• 12(current)
Pivos Xios DS
Thanks for the info guys!!

(2013-01-10, 20:51)DUDENOOB Wrote: any help would greatly be appreciated as my g/f is starting to get on my case about having tv to watch instead...

Here is my suggestion:

- Android is a great operating system. I have it on my phone, as it allows me to do nearly all I can on a PC. But, with that expanded flexibility comes complexity.

Now, for XBMC, I go all the way back to the XBOX days. While the XBOX Gen1 was a nice gaming platform, the only real thing that I used it for was XBMC.

Now, I told you all that, to say this: Dump android, download a Linux nightly from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qfsqqow67m8hawp/f4vOpoVCKO , and re-flash that bad boy.

Sure, you loose android "play" and the apps there... but did you buy that box for XBMC, or to try to make it an underpowered PC... or a phone without calling?

Linux makes it easy, XBMC in Linux makes it great.

Re-flash it, start over, and some of your preferred applications within XBMC will likely work great.

Finally, ixnay on the iratedpay ediamay... Angel

XBMC is a platform for playing your legitimately owned media. The folks that moderate the boards do not take well to discussing third party apps that are copyright questionable.

So, reload with linux, make sure that it work well using this forum or http://www.pivosforums.com/viewforum.php?f=25 ... and go to the forums that then support those third party apps... there, they will provide assistance.

but not here.

Cool

Most cable modems I've seen will require a reboot if you directly connect a different device to it, like a different computer, different router, or a Pivos box.
(2013-01-10, 02:49)zebraitis Wrote: TIP: Never post a link here until AFTER you make your purchase!!! Rofl

back in stock at Amazon. already ordered 2 befoer posting the link Wink
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088IG...UTF8&psc=1
(2013-01-06, 17:21)zebraitis Wrote: IMPORTANT TIP: when you purchase, plan on picking up a mSD card, as your flashing of firmware, and storage of thumbs will benefit from another 8 or 16 GB of space.

does anyone know what type of micro SD card i should be using? Is class 4 sufficient or i should go with class 6 or higher?
(2013-01-12, 00:13)sevusal Wrote:
(2013-01-06, 17:21)zebraitis Wrote: IMPORTANT TIP: when you purchase, plan on picking up a mSD card, as your flashing of firmware, and storage of thumbs will benefit from another 8 or 16 GB of space.

does anyone know what type of micro SD card i should be using? Is class 4 sufficient or i should go with class 6 or higher?

I'm using a cheap class 4, and have great results.

I use it strictly to load my update.img file (as needed to flash new images), store 7 gig of thumbnails, load add-on zips, and make changes to advancedsettings.xml

The one that I have purchased 3 of is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820313187

So, I have found cheap to work well.
(2013-01-12, 00:13)sevusal Wrote:

I was using a SanDisk 8 gb class 4 card. Thought I would try a Lexar 8 gb class 10 to see the difference. None that I can tell. I changed the location of userdata to sd card on both
Thank you. bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-microSDHC...ro+sd+card
Is there a way of exploring the xbmc folder within the pivos, ie like on a pc, where you can go "xbmc/user/etc etc, and change advance settings

I tryed using putty got it connected and logged in, but i was stuck after that.
Hi there.. I have been an XBMC fan since it was ONLY on the XBOX.. I still use the XBOX version to this day, because I love the look and feel and ease of use of the interface. However my HD collection is growing rapidly and the old units aren't cutting it. I read this whole thread, but I still have some concerns..

Last year I (incredibly stupidly) jumped on a sale and bought two WDTV Live Plus units, thinking there would be some good 3rd party support, maybe eventually an XBMC build for them considering that they were a relatively popular unit.. Boy I really wish I hadn't done that. After f$#king with WDLX-TV firmware (the ONLY 3rd party project) for the past year with absolutely nothing to show for it (and now the project has pretty much been abandoned since WD refuses to update the kernel) I've absolutely had it and I need to move on to something better that definitely supports XBMC and won't leave me with useless hardware in the near future..

I was considering going with Apple TV 2 (despite my hatred of all things Apple), but then I saw the ludicrous premiums they are pulling on ebay.. So that's out. Then I saw the Xios.. After some research, it looks like exactly what I need... However I came across some video of the Android version, and the author said it was a bit sluggish, and it takes forever to boot into Android. Does the Linux version suffer from such issues? I would want it to boot directly into XBMC. Also, would I be able to use Netflix/Hulu/etc with the Linux version?

Edit: Oh yeah, how is DVD ISO support? I have a very large library of ISOs that I really do not care to have to convert to single stream. I know that's a huge snaggle point on the RasPi..

Thanks!
(2013-01-12, 09:39)okey Wrote: Is there a way of exploring the xbmc folder within the pivos, ie like on a pc, where you can go "xbmc/user/etc etc, and change advance settings

I tryed using putty got it connected and logged in, but i was stuck after that.

Yes you can "explore" the .xbmc folder on the pivos. I went to file manager and add sources and chose root. But first you must select show hidden files and folders under settings on xbmc. To change any of the settings with advanced settings.xml, I think you would have to use putty though to stop xbmc first, although I'm not really sure
So I got my Xios and am loving it for the simplicity of XBMC, but I'm still struggling to get ESPN working through the addon. I have messed with that addon for a long time in Windows and had no luck, so I don't expect much success on my Linux-fueled Pivos. Which brings me to this question: Could I install Linux in some form and use Advanced Launcher to run an internet browser? Preferably one of the more common browsers like Firefox or Chrome.

Do any of you know?
Main HTPC: i5-2500k Sandybridge 3.3Ghz - ASRock Z68 - Radeon HD6950 2GB - 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws - 64GB Crucial M4 SSD - 500GB HDD storage
Master Bedroom: G530 - ASRock H67M - 4GB Kingston HyperX - 160GB Seagate 2.5"
Living Room: Xbox 360 Media Center Extender
Guys is there a way to watch netflix on pivos if I install Linux on it instead of andoid without the netflix xbmc pluggin? ( through advanced launcher or something?)
(2013-01-13, 04:21)ozkhan1 Wrote: Guys is there a way to watch netflix on pivos if I install Linux on it instead of andoid without the netflix xbmc pluggin? ( through advanced launcher or something?)

no. netflix does not exist under linux except under wine/x86.
(2013-01-13, 03:55)mprez333 Wrote: Could I install Linux in some form and use Advanced Launcher to run an internet browser? Preferably one of the more common browsers like Firefox or Chrome.

Do any of you know?

I have the same question. Also, can I use USB mouse for Linux xbmc image?
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pivos Xios DS2