Win Windows 10 video in Kodi not working
Microsoft also posted yesterday in their Insiders Hub app for Windows 10 that there is a known issue with "Legacy AMD (ATI) display driver issues"

TL;DR

Drivers recently added to WU are incorrectly targeting legacy AMD (ATI) display adapters and blocking the correct driver from loading. The display adapters affected (Radeon HD 2000-4000 series or equivalent FireGL/FirePro/FireMV model) are typically found in the HP Z400/420/440 series desktop PCs.

Problem

When the driver fails to install, functionality is lost related to graphics hardware acceleration such as faster performance, multi-monitor support, and higher screen resolutions.

Action Required
1.Open the Device Manager (press Windows key + X, then the M key)
2.Expand the Display adapters section
3.Right click on the affected display adapter shown and select Uninstall
4.In the next dialog check the box to Delete the driver software for this device and click on the OK button.
5.Once the driver has completed uninstalling go to the Device Manager menu and select Action and then click on Scan for hardware changes.
6.The previous good driver should then be found and used.
7.Note: There may be multiple instances of the bad driver installed, so steps 3 thru 5 may need to be run multiple times (we’ve had reports of up to 8 times needed)
8.If the display adapter shows up as a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, then right click on it and click on Update Driver Software…
9.Then click on Search automatically for updated driver software, and the correct driver will be downloaded and installed from WU

Who

Systems running Windows 10 that have a Radeon HD 2000-4000 series or equivalent FireGL/FirePro/FireMV model display adapter.

Why

On 8/7/2015 an OEM driver (v15.200.1060.0, 7/15/2015) was published to Win10 WU which incorrectly targeted some legacy AMD (ATI) display adapters. This driver does not actually support these display adapters, and effectively blocks the correct driver (v8.970.100.9001, 1/13/2015) from being utilized.

ETA for fix

Complete - the driver has been fixed on WU.
Kodi 17.6 on multiple Windows 10 x64 machines with shared MySQL 5.6.43 database. Kodi 18 on Xbox One. Content (music, video, photos) stored on Windows Server 2012 R2 file server and accessed by SMB.
I have the same issue on my asrock ion 330bt. The newest catalyst drivers cannot be installed and windows update process installs a driver that disables dxva. So the system is very slow. Reverting back to older neta drivers does not work proprerly so i used the command "reset windows" from the start menu. I there chose to revert my system back to windows 7. All my issues are now gone. Seems that windows 7 is better in this case then 10.
(2015-07-31, 19:41)clayw1pi Wrote: If you add Kodi 15 to your Windows 10 system you are likely to experience total lockup when you try to show a movie or tv show. You hear the audio, but there is no video and you are totally locked up. If this happens to you, use the control, alt delete to get out of the lockup or reload Kodi 15. Then go to System, Video and deselect the "Allow Hardware Acceleration - DXVA2." This was my FIX for this problem. Good luck.

clay

Took me forever to find a fix...thanks Clay Kodi is Back to Normal for me!!
Hello,

same issue for me with asus e45m1-m pro.

I disabled the hardware decoding and I am able to watch 720 movies now.

But 1080 movies lags.

I cannot believe that AMD didn't prepared proper drivers for the lauch of windows 10 Angry . . .
(2015-08-24, 12:26)bichodoido Wrote: Hello,

But 1080 movies lags.

I cannot believe that AMD didn't prepared proper drivers for the lauch of windows 10 Angry . . .

It also works when I simply disable the DXVA2 HW accelaration.
(2015-08-31, 08:18)bichodoido Wrote:
(2015-08-24, 12:26)bichodoido Wrote: Hello,

But 1080 movies lags.

It also works when I simply disable the DXVA2 HW accelaration.
Could you please send the screenshot where this option can be found.

I really can't find it. I enabled expert mode.
bat0nas
HW:
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB + Denon AVR-1912
SW: Raspbian + Kodi
       (always latest version and up to date)
Do not disable DXVA2, just downgrade to the previous driver (15.6 beta is a good candidate). AMDs latest driver (15.7) fails to install and then removes functionality. Uninstall all AMD stuff (incl. the driver) and then install the 15.6 driver from AMDs site : http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles...-beta.aspx
Did that two times already. MS updated automatically two times already Smile
bat0nas
HW:
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB + Denon AVR-1912
SW: Raspbian + Kodi
       (always latest version and up to date)
Hi,

I had/have the same issue,Mine is a Biostar A68i-350 Deluxe R2.0,Just did a fresh install of Win10 and bang got screwed with the playback !

Kodi refused to play anything and would hang if the DXVA2 was enabled,if I disable it plays but like frame by frame,couldn't even play 720P.

Finally I reverted back to the original drivers( After uninstalling the same with DDU from Guru3D) that came with the mobo (selected Win8 one) and now things are much better !! Am able to play almost anything. So would suggest all to use the original driver that came with the Mobo or like others have mentioned use the beta one !!

(2015-08-31, 09:42)bat0nas Wrote: Did that two times already. MS updated automatically two times already Smile

Please use the DDU from Guru3D posted in the earlier post,it'll disable the auto update from M$ !! I have done the same and so far so good !!

On a different,I would like to ask other fellow owners of 350/450 or such mobo what is the config that worked best for you ?? any tweaking in Win10 ?? Although as mentioned Am now able to play things okay but still see that the CPU usage sometimes touches full and video jerks or frame drops happen ! Any remedy to this ??
MOBO :AMD A68i-350
RAM:6GB DDR3
CPU : 1.6GHZ DUAL CORE
GPU : HD6310 (512MB Shared Memory)
(2015-08-09, 20:11)Laserray Wrote: Here is the fix.
Got it from -> https://community.amd.com/thread/184785

You must uninstall your AMD drivers, and it's programs.

Unzip [Guru3D.com]-DDU and run the cleaner program to clean all the AMD stuff from your computer.
It will reboot to safe mode to delete everything.
Reboot
Run [Guru3D]-AMD-Catalyst-15.4Beta-64Bit-Win8.1-Apr9.exe
This an old Windows 8.1 beta driver and seems to work much better than the v15.7 package.
Edit, it would be better just to load the AMD graphics driver only. Other it will update on every reboot.

Enable DVXA2 acceleration. Now every video plays correctly. BTW I'm still running the DirectX beta as suggested.
I seem to still have file sharing problems with my remote thumbnalis from my server on startup only.
Edit looks like thumbnails are just slow to update on startup.

Here is a dropbox link to the 2 files you need, to save you time looking for them.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/brf6wpapy90w3...d6EUa?dl=0

You must delete amd catalyst control center and revert the AMD graphics card to v14.5, v15.2 doesn't work.
amd catalyst control center does you a favor and updates your driver to v15.2 after a reboot Sad
Found out the hard way.

I tried everything other than this approach, all to no avail. Tried KODI 15.2 RC, KODI 15.1 DirectX 11 Test Build, updating Catalyst Control Center to 15.8. Nothing did the trick until I followed all of the above steps. NOW IT'S WORKING LIKE A CHARM. Don't forget to delete AMD Catalyst Control Center.

UPDATE: Just uninstalling the AMD Catalyst Control Center isn't a permanent solution. The next day after doing this fix, it was back again and the driver had been updated to the broken version. To avoid this, you need to do the following:

1. From the Windows 10 Start menu, click Settings.
  2. Click Update & Security.
  3. Under Windows Update click Advanced Options.
  4. UN-CHECK "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows".
  5. Close the settings window.
  6. Right-click on the Windows Task bar and select Task Manager.
  7. If you're only seeing your open apps, click on "More details" at the bottom of the window.
  8. Click on the Services tab.
  9. At the bottom of the window, click on "Open Services".
  10. Right-click on "AMD External Events Utility" and select Properties.
  11. On the "Startup type" drop-down select Disabled and click OK.

That should keep the system from downloading and installing the latest Catalyst Control Center.
Cheers................................DenmanGuy

Amp: ONKYO TX-SR494; Display: SAMSUNG Q60 58" QLED TV; Processor: Fire TV Stick 4K Max (2nd Gen) - Quad-core 2.0GHz; OS: Android; RAM: 16 GB; KODI: 21.0.0
(2015-09-01, 22:17)DenmanGuy Wrote:

Unzip [Guru3D.com]-DDU and run the cleaner program to clean all the AMD stuff from your computer.
Reboot
This an old Windows 8.1 beta driver and seems to work much better than the v15.7 package.
Edit, it would be better just to load the AMD graphics driver only. Other it will update on every reboot.

Enable DVXA2 acceleration. Now every video plays correctly. BTW I'm still running the DirectX beta as suggested.
I seem to still have file sharing problems with my remote thumbnalis from my server on startup only.

Here is a dropbox link to the 2 files you need, to save you time looking for them.

You must delete amd catalyst control center and revert the AMD graphics card to v14.5, v15.2 doesn't work.
amd catalyst control center does you a favor and updates your driver to v15.2 after a reboot Sad
Found out the hard way.

I tried everything other than this approach, all to no avail. Tried KODI 15.2 RC, KODI 15.1 DirectX 11 Test Build, updating Catalyst Control Center to 15.8. Nothing did the trick until I followed all of the above steps. NOW IT'S WORKING LIKE A CHARM. Don't forget to delete AMD Catalyst Control Center.

UPDATE: Just uninstalling the AMD Catalyst Control Center isn't a permanent solution. The next day after doing this fix, it was back again and the driver had been updated to the broken version. To avoid this, you need to do the following:

4. UN-CHECK "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows".
  7. If you're only seeing your open apps, click on "More details" at the bottom of the window.

That should keep the system from downloading and installing the latest Catalyst Control Center.

This did work as well for me.

Thanks for sharing
(2015-09-12, 11:37)bichodoido Wrote:
(2015-09-01, 22:17)DenmanGuy Wrote:

Reboot

Found out the hard way.

This did work as well for me.

Thanks for sharing

Have tried this solution but with no,luck.
After disabling DXVA acceleration in Kodi Settings has solved my issue.
Will now go without HW-Acceleration for now.
My CPU load is at ~6% on an 1080p movie, so its ok for me.

thx
pOpY

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 video in Kodi not working2