40 TB HTPC Monster: What components to buy?
Just to be clear, are you building a combined server/playback device, or will you have a separate playback device in which case the server being discussed here is basically "headless"? I currently have a vision (plus the accompanying noise) of 10 HDD and associated case/motherboard fans spinning in your lounge... hope I'm wrong and this will be in a rack/basement/closet/garage etc.?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-06-03, 02:04)mobias1313 Wrote: How is JBOD like RAID0?They are completely different. JBOD is each disk is it's own entity and RAID0 stripes across multiple disks. If a single disk fails you lose everything. If a single disk fails in JBOD you lose only that disk.
That is what I always knew, but I might be wrong.

(2014-06-03, 02:04)mobias1313 Wrote: Personally with the setup you are looking to employ the best way to accomplish this would truly be to utilize a server and client architecture. Look at anyone who runs a large system like this and you will see that the array is always built in a separate stand alone server.
Because of the budget this is out of the question. Also, because of my particular requirements, watching movies/series, I don't see why would I need to have a server and a PC. It is more flexible? Sure. But I see no other advantage.

(2014-06-03, 02:04)mobias1313 Wrote: I would also agree that you should consider some sort of redundancy. I personally have two 33TB arrays using UnRaid and have never regretted that decision.
I already have. Thanks.

(2014-06-03, 02:04)mobias1313 Wrote: Additionally don't look for a motherboard that supports 10+ drives. You would be better off looking at a motherboard with multiple PCI-E slots and utilizing an LSI based controller, such as the IBM M1015. Each one is capable of supporting 8 SATA3.0 drives. Additionally you can flash these to run in IR (RAID Mode) or IT (JBOD Mode).
Why would a card with 8 satas work best than a mother with 10? If it is quality constructed, it should be the same.
(2014-06-03, 02:06)MilhouseVH Wrote: Just to be clear, are you building a combined server/playback device, or will you have a separate playback device in which case the server being discussed here is basically "headless"? I currently have a vision (plus the accompanying noise) of 10 HDD and associated case/motherboard fans spinning in your lounge... hope I'm wrong and this will be in a rack/basement/closet/garage etc.?
It is a combined server/playback device. Today I have two Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2 http://amzn.com/B005GYDMYQ connected to a HTPC build by myself, it has:

1 ASUS EAH6570/DI/1GD3(LP) Radeon HD 6570 DDR3 1 GB Video Card http://amzn.com/B004X8EOB6
1 Ultra Durable 4 Classic GA-B75N Desktop Motherboard http://amzn.com/B00B9WIM0I
1 Intel Core i3-2100 with stock fan http://amzn.com/B004JEVGMO
1 SY1225SL12L Slip Stream 120mm Case Fan

All inside a Rosewill Case and 1x 80mm Fan http://amzn.com/B004Q7FUG2

Do you think it would be that much noise?
(2014-06-03, 02:21)kwanbis Wrote: Do you think it would be that much noise?

If this is in your lounge, absolutely.

Not only will you have fan noise (CPU, PSU, case) but also vibrational noise from 10 HDD (depending on how many are spinning at once) which could be (and usually is, from experience) very noticeable.

If the cost of a separate playback device is an issue, get yourself a Raspberry Pi to tide you over until you've saved up enough for a NUC or something a little more pokey. Or use your old HTPC which should be good enough (no idea on noise level for this although the stock Intel fan and GPU fan would suggest it's unlikely be anything close to being silent).

Your planned kit is, IMHO, not lounge friendly, unless you're hard of hearing... Smile
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-06-03, 02:29)MilhouseVH Wrote: Not only will you have fan noise (CPU, PSU, case) but also vibrational noise from 10 HDD (depending on how many are spinning at once) which could be (and usually is, from experience) very noticeable.
But how is it that any different than what I have today? Today I have:

CPU Fan noise.
PSU Fan noise
Radeon Fan noise
Mediasonic tower Fan noise
And vibrational noise from 8 HDD (depending on how many are spinning at once).

So, today I have an additional fan, the mediasonic tower noise, plus the radeon fan noise. I don't see, and I might be wrong, much of a difference.
Hey, if you're happy with it then fine. Personally speaking it's not something I could live with.
(2014-06-03, 03:08)MilhouseVH Wrote: Hey, if you're happy with it then fine. Personally speaking it's not something I could live with.
No, I love silence, what I'm asking is why do you think it would be noisier than my current setup.
(2014-06-03, 03:20)kwanbis Wrote: No, I love silence, what I'm asking is why do you think it would be noisier than my current setup.

I didn't know, possibly something to do with me not being a mind reader - where did you mention you already had 8 disks in your current setup, it's not in your OP. Nor did you mention you already had 8 HDD when you posted your current spec. Smile

Not that it matters, hopefully you have all the information you require to proceed with your build...
(2014-06-03, 03:25)MilhouseVH Wrote: I didn't know, possibly something to do with me not being a mind reader - where did you mention you already had 8 disks in your current setup, it's not in your OP. Nor did you mention you already had 8 HDD when you posted your current spec. Smile
Sorry, my bad. So what you are saying is that the noise level should be about the same?

(2014-06-03, 03:25)MilhouseVH Wrote: Not that it matters, hopefully you have all the information you require to proceed with your build...
No, actually not, I have added a recap on post 43, but nobody replied so far.
(2014-06-03, 03:50)kwanbis Wrote: Sorry, my bad. So what you are saying is that the noise level should be about the same?

No, it will be 2 HDD louder.

(2014-06-03, 03:50)kwanbis Wrote: No, actually not, I have added a recap on post 43, but nobody replied so far.

Looks fine, go for it.
(2014-06-03, 03:52)MilhouseVH Wrote: Looks fine, go for it.
How can I? I'm asking for what motherboard, what cpu and what psu to buy on post 43. But thanks anyways.
OK, so I just updated the first post with a much better, I hope, explanation. I also decided to split this thread into a second one about the server option. On the first post there is a link to that thread also, but just in case it is this one: forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=196856
I'm still a little confused on what you want to do, but I'll start off with a basic suggestion: If you already have a decent HTPC that works well as a HTPC, don't bother replacing it with another HTPC/server device unless it's going to improve the HTPC function in some way. Otherwise, leave the HTPC alone and just build another server.

Ideally, the best situation would be having all the disks on the same server, but I'm going to assume that building such a server would be out of your budget. I think the next best solution would be to build another server, and then connect your two Mediasonic towers to that server. I would suggest keeping the server and Mediasonic towers in a separate room, and accessing everything over a wired connection. This would help reduce the noise and heat issues, and also give your TV area a much cleaner look.

Also, how bad is the noise from your current HTPC? If it is indeed noticeably noisy, you may want to consider swapping it out for an i3 or i5 NUC. It would perform similarly, but make far less noise than all those extra fans in your current HTPC.
Why can't you use your existing pc as playback HTPC and just build a separate server. It sounds like your external enclosures already work, are you planning to sell them off? Not sure why you want to build yet another server when you could just reuse the existing components and get a cheap playback device instead. Maybe I'm missing something.
(2014-06-03, 18:35)MrCrispy Wrote: Why can't you use your existing pc as playback HTPC and just build a separate server. It sounds like your external enclosures already work, are you planning to sell them off? Not sure why you want to build yet another server when you could just reuse the existing components and get a cheap playback device instead. Maybe I'm missing something.

He said he's about to fill up the two 20 TB towers, so he's going to build another 40 TB tower and back up the data on that 40 TB tower on the two 20 TB towers.

@kwanbis I know RAID is not a permanent backup solution, but if it's your media collection that can be re-ripped, I think the best overall solution would be to build your new server with some sort of software RAID that has at least a 2 drive failure tolerance. This would cause you to lose 8 TB of storage, but you wouldn't have to worry so much about having to manually backup your data as often, and whatever storage you are missing could be compensated for with your already existing 20 TB towers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
40 TB HTPC Monster: What components to buy?1