• 53(current)
WIP Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc
Smile 
(2014-01-08, 17:34)da-anda Wrote: RockerC, we need shaders for DirectX, not sure if opengl1971 is good in DirectX (at least not according to his nickname Wink ). But sure, OpenGL shaders (if not yet used) won't harm (we're currently using some "stipple" thingy AFAIK for line-interleaved).

Sorry folks i was in a business trip so i was away from tracking this forum for a long time.
da anda , as i said i wrote a commercial app that has a full 3d support based on direct x shaders 2 years ago , as a big fan and heavy user of XBMC for 8 years i thought it is about time (Well too late actually Smile )
To give something in return
So , my shaders shown here are all written using DirectX shader model 2.0 but for interleaved shader to run correctly
You need to run it on a DirectX shader model 3.0 class card wich will have the necessary vertex shader precision for the interleaved line coordinats to be precisely located on their corresponding TV screen lines.

I have worked with DirectX pixel and vertex shaders programs for 11 years , so if any one need a help in using these shaders please feel free to ask
I am still on my business trip but i will respond as soon as i can , this is the least that i can share with you guys , i hope it will contribute into something.
(2014-01-08, 22:24)da-anda Wrote: I'm not aware that we switch into a FullSBS resolution, but I could be wrong, not having any FullSBS/OU material nor HW that would handle it (damn old AMD GPU and borked drivers). But you could be right, in this case GUI should be rendered in full 1080p and no quality loss (except for things the TV is doing, especially on passive displays) should be visible.

I can confirm that this works. I have a setup using an Nvidia card and a Matrox Dualhead to make a 3840x1080 desktop and it displays the left and right side perfectly once you have run it through the display calibration function. I have not tried this with an AMD card with eyefinity, but I hope to test this soon as well.

The only problem I run into when I rip my original legal 3D blurays to FullSBS with DVDFab, is that they come with 3840x1080 image based double subtitles that have their own depth information included (I assume), so when XBMC doubles them again I end up with quadruple subtitles.
opengl1971, great. Would be awesome if you could have a look at the XBMC codebase and find a way to integrate shader support (if it's missing, I know nothing about that part of the code). Unfortunately I'm of not much help with this (C++ noob and only poked around in codebase so far, but know some bits), but if you're interested to do it, feel free to ping me once you're back (or have time) and I try to get you in touch with devs that can assist. Also, feel free to join #xbmc-dev channel on Freenode (IRC) and ask technical questions there, no guarantee though that our render engine devs are around (they are rarely on IRC and rare in general). If others read this, please use #xbmc for all other questions (not development related, so also technical ones).
(2014-01-08, 19:46)da-anda Wrote: @mtjerneld
well, GUI is rendered in half resolution (HalfSBS / HalfOU) and stretched again by TV. Besides that no other conversion taking place, but that should/will lower GUI quality for both, active and passive 3D displays. But that's how HSBS/HOU work and we don't support FullSBS/FullOU yet.

GUI looks fine, it's the video that gets reduced in quality. I also see the difference before switching the TV to 3D mode, so it's not because of some conversion on the TV end. I would provide screenshots of the difference, but xbmc hangs when I try to take a screenshot with 3D enabled. sigh.

When I watch a Half OU video I have the following experience:

With xbmc's 3D mode disabled:
- Video looks fine
- Menues and subtitles are not 3D-aware

With xbmc's 3D mode enabled
- Video is reduced in quality
- Menues and subtitles are rendered for both "eyes" and looks great.

This is really weird, especially since you say that no video conversion is taking place, but I'm totally confident that the video quality is significally different. I'll try to find a way to show it.

I'm on a Nvidia ION 330 chipset (Asrock).

//M
Updated to an alpha version the other day and I must say that I am extremely impressed with the works that has been done with the stereoscopic. XBMC certainly come a long way since the first install on my xbox many moons ago... anyway I digress

The majority of the files which I watch in 3D I remuxed (and forced in some situations) to include ASS 3D subtitles so they would be visible in earlier versions of XBMC. With this version I now get double subtitles. Is there a setting that I can change to stop the subtitles from being doubled/duplicated? Huh

Please forgive me if this has been answered, I have read the thread but couldn't find an answer
There is no way to prevent the subtitles from being duplicated other than adding external .srt file to the movie folder.
Yeah srt subtitle files are easy to find (even if not always entirely accurate).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-11, 03:48)baijuxavior Wrote: There is no way to prevent the subtitles from being duplicated other than adding external .srt file to the movie folder.

(2014-01-11, 04:05)nickr Wrote: Yeah srt subtitle files are easy to find (even if not always entirely accurate).

Thank you both for the reply. It is a shame as some of my files have forced subs in ASS for foreign parts and the skin I'm using doesn't support subtitle download yet. Still small price to pay for the greater overall benefit
(2014-01-12, 04:00)schmake Wrote:
(2014-01-11, 03:48)baijuxavior Wrote: There is no way to prevent the subtitles from being duplicated other than adding external .srt file to the movie folder.

(2014-01-11, 04:05)nickr Wrote: Yeah srt subtitle files are easy to find (even if not always entirely accurate).

Thank you both for the reply. It is a shame as some of my files have forced subs in ASS for foreign parts and the skin I'm using doesn't support subtitle download yet. Still small price to pay for the greater overall benefit
You don't HAVE to switch to 3D mode. If your subs are already 3D, what are you missing out on? The OSD?

Frankly the only time I see the OSD when I am watching something is when I hit pause. And then, by definition, I am not watching anyway Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-12, 10:54)nickr Wrote: You don't HAVE to switch to 3D mode. If your subs are already 3D, what are you missing out on? The OSD?

Frankly the only time I see the OSD when I am watching something is when I hit pause. And then, by definition, I am not watching anyway Smile

While it is true that all you would miss out on is the OSD if you are trying to display a SBS file on a 3D tv, it would still be a problem if you wanted to watch that same file in 2D mode. When you set XBMC's 3D mode to 2D, it still doubles the subtitles, it just doesn't display half of them, so you end up with a 2D picture with double subtitles.

Still, as has been pointed out, this can be easily fixed by downloading a srt file.
(2014-01-10, 21:51)mtjerneld Wrote: GUI looks fine, it's the video that gets reduced in quality. I also see the difference before switching the TV to 3D mode, so it's not because of some conversion on the TV end. I would provide screenshots of the difference, but xbmc hangs when I try to take a screenshot with 3D enabled. sigh.

- Video looks fine

This is really weird, especially since you say that no video conversion is taking place, but I'm totally confident that the video quality is significally different. I'll try to find a way to show it.

//M

Did you set the 3D mode to match that of the file? If you try to play a Half-OU file while you have set your preferred mode to SBS, you will end up with reduced picture quality when XBMC scales each half from 1920x540 to 960x1080. The same thing happens when you try to play a Half-SBS file in OU mode.
Hi,
Can someone help clarify for me what the difference between this new 3D feature and what currently in Frodo?
Currently in Frodo: I start 3D SBS movie (there are two images side by side), use my TV remote to turn the TV to 3D mode manually and I got 3D movie.
With this new feature: I start 3D SBS movie, a screen popup asking me what type of format I want to play (select same format as video) there are two images side by side, still have to use my TV remote to turn the TV to 3D mode manually and I got 3D movie.

So what is this new feature suppose to do?
(2014-01-17, 17:09)quan3t Wrote: Hi,
Can someone help clarify for me what the difference between this new 3D feature and what currently in Frodo?
Currently in Frodo: I start 3D SBS movie (there are two images side by side), use my TV remote to turn the TV to 3D mode manually and I got 3D movie.
With this new feature: I start 3D SBS movie, a screen popup asking me what type of format I want to play (select same format as video) there are two images side by side, still have to use my TV remote to turn the TV to 3D mode manually and I got 3D movie.

So what is this new feature suppose to do?

I may be wrong but I believe the biggest change was that OSD menus will display correctly in 3D mode. I'm sure there is probably some behind the scenes stuff as well.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Yesterday I got around to testing an AMD Eyefinity setup with dual passive projectors (for Full-SBS and Full-OU) and I'm happy to report that it works! The only downside is that hardware decoding is not available. AMD Radeon cards with UVD3 should technically have been capable of decoding Full-SBS or 4k video files for years, the feature was first introduced in Catalyst version 10.4(!), but it was buggy and caused BSODs. After some time AMD apparently decided that instead of fixing the drivers, they'd just disable the feature.

To sum up:
Nvidia Purevideo 5 card with Matrox Dualhead can do Full-SBS and Full-OU with hardware or software decoding.
AMD UVD3 Radeon card with Eyefinity can do Full-SBS and Full-OU with software decoding only, at least until AMD fixes their drivers.

For those who are wondering how compatible XBMC is with a dual projector setup, it is, in one word, great!

Dual projector setups work by creating a giant 3840x1080 desktop and then splitting this so each projector gets a regular 1920x1080 picture. This is needed to ensure that the left and right picture are properly synced up, but it also allows XBMC to work in this setup by permanently setting XBMC to side-by-side mode with a 3840x1080 resolution. The display calibration tool needs to be run to get the correct aspect ratio, but only once. My results so far are:

- 2D movies are properly doubled including the subtitles and centered on each projector, so instead of changing XBMC's mode, you simply only turn on one of the projectors when you want to watch a 2D movie. Perfect!

- 3D movies are properly split and centered for Full-SBS, Full-OU, Half-SBS and Half-OU. The subtitles are doubled, so you cannot use the image based double subtitles that you would get when you rip a 3D bluray to Full-SBS. Only .srt subtitle files work.

Off course, if subtitle doubling were disabled, you wouldn't be able to use .srt subtitles and .srt files are easy to find anyway. The only way this would work is if .srt subtiles are doubled, while image based subtitles are not when playing 3D movies, but both types are doubled when playing 2D movies. This is not possible according to the devs, so we'll just have to live with this limitation.

The only feature I am missing is that there is no way to have XBMC start in 3D mode, I have to compile XBMC myself right now, modified to make XBMC always start in SBS mode. Is there a way a start-up setting could be implemented?

All in all it works great, I'm extremely happy that I can use XBMC with a dual projector setup, as it is usually a great hassle to get all possible formats working. XBMC now takes takes care of all these problems. Thanks to everyone who has worked on this incredible piece of software. It's awesome!
(2014-01-17, 16:36)Enkhil Wrote:
(2014-01-10, 21:51)mtjerneld Wrote: GUI looks fine, it's the video that gets reduced in quality. I also see the difference before switching the TV to 3D mode, so it's not because of some conversion on the TV end. I would provide screenshots of the difference, but xbmc hangs when I try to take a screenshot with 3D enabled. sigh.

- Video looks fine

//M

Did you set the 3D mode to match that of the file? If you try to play a Half-OU file while you have set your preferred mode to SBS, you will end up with reduced picture quality when XBMC scales each half from 1920x540 to 960x1080. The same thing happens when you try to play a Half-SBS file in OU mode.

I've got the exact same problem with hsbs/sbs.

If I had used Half-OU for sbs or vice versa I would have know instantly cause it would be a total mess(?).
  • 53(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc11