Win Windows 7 SMB Wiki update
(2015-07-24, 14:39)levi.baker88 Wrote: The wiki stats it should be removed for SMB to work (granted this was with XBOX), but if SMB still works with Windows Live Sign-In, then the comment can be removed from the wiki and forgotten about. Otherwise I will need to make a special point under troubleshooting.
Okay. I'll have enough combinations of PCs around over the next weeks that I'll have something with that crud still in place. Is it even still used by Microsoft? OR is that one of the old technologies that they've moved on from. I know the Essential 2011 pack was very different to the 2012 one. Generally I only ever touch them to pick the Movie and Picture editors out for my clients.

Actually, the more I understand your request, the more I can see the Live Sign-in thing really isn't relevant. I do not have an XBOX. Of any form. So if the Wiki says that you need "Windows Live Sign-In" for an XBox to talk to you, then this is nothing to do with standard requirements of SMB operation on Windows PCs. That sounds to me like just a special for the XBOX as it wasn't pure SMB.
Just stumbled across this thread and read the Wiki article in question. As someone who has been using XBMC since it was XBMP on Xbox it was a real trip down memory lane!

In my opinion, the entire Wiki page can be junked because 95% is irrelevant or 'not the best guidance'.
I would suggest removing all the Windows XP related content as it is not supported by Kodi and not supported by Microsoft (why give people encouragement to keep using an operating system that is only going to be an increasing security risk and probably cause support forum questions?)
I'm a 100% Windows user with my content having sat originally on a WHS running Win2K3 and now on a Win 2012 R2 server. Am connecting to this device with a mix of Win 7, 8.1 and 10 PCs running Kodi.

As has been stated, all the historical stuff that had to do with getting XBMC4XBOX to work can go.
Using Windows Homegroup? I can't think of a harder way to make it all work!

Surely the simplest way is:
1. Ensure PCs/Servers are members of the same Workgroup
2. On the server, create a user account with a password with required permissions to access media shares on your server
3. Logon to client PCs with username/password (verifying you can access the media shares and media on your server through Windows Explorer)
4. If you need to logon to the client PC with a different username for some reason, map a drive (or better, make persistent maped driver to server's ipc$ share) using the Kodi username/password

That's just a high level set of thoughts and my 2c.
Kodi 17.6 on multiple Windows 10 x64 machines with shared MySQL 5.6.43 database. Kodi 18 on Xbox One. Content (music, video, photos) stored on Windows Server 2012 R2 file server and accessed by SMB.
Just replace the page with one that says "install Linux, then samba".
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Given the few people that have commented, I take it we are in favour of removing any comment about Windows Live Sign-In from the wiki due to Kodi (xbmc) no longer supporting Xbox.

(2015-07-24, 23:38)AnthonyB Wrote: I would suggest removing all the Windows XP related content as it is not supported by Kodi

Can you please provide a forum thread to backup your claim as that can be referenced within the wiki upon removal of Windows XP information.

(2015-07-24, 23:38)AnthonyB Wrote: 1. Ensure PCs/Servers are members of the same Workgroup
2. On the server, create a user account with a password with required permissions to access media shares on your server
3. Logon to client PCs with username/password (verifying you can access the media shares and media on your server through Windows Explorer)
4. If you need to logon to the client PC with a different username for some reason, map a drive (or better, make persistent maped driver to server's ipc$ share) using the Kodi username/password

Yes that is the simplest way. Funnily enough, it's called sharing within Homegorup in Windows.

(2015-07-25, 01:40)nickr Wrote: Just replace the page with one that says "install Linux, then samba".

That Linux stuff is a bit fancy for us simple Windows creatures.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
A lot bloody simpler than trying to get windows these days to act as a simple file server by the look of those wiki pages!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It is very simple in Windows too, it can just get done incorrectly a little more easier than Linux.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
Sorry, I have probably rained a little much on your parade, good on you for updating the wiki, redundant stuff needs a clean. Well done.
(2015-07-24, 23:38)AnthonyB Wrote: Surely the simplest way is:
1. Ensure PCs/Servers are members of the same Workgroup
This is the one... but even more simplification to add as you don't need to login as the same user as the client PCs. You also don't need to map a network drive.

Example: I am logged in as FRED on the PC where I run KODI. I go into KODI to add a new source via SMB. When I navigate to the server to add the source KODI quite happily will login to the SMB share with a different username and password and then remember it. This is how I have always used KODI.

You do realise what this thread is already showing. KODI works so well over SMB that no one really noticed the Wiki page was not relevant. Big Grin
Anyone got some recommendations on free video capture software? Was thinking about using FRAPS?
Lets try not to drag this thread off topic too quickly.... Wink

As mentioned earlier, I have been helping someone on the forum to get SAMBA setup. I have just hammered through my classic tutorial steps and posted them in the thread. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2062354

Currently Text Only. I'll polish these up and get some images sorted to make it clearer. Have a handful of screen grabs already.

I'll see what abedrax's feedback is from that tutorial and tweak as needed.

I can then look at attempting to get this to work in Wiki format if wanted. Though I am more of a Wiki hacker than expert at Wiki writing.

This is also all being checked on a fresh Win 7 Pro PC. I will have to write a slightly different version for Home editions of Windows as they are missing vital dialogs for working in this Old Skool way. The aim is to get generic instructions that need the minimum of fiddling to get them to work.

As I work through this my posts in that thread are being constantly re-editied. Tweaks being done to add in missing information and images being added to make if a bit clearer. Ideally I am trying to get through the whole task with Abedrax to make sure the instructions really are useable.

Once I have abedrax happy and connected with his Amazon Fire, please point me in the direction of Wikification and we can slap these instructions into something useable.
And please for the love of standardization..ensure that SAMBA is not used in documentation for windows only. SMB is the relevant and correct term. Though I know win started out samba.. It confuses people and they start calling the sky green because they have seen it too many times. Angry Big Grin

But I have a question. Is the need for going down the rabbit hole and showing everyone the wizardry of user groups, etc really the right path?

After all setting down a common work group and either using or not using homecult, making a few file share changes via gui, and simply patching sources through a standard SMB: source seems to work just fine, and that's what really needs to be pinged on in my opinion.

The basic package works, regardless of user authentication. And realistically the idea is to get the user setup and moving on as fast as possible.

If someone wants true lockdown file sharing and authenticated groups, then we can call that advanced settings 101, and drop it somewhere else.

Truthfully the lowest common denominator simply wants to click click watch, than potentially jack their system with the nasa version. Just my opinion. Smile
I really have no idea what I am talking about. Proceed with caution. I confuse easily. And drink. A lot.
For sure samba is the open source Unix implementation of smb and cifs, which predates windows.
(2015-07-26, 02:54)Redwingsfansfc Wrote: But I have a question. Is the need for going down the rabbit hole and showing everyone the wizardry of user groups, etc really the right path?

After all setting down a common work group and either using or not using homecult, making a few file share changes via gui, and simply patching sources through a standard SMB: source seems to work just fine, and that's what really needs to be pinged on in my opinion.

This is the direction that the wiki will be taking, as it is the most basic (and fastest) method of getting SMB working.

Given the detail of methods provided by BatterPudding an "Advanced" SMB may also be included.
(2015-07-25, 04:53)levi.baker88 Wrote: Given the few people that have commented, I take it we are in favour of removing any comment about Windows Live Sign-In from the wiki due to Kodi (xbmc) no longer supporting Xbox.

(2015-07-24, 23:38)AnthonyB Wrote: I would suggest removing all the Windows XP related content as it is not supported by Kodi

Can you please provide a forum thread to backup your claim as that can be referenced within the wiki upon removal of Windows XP information.

Straight from the Kodi team's official software requirements:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows
2. Requirements

OS minimum to run Kodi: Windows Vista.
Kodi 17.6 on multiple Windows 10 x64 machines with shared MySQL 5.6.43 database. Kodi 18 on Xbox One. Content (music, video, photos) stored on Windows Server 2012 R2 file server and accessed by SMB.
(2015-07-25, 05:34)nickr Wrote: A lot bloody simpler than trying to get windows these days to act as a simple file server by the look of those wiki pages!

and I feel exactly the same about your choice of OS Smile

...because, clearly this (http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux) is easier.. all mumbo jumbo voodoo to me Smile

Both Windows and *nix make perfectly good platforms for running Kodi. It's what we're (more) familiar with that makes the experience easier.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 SMB Wiki update2