woomba Wrote: Here is a first photo of it next to a G500. It is much smaller than what I thought.
The case look very nice, and it is very tiny.....it's time to try some blu-ray 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio using XBMC on it......

If by chance you have 3d HDTV, I'm interesting in how it handle 3d the most. Thank you very much sharing it with us.....

Um... I second that!!!'

(2012-11-14, 16:44)xbmcHerb Wrote: This thing looks AWESOME!

Being the cheapskate I am, I'm wondering if it's less powerful brother would perform all the same HTPC duties...?

It's $399: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/office-...tml?c=2296

Thoughts?
For blu-ray playback and general XBMC purposes, I doubt that you can find any different between them......

(2012-11-14, 16:21)Gustovier Wrote: Thanks for the pics! Gotta a few questions for you when you have some time.

1. The remote/ir that's included. Is it a true ehome/rc6 device? Seems a lot of times these manufacturers don't stick with that standard.

2. How loud can that blower fan get? Seems a few reviewers mentioned it can get pretty loud so this might not be appropriate for the bedroom

I haven't had time to test the remote or BluRay playback but will do that in the next days and let you know.

Regarding the blower fan, I was pleasantly surprised when I turned it on and didn't hear ANYTHING. Even when the fan was going, I had to put my ears right next to it to be able to hear something.
But again, I haven't really done any stress tests. I can confirm what all the reviews said, the case can get pretty hot. I couldn't really keep my hands on the case for more than a couple of seconds.

Windows 8 start up in just a few seconds. So far I'm more than happy with it. I will give you more details on the weekend when I have more time.

(2012-11-14, 16:34)bluray Wrote: The case look very nice, and it is very tiny.....it's time to try some blu-ray 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio using XBMC on it......

Sorry, don't have 3D HDTV.

Is it just me that thinks it looks like a huge fag packet?
(2012-11-15, 04:21)Dave_qp Wrote: Is it just me that thinks it looks like a huge fag packet?

American translation: pack of cigarettes Smile
(2012-11-15, 04:21)Dave_qp Wrote: Is it just me that thinks it looks like a huge fag packet?
I think that it is just you, because I see a beautiful brushed aluminum case.....and fag packet don't have holes on the side/rear panels and power LED on the top...Wink

(2012-11-15, 04:29)Dougie Fresh Wrote:

Lol, Thanks for that cause I didn't know what that was. Hah
(2012-11-15, 04:29)Dougie Fresh Wrote:

This must be the new electronic ones.... Rofl
(2012-11-16, 08:33)Gustovier Wrote: Lol, Thanks for that cause I didn't know what that was. Hah

My friend loves to tell the story of when her brother came to visit from Ireland for the first time and how he couldn't understand the strange looks and how rude people were at the airport when he was simply trying to bum a fag Smile. Oops.

Here is a quick update. Unfortunatelly I didn't have that much time on the weekend.

As you can guess the CPU is pretty powerful. That means 1080p video playback is not a problem at all. Tested it with a 10GB video file and it worked like a treat.

The case gets very hot though. The heat sink of the CPU is attached straight to the aluminium case. The max temperature of the CPU I've seen so far was around 70C. Even when it's so warm, I can hardly hear the blower fan.

I haven't been able to set up the built-in TV tuner for whatever reason. The windows device manager lists an unknown device which I'm sure is the TV tuner. But when I'm trying to install the drivers I get a message like 'Could not install drivers because the TV Tuner was not found'. Tried different drivers without success. I'm currently waiting for a reply from their support.

So far I'm very happy with it and it's exactly what I wanted - something tiny,quiet and powerful.
(2012-11-19, 03:38)woomba Wrote: The case gets very hot though. The heat sink of the CPU is attached straight to the aluminium case. The max temperature of the CPU I've seen so far was around 70C. Even when it's so warm, I can hardly hear the blower fan.
According to their "Temp Profile", it is suppose to run hot and the heat suppose to transfer to aluminum metal upper case which acts as heatsink. The A10-4600M is designed to be able to handle 100°C max........

(2012-11-19, 03:38)woomba Wrote: I haven't been able to set up the built-in TV tuner for whatever reason. The windows device manager lists an unknown device which I'm sure is the TV tuner. But when I'm trying to install the drivers I get a message like 'Could not install drivers because the TV Tuner was not found'. Tried different drivers without success. I'm currently waiting for a reply from their support.
Have you try the driver from here- Download hardware drivers for your MC101?

(2012-11-19, 05:18)bluray Wrote: According to their "Temp Profile", it is suppose to run hot and the heat suppose to transfer to aluminum metal upper case which acts as heatsink. The A10-4600M is designed to be able to handle 100°C max........

That's what I read too so I'm too worried. You just shouldn't put your hands or others things on it...

(2012-11-19, 05:18)bluray Wrote: Have you try the driver from here- Download hardware drivers for your MC101?

I have, yes. Those didn't work. Even tried both, DVB-T and ATSC, on Windows 7 and 8.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arctic MC101 Barebone (A10)- very powerful low power HTPC....0