• 11(current)
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV
Hi,

i bought a week ago a kdl-50w805c (3d/non-4k) and until now Kodi is working good except a few times the app is getting freeze but happens with non-official addons.

how the kodi faq, say, 3d is not working.

but my big problems is configure the video source. im trying to kodi to see the hard drive is on my pc (windows). but is asking me for credential and dont accept any...
any one have any idea??

thanks!
sorry for my english
(2015-10-20, 15:22)greywolfnz Wrote: Just got my new KD-75X8500C and installed Kodi. Unfortunately none of the options for adding video sources are working.

Over NFS, I can see the shares, but not anything in them.
Over SMB, Kodi just throws an error when I try to select the wrokgroup.
For local storage, I have no idea what file path the TV is mounting USB drives on, so I can't find the videos.
Over UPnP Kodi sees the videos and loads the metadata, but won't play anything.

*All* of these methods work fine on my other Kodi devices (linux, OS X, Windows 10, Openelec Raspberry pi 2), but not on the TV.

I'm stuck. The TVs own players don't want to playback my mkvs, either.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Hi

I faced the same issue with SMB.
The problem is related to Kodi not able to write .XML file within its own directory, and login/password information has to be filled in such XML file.
I don't recall the exact name of the XML files (one of them was sources.xml I think), what I did is that I copied 2 XML files from another Kodi installation (where sources were already present, with login/password saved) onto my Bravia TV (75X8505C) with ES Explorer and it fixed the issue for me
Hi, can someone help me get 5.1 out from Kodi on my Sony KDL-50W800C via optical to Logitech Z5500. I've tried all the different options I can find. Source is AAC 5.1, I've got the option in Kodi set to transcode AAC to AC3, enable pass through, enabled DD and DTS. In the TV settings I've tried speakers to home theatre (still comes out Logitech if I leave it on TV speakers). I've tried auto 1 and auto 2 for the digital out options, not sure if I've left it on PCM, I think it defaults to that anyway. I've read people get it working using any of the 3 options.
Am I missing something? I'll try find a file with AC3 sound to test that too. TV is up to date (NZ). Thanks.
(2015-10-21, 11:28)WishmastR Wrote:
(2015-10-20, 15:22)greywolfnz Wrote: Just got my new KD-75X8500C and installed Kodi. Unfortunately none of the options for adding video sources are working.

Over NFS, I can see the shares, but not anything in them.
Over SMB, Kodi just throws an error when I try to select the wrokgroup.
For local storage, I have no idea what file path the TV is mounting USB drives on, so I can't find the videos.
Over UPnP Kodi sees the videos and loads the metadata, but won't play anything.

*All* of these methods work fine on my other Kodi devices (linux, OS X, Windows 10, Openelec Raspberry pi 2), but not on the TV.

I'm stuck. The TVs own players don't want to playback my mkvs, either.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Hi

I faced the same issue with SMB.
The problem is related to Kodi not able to write .XML file within its own directory, and login/password information has to be filled in such XML file.
I don't recall the exact name of the XML files (one of them was sources.xml I think), what I did is that I copied 2 XML files from another Kodi installation (where sources were already present, with login/password saved) onto my Bravia TV (75X8505C) with ES Explorer and it fixed the issue for me

i copied the source.xml and i have "add" the source but still asking me for the credentials.. if u remember the other xml would be amazing!

thanks
NOTICE For Kodi v16 "Jarvis"

Android Surface Rendering

Today we merged a change for Android which makes it possible for the GUI to be displayed at 1080p and the video playback at 4K. We now use the "android surface rendering" which is a default implementation of the Android system.
What this does is grant the ability for the device to render the Kodi GUI at say 1080p but actually do video playback at 4K.

This doesn't apply to amlogic devices with proper permissions, which will still use amcodec.

Any build from 24th October will have this change and should make any device that uses the proper implementation of the Android API.
Should you be able please test out these builds. Be warned that this is based on Kodi v16 and these are still devs builds and caution should be taken.

Disclaimer:
As we just implemented this change there could still be some minors bugs that could pop up with the variety of devices that will be solved during coming weeks.
In case you have a problem with video playback please provide proper debuglogs and information. Failing to do so the problem will be ignored.

Any device that is not able to do "android surface rendering" has not implemented the standard Android MediaCodec API the proper way. If this is the case please go ask your device manufacturer to do a proper job and release a fixed FW version. We as Team Kodi are not responsible for broken or bad firmware by device manufacturers. We will no longer implement any hacks or workarounds.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hey Martijn, that's great to hear! can't wait to test but the most current build doesn't seem to be available yet

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android...bi-v7a.apk

will try it again tomorrow via adb install

again, thanks! sounds amazing!
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Should be there in half an hour
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I can confirm that with this nightly build I can play 4k UHD blender movies (big buck bunny, tears of steel) with Kodi from SMB share in native 4k resolution on the X8505c - smooth! the movies actually play back and look exactly as if played from USB by the integrated Sony video player app, and yes, they look amazing. apart from all the TV bugs I love the Sony just for its display. will test some more files over the next few days.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
@Martijn: Thanks! I didn't expect this so soon. You all are doing a great job for the Sony TV fans. Could it be that one of yours also has one of those TV's? Wink
@Hannes: Thanks for sharing all your knowledge. Every post is very detailled and full of information. I am looking forward to read more about your experience with Kodi @4K.
Hi Guys n Girls . Is it just me or has the Kodi app been removed from the play store on android tv's ? having trouble locating it :-( for my new 55X9305 , sure it was there a few days ago . so im assuming this will be something to do with the version of android on the TV's or firmware . would anyone know this to be the case ?
kodi is not in the android tv google play store, but you can sideload it through es file explorer by putting it into remote manager mode.
This would turn your bravia into a ftp server where you can drag and drop APKs with simplicity.
strange, the Play Store still has Kodi listed and compatible with "No carrier Sony BRAVIA 4K 2015" (I love how my TV has no carrier....)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai....xbmc.kodi

also thanks for the hint with the ES file explorer, that sounds much easier as I use to - sideloading via terminal and adb....
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
@Martijn very nice work with this Surface rendering. Now on my 809c I finally have smooth playback. However, I find version from 10.26 much worse than the first one with this implementation (probably kodi-20151023-9a517d9-master-armeabi-v7a.apk).
In version from 10.23 I get the same quality and framerate as in stock Video app (there are in fact some issues with audio sync). 10.26 stutter on some videos (eg. 720P movie drops to 19 FPS sometimes). I'm aware that this is still in development and will improve in the future. Thanks!
There is no another thing that is (imo) very interesting. When I play a movie using stock Video App and press screen settings I can see that the title for the menu is "Application (video)". When I play it using Kodi (or any other android video player) I can see only "Application". Maybe there are some profiles that application must set (sorry, I've been out of Android development for a very long time) so that AndroidTV handles it differently? Maybe a better performance comes with that as well?
Hi,
TV: Sony KD-55X8000C, Android version 5.1.1
AVreceiver: TXNR709 Onkyo

I tried the kodi-20151023-9a517d9-master-armeabi-v7a.apk (previous Kodi 15.2) and was able to watch the Big Bunny in X264 with perfect rendering (actually better than with the stock video player) but the X265 won't play at all (sound comes through though).

A few of questions:
1. Since I am in China the Google play store is not available although I am pretty sure I installed the correct one (Google Play Store for Android TV 5.5.15-leanback)
but could anyone confirm?
2. When I tried to install ES file explorer the TV says that it will cause issues with home screen, which version should I use? any issues?
3. It there a way to pass through HD audio? DD and DTS are fine but the HD versions are not going through, I don't mind downsampling to regular DD and DTS.
4. I tried to install some apps but some were stuck in the wrong orientation is there a way to do something?
5. How do I revert to the stable version of Kodi if need be? Should restart from a clean install?
6. VPN, is there a way to add one?

Kodi works great, really much better than on my Rpi1 (although I should update to the same version for a fair comparison) but I doubt that it can play 4k content.
All in all I bought the TV based on this thread and i can only thanks people for their efforts... and ask them how to use Key remap as I did not figure out how...

For users in China, these Sony TV are great, the built in streaming apps are just awesome at streaming HD content and they can even make Topway crappy SD look OK
(2015-10-26, 19:26)ryo_an Wrote: kodi is not in the android tv google play store, but you can sideload it through es file explorer by putting it into remote manager mode.
This would turn your bravia into a ftp server where you can drag and drop APKs with simplicity.

Ah nice will give a try .

(2015-10-26, 21:33)Hannes The Hun Wrote: strange, the Play Store still has Kodi listed and compatible with "No carrier Sony BRAVIA 4K 2015" (I love how my TV has no carrier....)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai....xbmc.kodi

also thanks for the hint with the ES file explorer, that sounds much easier as I use to - sideloading via terminal and adb....

Yer Hannes it still shows in the normal play store and it was in the TV store a week ago as i installed in on my previous TV i had exchanged
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV8