• 8(current)
WMC as the backend - released
sorry, can't help you there! no idea Tongue

lovely program, btw

Mine show up with the correct subchannels
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2013-08-19, 18:13)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-08-19, 16:38)cdan_smith Wrote: Hey Krusty - Have been watching this development for a while with baited breath ... glad to see it progress to release!

My setup is WMC on Win7 server, and OpenElec client(s). Everything installed great - on the client I had to install from a zip file instead of copying to the addin directory - something about that directory not being visible in openelec. Regardless, once the PVR addin was enabled and configured with the IP of the WMC server, it started grabbing EPG data, showing the upcoming recordings on the LiveTV screen in XBMC, etc.

Issue seems to be in seeing the recordings listing on the client. I followed the install directions about permissions on the "Recorded TV" directory on the server, but nothing is showing up in the list except the double dots (previous directory). When I click on the "validate" button in the server app, it pops up an "OK" dialog.

Any ideas on why this might be? Any details you can give about setting up the permissions for the recorded TV directory? Wondering if it's something about OpenELEC being a unix client ...

When you view the recorded tv path in the server software it should automatically prepend 'smb:', check to make sure it is there, its its not, add it yourself.

The other way you could test to make sure this network share is visible from your unix box is to see if xbmc can find this recording tv folder, just as an experiment. In order words, try to add the share as a video folder to xbmc and see if it can find the files in it. If it does make sure the path is entered the same way in the server software.

Please let me know what happens.

Sorry for the delay. Still no luck. Diagnostics:
- I can browse directly to the share on the XBMC (Openelec) box: smb:\\192.168.1.7\Recorded TV\
- I can substitute the name of the server (Dellhome1) for the IP address and it makes no difference
- I can add that share to my video library on the client and can play WMC recordings on XBMC
- The Network Path on the server piece is identical smb:\\192.168.1.7\Recorded TV\
- When I click on "verify" on the files tab on the server it shows "Success"
- When the client connects to the server, it doesn't seem to download any recorded show entries - that item is '0' on the status tab, others items seem correct (700+ channels, etc)
- I looked in the log file, and see this error (small part clipped): GetRecordings error: Convert2ClientPath> path not resolved

Again it just seems odd that I can browse to the recordings directory on the client with no issue, but still no recording entries are sent over when the client connects to the server.

What other info can I provide? Full log file? - let me know how to upload if so ...
(2013-08-20, 02:14)cdan_smith Wrote: Sorry for the delay. Still no luck. Diagnostics:
- I can browse directly to the share on the XBMC (Openelec) box: smb:\\192.168.1.7\Recorded TV\
- I can substitute the name of the server (Dellhome1) for the IP address and it makes no difference
- I can add that share to my video library on the client and can play WMC recordings on XBMC
- The Network Path on the server piece is identical smb:\\192.168.1.7\Recorded TV\
- When the client connects to the server, it doesn't seem to download any recorded show entries - that item is '0' on the status tab, others items seem correct (700+ channels, etc)
- I looked in the log file, and see this error (small part clipped): GetRecordings error: Convert2ClientPath> path not resolved

Again it just seems odd that I can browse to the recordings directory on the client with no issue, but still no recording entries are sent over when the client connects to the server.

What other info can I provide? Full log file? - let me know how to upload if so ...

Thanks for the testing and info. I think you have definitely found a bug in my code. Let me study it and I'll get back to you.

(2013-08-19, 22:05)soulshadow Wrote: Hi thank you again for your help, I that new update has worked, I have managed to get Xbmc to connect to serverWMC and managed to get channels to work. Though like you said I have got channel names and numbers too. i.e BBC1 1 ITV1 3

If this makes sense

Also how do I attach files as the log file / txt is long

Regards

Ian

So I looked at the log file you sent and it says you have six channels with no tuning space. Can tell me if there is something special about these channels (you might need to look in wmc to find out what they are):

Sky Movies
Entertainment
Lifestyle
News

Thanks.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2013-08-20, 02:14)cdan_smith Wrote: Sorry for the delay. Still no luck. Diagnostics:

Thanks for the testing and info. I think you have definitely found a bug in my code. Let me study it and I'll get back to you.

OK - Looking to help however I can. Probably a long shot, but could it be something to do with how the recording titles are stored on the client? Since I'm using OpenElec, wondering if there's a difference with permissions, directories, etc on the client ... like a said, probably a long shot.

Let me know what other insight or info I can provide ...
(2013-08-20, 03:47)cdan_smith Wrote:

OK - Looking to help however I can. Probably a long shot, but could it be something to do with how the recording titles are stored on the client? Since I'm using OpenElec, wondering if there's a difference with permissions, directories, etc on the client ... like a said, probably a long shot.

Wait, you mean how the recordings are stored on the server right?
Hi Krustyreturns.....I've been following the original thread for quite some time and thought it would never get released...the wait was worthwhile....terrific job.

What would be fantastic is a time reduction from when a channel is selected to when it starts to display (currently about 12 seconds), using NextPVR/XBMC (same backend server and client) takes about 4-5 seconds....I'm sure you've got a development path and I'm no expert however that's my number one 'want' :-)

What I like, that no other solution is offering as yet (except one of the LINUX backend solutions), is the ability to start watching a program that is recording, jump adverts and when one catches up to Live TV continues to stream rather than just stop.....really good for the WAF.

I guess the reason the aforementioned is possible is also the reason that there is a 12 second delay before a selected channel starts to stream? At the moment you are converting, on the fly, a WTV to TS file and the XBMC client add-on plays the TS file?

Again, great job...
Working great, been running it for a couple days, the channel lost would be awesome if they could line up, but I'm just happy right now that it works!!

I know a couple of days ago someone was talking about raspberry pi.

Has anyone been trying to get Raspberry Pi working?
(2013-08-20, 03:57)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 03:47)cdan_smith Wrote:

Wait, you mean how the recordings are stored on the server right?

Well, I assumed the file names are stored on the client in some sort of DB, probably determined by the PVR pieces of XBMC. The long shot was if the recording names are just written out to a directory on the client, and perhaps that was an issue with permissions on the client. But I'm likely off base. Again, server in this case is Win7, client in Openelec.

Let me know what else I can provide ...
(2013-08-20, 04:56)smacrae Wrote: Hi Krustyreturns.....I've been following the original thread for quite some time and thought it would never get released...the wait was worthwhile....terrific job.

What would be fantastic is a time reduction from when a channel is selected to when it starts to display (currently about 12 seconds), using NextPVR/XBMC (same backend server and client) takes about 4-5 seconds....I'm sure you've got a development path and I'm no expert however that's my number one 'want' :-)

What I like, that no other solution is offering as yet (except one of the LINUX backend solutions), is the ability to start watching a program that is recording, jump adverts and when one catches up to Live TV continues to stream rather than just stop.....really good for the WAF.

I guess the reason the aforementioned is possible is also the reason that there is a 12 second delay before a selected channel starts to stream? At the moment you are converting, on the fly, a WTV to TS file and the XBMC client add-on plays the TS file?

Again, great job...

Thanks. Always jazzed to hear something positive as I am slogging through all the problems.

The 12 sec delay is a combination of things mostly having to do with the strangeness of wtv files (and some having to do with how xmbc works). I am hoping to be able to reduce this once I get some of the more glaring bugs people are reporting off the table. The skipping without stopping should still be there (if I understand what you mean...).

Another side advantage to the way I am doing live tv - that I haven't implemented yet - would be the ability for the user to hit record as you watch a channel and have the episode recorded from the time you started watching, not just from the time record was pressed. I'm interested if people would think this is useful.

thanks again
(2013-08-20, 05:23)drewscm Wrote: Working great, been running it for a couple days, the channel lost would be awesome if they could line up, but I'm just happy right now that it works!!

I know a couple of days ago someone was talking about raspberry pi.

Has anyone been trying to get Raspberry Pi working?

Thanks, great to hear.

Can you explain: 'the channel lost would be awesome if they could line up'?

I would love for somebody to compile the client code for ras-pi too - in fact I was probably the 'someone' you were referring to. Unless somebody donates a pi system to me Smile, I don't have the ability to compile or test it .

But again the git is on my website, and I am more than happy to help any brave soul willing to try to get up to speed. Tell your developer friends.
(2013-08-20, 14:03)cdan_smith Wrote: Well, I assumed the file names are stored on the client in some sort of DB, probably determined by the PVR pieces of XBMC. The long shot was if the recording names are just written out to a directory on the client, and perhaps that was an issue with permissions on the client. But I'm likely off base. Again, server in this case is Win7, client in Openelec.

I can't figure it out from the log. So as this stuff usually goes for me, I have improved the logging to help me sort out your issue. Can you please run the newest server version (1047) reproduce the problem and send me the resulting server log? I only need the section centered around "error path not resolved" if you don't want to send the whole thing.
(2013-08-20, 18:14)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 14:03)cdan_smith Wrote: Well, I assumed the file names are stored on the client in some sort of DB, probably determined by the PVR pieces of XBMC. The long shot was if the recording names are just written out to a directory on the client, and perhaps that was an issue with permissions on the client. But I'm likely off base. Again, server in this case is Win7, client in Openelec.

I can't figure it out from the log. So as this stuff usually goes for me, I have improved the logging to help me sort out your issue. Can you please run the newest server version (1047) reproduce the problem and send me the resulting server log? I only need the section centered around "error path not resolved" if you don't want to send the whole thing.

OK - will get to it when back home this evening (ET) Thanks KR!
(2013-08-20, 18:18)cdan_smith Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 18:14)krustyreturns Wrote:

OK I think we have the culprit. Here's the snip from the log:

>Finished request GetTimers in 4.60s
>Received client request: 192.168.1.24|GetRecordings
>Convert2ClientPath> error path not resolved:
>Convert2ClientPath> inPath: C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\How I Met Your Mother_WGNAMER_2012_06_10_21_00_07.wtv
>Convert2ClientPath> local recording path: G:\Recorded TV\
>Convert2ClientPath> network recording path: smb:\\192.168.1.7\Recorded TV\
>GetRecordings error: Convert2ClientPath> path not resolved
>Finished request GetRecordings in 1.13s

Seems that when I first got WMC installed and running on this box, I had it configured to save to the local C: drive. I then installed a separate drive to store the recordings (GSmile, but there must have been some leftover recordings on the C: drive still in the WMC library (about 6 of them). I've gon into WMC, deleted the offending recordings, and now all is well! - recordings are being passed to the client

This is an edge case I'm sure, but maybe you can ignore recordings that aren't in the local recording path, or somehow alert the user if it finds one?
(2013-08-20, 21:05)cdan_smith Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 18:18)cdan_smith Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 18:14)krustyreturns Wrote: I can't figure it out from the log. So as this stuff usually goes for me, I have improved the logging to help me sort out your issue. Can you please run the newest server version (1047) reproduce the problem and send me the resulting server log? I only need the section centered around "error path not resolved" if you don't want to send the whole thing.

OK I think we have the culprit. Here's the snip from the log:

>Finished request GetTimers in 4.60s
>Received client request: 192.168.1.24|GetRecordings
>Convert2ClientPath> error path not resolved:
>Convert2ClientPath> inPath: C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\How I Met Your Mother_WGNAMER_2012_06_10_21_00_07.wtv
>Convert2ClientPath> local recording path: G:\Recorded TV\
>Convert2ClientPath> network recording path: smb:\\192.168.1.7\Recorded TV\
>GetRecordings error: Convert2ClientPath> path not resolved
>Finished request GetRecordings in 1.13s

Seems that when I first got WMC installed and running on this box, I had it configured to save to the local C: drive. I then installed a separate drive to store the recordings (GSmile, but there must have been some leftover recordings on the C: drive still in the WMC library (about 6 of them). I've gon into WMC, deleted the offending recordings, and now all is well! - recordings are being passed to the client

This is an edge case I'm sure, but maybe you can ignore recordings that aren't in the local recording path, or somehow alert the user if it finds one?

Nice job. Yes, it looks like I have a bug for when recordings are distributed over a couple of directories instead of just one. Thanks for finding this!
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WMC as the backend - released9