I think Rikomagic owners are beginning to feel abandoned
Just thought I would let the forum know that since V16 now has two MediaCodec hardware accelerations
(See Martijn's post number 38 above) I have found a marked improvement with both these disabled on my RK3288 box.
(2015-10-27, 14:23)JNRW Wrote: Just thought I would let the forum know that since V16 now has two MediaCodec hardware accelerations
(See Martijn's post number 38 above) I have found a marked improvement with both these disabled on my RK3288 box.

The whole point is too have Mediacodec Surface rendering enabled and not disabled and using software acceleration.
You definitely have to complain to your manufacturer for providing no firmware updates that already solved the problem on other RK3288 devices.
(2015-10-27, 14:48)mo123 Wrote:
(2015-10-27, 14:23)JNRW Wrote: Just thought I would let the forum know that since V16 now has two MediaCodec hardware accelerations

The whole point is too have Mediacodec Surface rendering enabled and not disabled and using software acceleration.
You definitely have to complain to your manufacturer for providing no firmware updates that already solved the problem on other RK3288 devices.

Thanks for your feedback. As always I appreciate anybody taking the trouble to help.

I shall definitely have another go at Geekbuying for better firmware.

In the meantime can you tell me if, by using just software acceleration, I am doing damage to my box?
(2015-10-27, 15:03)JNRW Wrote:
(2015-10-27, 14:48)mo123 Wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. As always I appreciate anybody taking the trouble to help.

In the meantime can you tell me if, by using just software acceleration, I am doing damage to my box?

You will use more CPU power which might reduce the lifetime of the CPU.
By using only the CPU for decoding, it will cause more heat which might be a problem if you don't have a heatsink.
But only playing 360p,480p,720p using the CPU is not a problem.
It happens with 1080p or 4K video playback.
Video will also not be as sharp and smooth as when using the VPU.
Geekbuying is only a reseller and not the manufacturer of your tv box.
They can push the manufacturer for a firmware update, but will only do it for their popular selling boxes.
That's why it's always better buying a brand name or box with a quality manufacturer behind it and not a no-name tv box with no support even if the price might be $10 cheaper.
You might find a firmware update for your box or a similar one on freaktab.
(2015-10-27, 15:26)mo123 Wrote:
(2015-10-27, 15:03)JNRW Wrote:
(2015-10-27, 14:48)mo123 Wrote: The whole point is too have Mediacodec Surface rendering enabled and not disabled and using software acceleration.

You will use more CPU power which might reduce the lifetime of the CPU.
By using only the CPU for decoding, it will cause more heat which might be a problem if you don't have a heatsink.
But only playing 360p,480p,720p using the CPU is not a problem.
It happens with 1080p or 4K video playback.
Video will also not be as sharp and smooth as when using the VPU.
Geekbuying is only a reseller and not the manufacturer of your tv box.
They can push the manufacturer for a firmware update, but will only do it for their popular selling boxes.
That's why it's always better buying a brand name or box with a quality manufacturer behind it and not a no-name tv box with no support even if the price might be $10 cheaper.
You might find a firmware update for your box or a similar one on freaktab.

Well, once again thank you for your response.

I went to Geekbuying because their website boasts of a certain (high) level of after sales service including updates.

My box never could play 1080 let alone 4K movies so I should be OK it would seem. I shall keep a check on overheating though.

More and more I am being drawn towards the Zotac ID91.
(2015-10-26, 15:33)JNRW Wrote:
(2015-10-26, 15:02)mo123 Wrote:
(2015-10-26, 14:43)JNRW Wrote: I tried the wasser-Kodi-15.2rc2.apk and whenever I tried anything it just exited Kodi and went back to the Android home screen.

Have gone back to v16 and sit here hoping someone can make my RK3288 box show videos better.

If you use the latest firmware for your RK3288 box after 20 September 2015, the Wasser Kodi/Rockchip Kodi won't exit and play videos fine.
Unfortunately people with no-name RK3288 tv boxes or manufacturers that abandoned their boxes will be left in the dark.
Eg. UGOOS UT3, Nagrace HPH NT-V6, Beelink R29 devices can all work with the Wasser/Rockchip Kodi perfectly.

I bought my box from Geekbuying and they keep telling me I have the latest firmware. Within the Android settings it has a System Update facility, which goes through the procedure of updating and always comes back as no updates available. The relevant piece of information is Build Number: rk3288-eng 4.4.2 KOT 49H eng.zz 20150519.170016 test-keys.

I have no idea how to check whether this is the latest firmware nor, if it is not, where to go to find the firmware I need. And don't just say Freaktab because I find it very difficult to navigate around that forum, that's my problem I know, but there it is.

The back of the box says it is an OTT CS918ii. It has a frequent video and audio stutter lasting a second which occurs equally inside and outside of Kodi so is an Android firmware problem.

To be honest I am quite likely going to buy a Windows/Intel box, probably a Zotac, about which other people on this forum have had positive things to say.

My own Windows PC, which is over 5 years old runs V16 seamlessly, however, if I were able to get my box to run properly, without needing a degree in computer science to achieve this, then I would stick with it.

If it were me I'd try this firmware. Note you may lose BT and or WIFI. If you are comfortable following directions on how to flash your rom back to stock firmware if this one doesn't work for you then try it out. http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...eelink-r89
(2015-10-29, 06:33)amclean123 Wrote:
(2015-10-26, 15:33)JNRW Wrote:
(2015-10-26, 15:02)mo123 Wrote: If you use the latest firmware for your RK3288 box after 20 September 2015, the Wasser Kodi/Rockchip Kodi won't exit and play videos fine.
Unfortunately people with no-name RK3288 tv boxes or manufacturers that abandoned their boxes will be left in the dark.
Eg. UGOOS UT3, Nagrace HPH NT-V6, Beelink R29 devices can all work with the Wasser/Rockchip Kodi perfectly.

I bought my box from Geekbuying and they keep telling me I have the latest firmware. Within the Android settings it has a System Update facility, which goes through the procedure of updating and always comes back as no updates available. The relevant piece of information is Build Number: rk3288-eng 4.4.2 KOT 49H eng.zz 20150519.170016 test-keys.

I have no idea how to check whether this is the latest firmware nor, if it is not, where to go to find the firmware I need. And don't just say Freaktab because I find it very difficult to navigate around that forum, that's my problem I know, but there it is.

The back of the box says it is an OTT CS918ii. It has a frequent video and audio stutter lasting a second which occurs equally inside and outside of Kodi so is an Android firmware problem.

To be honest I am quite likely going to buy a Windows/Intel box, probably a Zotac, about which other people on this forum have had positive things to say.

My own Windows PC, which is over 5 years old runs V16 seamlessly, however, if I were able to get my box to run properly, without needing a degree in computer science to achieve this, then I would stick with it.

If it were me I'd try this firmware. Note you may lose BT and or WIFI. If you are comfortable following directions on how to flash your rom back to stock firmware if this one doesn't work for you then try it out. http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...eelink-r89

Many thanks for your response.

I shall look further into it and give it a go if I feel confident.

What I do not want to do is brick the device.
(2015-10-29, 14:45)JNRW Wrote:
(2015-10-29, 06:33)amclean123 Wrote:
(2015-10-26, 15:33)JNRW Wrote: I bought my box from Geekbuying and they keep telling me I have the latest firmware. Within the Android settings it has a System Update facility, which goes through the procedure of updating and always comes back as no updates available. The relevant piece of information is Build Number: rk3288-eng 4.4.2 KOT 49H eng.zz 20150519.170016 test-keys.

Many thanks for your response.

I shall look further into it and give it a go if I feel confident.

What I do not want to do is brick the device.

Open your device and see if the board looks similar to this board in the video and see it you can get it into MASK ROM state (per the video). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9lLJirKEIQ

If you can get it into MASK ROM state see if you can flash an official firmware from your vendor. That should work just fine. If that works then you should be able to try any of the Wasser roms. I made the video. let me know if you need help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I think Rikomagic owners are beginning to feel abandoned0