• 18(current)
New HiMedia Q5
(2015-06-06, 12:09)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-06-06, 02:35)hdmkv Wrote: If you need/want 3D, HD audio and 23.976 all in one box, Q5 is it. If you want something with better 4K and gaming, then Shield. But, for proper framerates and HD audio support, it'll take a while I think for nVidia to support. And, 3D, a longshot.

To be perfectly clear, this is only true if you want/need Android as well. I don't know why anyone would put up with this horrific box otherwise. Anyone who cares about high quality video and audio should not buy an Android box, no matter how close this thing gets.

High quality video and audio should not buy an Android box

WHY?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Got Kodi working but getting no sound out from HDMI connection when in 4k mode.
(2015-06-06, 02:35)hdmkv Wrote: If you need/want 3D, HD audio and 23.976 all in one box, Q5 is it. If you want something with better 4K and gaming, then Shield. But, for proper framerates and HD audio support, it'll take a while I think for nVidia to support. And, 3D, a longshot.

To be perfectly clear, this is only true if you want/need Android as well. I don't know why anyone would put up with this horrific box otherwise. Anyone who cares about high quality video and audio should not buy an Android box, no matter how close this thing gets.

I dont agree
Name 1 box that does all the same without harassing to use external player in windows , which looks by the way far more away from the kodi experience..

Right, you cant!
(2015-06-06, 12:15)Nekromantik Wrote: Well I guess budget needs to come into consideration also.
To get a 4k NUC its three times the price after adding RAM and HD.

You get what you pay for. Anyone who will care about 4k will care about h.265 support, and so far all of the Android boxes that support h.265 are incomplete in that support.

(2015-06-06, 13:23)movie78 Wrote: High quality video and audio should not buy an Android box

WHY?

zomg, angry bold text! I didn't insult your mother, so calm down.

(2015-06-06, 21:16)Skank Wrote: I dont agree
Name 1 box that does all the same without harassing to use external player in windows , which looks by the way far more away from the kodi experience..

Right, you cant!

I'm honestly surprised that anyone thinks the Q5 isn't a hassle. I'd gladly have something with better picture quality, proper support, and deal with external players long before ever recommending something like this. We've been down paths like this before, and they typically lead to a dead ends. On any platform, I've never understood why people put up with these half solutions for the sake of formats that should be discouraged.
(2015-06-07, 12:24)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-06-06, 12:15)Nekromantik Wrote: Well I guess budget needs to come into consideration also.

You get what you pay for. Anyone who will care about 4k will care about h.265 support, and so far all of the Android boxes that support h.265 are incomplete in that support.

(2015-06-06, 13:23)movie78 Wrote: High quality video and audio should not buy an Android box

WHY?

Right, you cant!

I'm honestly surprised that anyone thinks the Q5 isn't a hassle. I'd gladly have something with better picture quality, proper support, and deal with external players long before ever recommending something like this. We've been down paths like this before, and they typically lead to a dead ends. On any platform, I've never understood why people put up with these half solutions for the sake of formats that should be discouraged.

Its just a question and i wanted to know your experience opinion, no need to get aggressive.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-06-07, 12:24)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm honestly surprised that anyone thinks the Q5 isn't a hassle. I'd gladly have something with better picture quality, proper support, and deal with external players long before ever recommending something like this. We've been down paths like this before, and they typically lead to a dead ends. On any platform, I've never understood why people put up with these half solutions for the sake of formats that should be discouraged.

ok, you can recommending something support:
- good picture quality like SIGMA
- FULL3D + external subtitle
- Audio HD(atmos)
- juboxe like kodi
- download subtitile like kodi
- stable

at the same price of himedia M3 100€, especial in europe?
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2015-06-07, 12:24)Ned Scott Wrote:

WHY?

Right, you cant!

Thats not an answer to my question Smile
My answer is that anything I suggest as an alternative will be up for debate about "hassle". I would argue that a Windows or Linux alternative with external players could be done with less of what I consider "hassle". I would argue that dealing with external players or special builds on a Q5 is not better than doing so on x86 platforms. I would even argue that some people would be better off and feel it is less of a hassle to use two physically different devices and use media stubs (wiki) in Kodi. At least that would have long term support and could be counted on, rather than this absurd wrapper solution. How is that any better than some of the x86 external player options out there? You will never have the full Kodi feature set, period.

You guys love a hacky solution, great, good for you. It's good to know how far people will bend over backwards for certain 3D video file formats.
(2015-06-06, 13:23)movie78 Wrote:

High quality video and audio should not buy an Android box

WHY?

In general Android boxes have quite limited support for functionality that is required to deliver high quality AV output.

Usually this means that you have limited codec support (some Android solutions only accelerate H264 content), limited output refresh rate switching (allowing content to be output at the best refresh rate dynamically) and video format support (say manual selection of YCrCb, RGB, 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4, Full and Limited), limited support for 1000/1001 refresh rates (aka 23.976/59.94), limited or non-existent support for HD Audio bitstreaming, limited or non-existent support for deinterlacing in quality, and limited or non-existent support for 3D MVC decoding and frame packed 24p output.

A lot of Android solutions rely on external players, which means leaving the Kodi player infrastructure, which then means no Kodi GUI and subtitles etc. during replay.

Try playing MPEG2 1080i at 59.94Hz refresh with srt subtitles, then switch to 720/50p H264 with dvb subtitles, than a 1080/23.976p file with embedded Blu-ray subtitles, followed by a 1080/24.000p file, then a 576/50i H264 natively interlaced file, followed by a 480/23.976Hz file carried in a 59.94Hz wrapper...
(2015-06-08, 03:02)Ned Scott Wrote: My answer is that anything I suggest as an alternative will be up for debate about "hassle". I would argue that a Windows or Linux alternative with external players could be done with less of what I consider "hassle". I would argue that dealing with external players or special builds on a Q5 is not better than doing so on x86 platforms. I would even argue that some people would be better off and feel it is less of a hassle to use two physically different devices and use media stubs (wiki) in Kodi. At least that would have long term support and could be counted on, rather than this absurd wrapper solution. How is that any better than some of the x86 external player options out there? You will never have the full Kodi feature set, period.

You guys love a hacky solution, great, good for you. It's good to know how far people will bend over backwards for certain 3D video file formats.

Ned,

So in your eyes, using 2 devices instead of one is less hassle?
Mmmm not in my eyes.
Yes you lose player infrastructure during play, but i dont need that once im playing movies (only pause, stop and forward, but that external player has it too)
I dont get it either how you can say that external players in windows is less hassle.
If you use tmt 6 as external player in windows (i have a windows kodi with tmt 6 too) its much more hassle than Q5 ... with external player.
Layout of tmt 6 ouyt of kodi, brings you away from kodi experience much more than external of Q5..

A lot of people here say that 3D is not much of importance, and its fading away
But now you say its good to know how far people will bend over backwards for certain 3d

Isnt that contradictorY (or how do you say that)

It seems much more people DO care about 3d
Are you saying it's more of a hassle to use, or more of a hassle to set up?

I think it is insane that anyone thinks it is acceptable to lose Kodi's core functionality, as a video player, by using an external player. Add-ons (like subtitles, lighting control, audio DSP, playback scripts) can't hook into that. Things like smartphone/tablet or anything using JSON-RPC will have an issue with that. You can't use any of Kodi's skip steps or analog seeking (so many people seem to forget how awesome analog seeking is).

So if you're going to do that, then why split hairs over seeing the external player load just before playback on Windows? At least on an x86 machine you will have a better chance at perfect playback and far better support that doesn't depend on HiMedia.

In the end, even if I loved 3D movies more than women (3D or otherwise), I still wouldn't buy something like the Q5. To each their own, I guess.

Quote:A lot of people here say that 3D is not much of importance, and its fading away
But now you say its good to know how far people will bend over backwards for certain 3d

No, that's a logical fallacy. Knowing that some people will use a device (that lacks proper support for non-3D related things that even other Android boxes can do better.) does not indicate how many people want that ability. Even if that small group of users care really really strongly about it, that does not actually increase the number of users.
Both,its more of a hassle to setup 2 devices or windows with external player than to setup himedias player
Its also more of a hassle to use 2 devices or windows with external player than to use himedias player/

Truly audio DSP is normally done by my amplifier, lightning control? truly, i dont use that... its way less important than able to play 3d movies
Subtitles, dont use it either, the movies i get, already have subs
Even with using smartphone / tablet .. , i still think that using a remote with hard buttons is much easier than on tablet/smartphone, when i use kodi,; i look at my tv (big screen) rather than on tablet/smartphone

(im talking about my personal opinion)

So for me, a videoplayer needs to play as many formats (including 3d) as can, rather than having addons which i dont use

So i want as easy to setup mediaplayer, with kodi GUi that plays everything..
Without the need to setup myself external players etc etc
(2015-06-08, 11:01)Ned Scott Wrote: Even if that small group of users care really really strongly about it, that does not actually increase the number of users.

I do know that, i never said that
But still, you dont answer my question:
Kodi codecinfo overlay, (pressing "o" key during vídeo playback) works just with internal dvd player or can work with himedia wrapper ?
(2015-06-08, 11:01)Ned Scott Wrote: Are you saying it's more of a hassle to use, or more of a hassle to set up?

I think it is insane that anyone thinks it is acceptable to lose Kodi's core functionality, as a video player, by using an external player. Add-ons (like subtitles, lighting control, audio DSP, playback scripts) can't hook into that. Things like smartphone/tablet or anything using JSON-RPC will have an issue with that. You can't use any of Kodi's skip steps or analog seeking (so many people seem to forget how awesome analog seeking is).

So if you're going to do that, then why split hairs over seeing the external player load just before playback on Windows? At least on an x86 machine you will have a better chance at perfect playback and far better support that doesn't depend on HiMedia.

In the end, even if I loved 3D movies more than women (3D or otherwise), I still wouldn't buy something like the Q5. To each their own, I guess.

Quote:A lot of people here say that 3D is not much of importance, and its fading away

No, that's a logical fallacy. Knowing that some people will use a device (that lacks proper support for non-3D related things that even other Android boxes can do better.) does not indicate how many people want that ability. Even if that small group of users care really really strongly about it, that does not actually increase the number of users.

why you think black or white?
why is insane?
"Add-ons (like subtitles, lighting control, audio DSP, playback scripts)"
- i use dvd player for download subtitle and than watch with hi mediaplayer
- lighting control: don't like
- audio DSP: i have top level onkyo AV-receiver i always use passthrough
- playback scripts: never use

different country ...different people .... different priority

At the start of xbmc there only one device , i like it and use as possible.
After there is only one codec most used h264 and one resolution FHD
Now there are to many codec... many resolution ... many device.

I very like kodi , but if it is more open with external player can be more flexible for people that have different priority.
IMMO
(2015-06-08, 12:03)Saragosa Wrote: Kodi codecinfo overlay, (pressing "o" key during vídeo playback) works just with internal dvd player or can work with himedia wrapper ?
codec info work only with dvdplayer
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HiMedia Q53