• 119(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
If the Nvidia Shield support 3D with the support of Kodi DEV,then i think the GAME IS OVER!!!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-12-16, 23:25)movie78 Wrote: @wrxtasy

Every point that you make is VALID....

What do you suggest we should do?.
My Open letter to the XBMC / Kodi Foundation:

Dear XBMC / Kodi Foundation,

This GPL2 violation and blatant Trademark infringement has gone on long enough now from the VidOn company. It was stated in the past that Team Kodi "encourages" companies to abide by the GPL2 licence under which XBMC / Kodi is distributed. VidOn in the past have been asked repeatedly over and over again, to publish their modified source code of the VidOn - XBMC version they sell. They still have not done so and it has been nearly a year since they were banned from renewing their Kodi Sponsorship over GPL2 infringements and posting on this very forum under Fake user names to hype their product and encourage sales, and at the end attempt to trash the XBMC / Kodi brand.

Which is the next important point. Why should Kodi sponsors continue to renew their Sponsorship, and support Open Source Software, and comply by GPL2 licence rules when a company such as VidOn are advertising VidOn XBMC as their own custom product ?
They way they advertise and market would fool consumers into believing they have an exclusive special deal with the XBMC / Kodi foundation.
This too has gone on for long enough, and the Diamond Sponsors of this very forum and the wider Kodi developer and user community deserve an explanation of the action that the XBMC / Kodi Foundation are taking in this matter.

VidOn are now distributing this GPL2 Violating version of VidOn - XBMC through products sold by Tronsmart such a the S95. I also ask what are the moderators of this forum going to do about these products when reviews and discussion of them are posted here on this very forum. Such discussions can actually encourage the sale of their GPL2 infringing products. Again is this fair on the Kodi forum Sponsors and the developer community ?

I see an actual GPL Violators list provided here on the Kodi forums. I ask why the VidON company are not on this list, when clearly they are definitely the most deserving first ever company that should be listed. This wall of shame list should also be published prominently on the Kodi Home page for everyone to see in plain sight. That is what I would call actual "encouragement" of GPL licence compliance.

http://kodi.tv/known-list-of-gpl-violators/

Thank You.

W.

Back to the forum discussion, after reading that....

Further consideration should be given to allow hdmv access to moderate this thread and remove all postings of products from known GPL2 violators / XBMC Trademark infringers. Why should further promotion of their Companies products take place ?

Man, I'll hand it to you on this... you're passionate about GPL. Hopefully, we can keep all GPL discussion, and er, debates, in that dedicated thread you started Wink.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Yes that was the plan, I've done enough pollution of this thread here over this VidOn matter all ready.

I still think you should be given the responsibility and control to moderate this thread for Hardware and associated GPL Software compliance. For the betterment of the Open Source Community and Kodi itself.

(2015-12-16, 21:25)opeters Wrote: Build 14.2.6 Nov 26 2015 10:34:54
Blurylib 1.0.3.0
DVDLib 1.0.0.7
VDMPlayer 2.0.1.5-2015.7.6-fcabe0e
Doesn't the TV only auto switch if resolution is correct like 1920 x 2205 ?!
That is the same version that I have. TV switches 3D modes based on the AVI Infoframe data.
(2015-12-16, 20:01)halfelite Wrote:
(2015-12-16, 19:05)wrxtasy Wrote: If you actually cared you would stop discussing this GPL infringing product on a Kodi forum, one that comes with software that also infringes XBMC Trademarks as well. Take your discussion over to Freaktab because you are just indirectly promoting a product from a Hated company here on this forum.

Actually its only seems like you hate the company and the product. Any time any of the products are mentioned you are the one and only person to jump down someones throat about it.
I for one am in full agreement with wrxtasy, and what more I think you are in the wrong if you disagree.

Do you not think that simply wrong for you or anyone else here on the official Kodi community forum to be promoting or posting your approvals and blessings of products that violate Kodi open source licenses and the XBMC Foundation trademarks/copyrights?

These companies are essentially stealing Kodi's code and branding without consent, making money of it, and are then not contributing anything back to Kodi upstream, not even their modified code which should legally be "free" to all and everyone (as long as they abide by the original GPL license).

Think of it as some company creating a counterfeit replica of a Rolex watch and then have their customers posting promotions or approvals and blessings of that replica Rolex watch on the official Rolex forums/websites or other official Rolex channels. Are you saying that Rolex should then not take action? And you can in this theoretical scenario above replace Rolex with any brand, be it Ford, Nike, or Apple. Do you think that any of them would or should accept that people promote or bless counterfeit replicas in any official channels?

If you think not then why should Kodi/XBMC be any different? The only difference is that Kodi/XBMC actually let others use all the core of their source code for "free" just as long as the companies that use the code also provide the source code of any modifications they make or do not use their branding to promote their products unless they been the expressed permission from the XBMC Foundation.

This it really not asking a lot from the community. And if you disagree then maybe you should not belong to the Kodi community because you are then certainly not contributing in any beneficial or positive way here, but rather the opposite, and if you still feel you have to promote counterfeit replicas then please go do those on unofficial channels instead so we do not have to read about it here.

At the very least, promoting such products in an official channel should be seen as trolling, as you are causing a disturbance to the Kodi community and its developers when people are using these instead of the official upstream, and you discourage development of upstream Kodi because why develop something when there is already an alternative available.

Call this just a rant if you may but it is the truth. Those companies who do not contribute code back are not only stealing but they are also hurting Kodi and this community, which is bad for all users of Kodi. Promoting code and brand stealers are bad, mmmkey.
Agreed 100% and a nicely worded and considered article from someone who actually looks at the bigger Open Source Software Kodi picture as opposed to the narrow view some people hold.

I'm strongly of the view that a lot of uneducated users think that Kodi just magically appeared, when the complete opposite is true. Thousand of Volunteers coders , testers and users have contributed to the this Open Source project for free in their spare time. Company employed coders have also contributed. Its been a labour of love and passion for the really skilled developers. To see that code blatantly abused with GPL2 violations from a company like VidOn, makes me both angry and sad.

So I ask are we just a bunch of greedy individuals taking whatever we can grab for free and supporting devices sold by Parasitic companies for profit at others expense, of do we all want to be part of a Kodi community and fight for what is right ?

EDIT Can I ask the Mods to cut the last two posts from here and place in my Open Letter thread please ?

(2015-12-17, 00:03)movie78 Wrote: If the Nvidia Shield support 3D with the support of Kodi DEV,then i think the GAME IS OVER!!!

I think the same as you!

nvidia shield +ISO 3D is the perfect player!
(2015-12-16, 19:05)wrxtasy Wrote: If you actually cared you would stop discussing this GPL infringing product on a Kodi forum, one that comes with software that also infringes XBMC Trademarks as well. Take your discussion over to Freaktab because you are just indirectly promoting a product from a Hated company here on this forum.

Actually its only seems like you hate the company and the product. Any time any of the products are mentioned you are the one and only person to jump down someones throat about it.

No - there are lots of us here who strongly dislike companies that modify open source GPL-licensed code, and then violate the terms under which the code has been released.

It's very simple. You want to sell a product with Kodi in it, and/or use the Kodi brand, then if that product contains a modified version of Kodi, you have to release the source code for the modifications. End of discussion. If you don't - you're in violation of the terms under which Kodi's source code is released.

Kodi only exists because of the work (usually for no payment) of Kodi's developers, and the developers in the wider open source community (who are working on stuff like ffmpeg etc.). The developers don't restrict a company from releasing a commercial product based on their work for profit, but in return for using their hard work for no payment, they ask for their work to be respected, and any modifications to be released back to the community. If a company can't comply with this, it can't legally release their commercial product.

At the end of the day, having such source code modifications released makes the life of customers a whole lot better, as even if the original company stops supporting their product, because the code is out in the open, it can be incorporated into new releases, bugs can be fixed by the open source community (not just the original manufacturers), additional features can be added, the techniques used can potentially applied to newer boxes etc.

If you decide to buy a product from a GPL violator, don't expect any support or sympathy here if it doesn't do exactly what you want, or if you want to run newer code.
(2015-12-17, 11:13)setumismo Wrote:
(2015-12-17, 00:03)movie78 Wrote: If the Nvidia Shield support 3D with the support of Kodi DEV,then i think the GAME IS OVER!!!

I think the same as you!

Dont think that will happen
(2015-12-17, 11:13)setumismo Wrote: I think the same as you!

***With frame packed 3D output.***
It may happen... like I said, it's probably the most requested functionality in the GEforce Shield TV forum.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-12-17, 09:29)RockerC Wrote:

I for one am in full agreement with wrxtasy, and what more I think you are in the wrong if you disagree.

Do you not think that simply wrong for you or anyone else here on the official Kodi community forum to be promoting or posting your approvals and blessings of products that violate Kodi open source licenses and the XBMC Foundation trademarks/copyrights?

These companies are essentially stealing Kodi's code and branding without consent, making money of it, and are then not contributing anything back to Kodi upstream, not even their modified code which should legally be "free" to all and everyone (as long as they abide by the original GPL license).

Think of it as some company creating a counterfeit replica of a Rolex watch and then have their customers posting promotions or approvals and blessings of that replica Rolex watch on the official Rolex forums/websites or other official Rolex channels. Are you saying that Rolex should then not take action? And you can in this theoretical scenario above replace Rolex with any brand, be it Ford, Nike, or Apple. Do you think that any of them would or should accept that people promote or bless counterfeit replicas in any official channels?

If you think not then why should Kodi/XBMC be any different? The only difference is that Kodi/XBMC actually let others use all the core of their source code for "free" just as long as the companies that use the code also provide the source code of any modifications they make or do not use their branding to promote their products unless they been the expressed permission from the XBMC Foundation.

This it really not asking a lot from the community. And if you disagree then maybe you should not belong to the Kodi community because you are then certainly not contributing in any beneficial or positive way here, but rather the opposite, and if you still feel you have to promote counterfeit replicas then please go do those on unofficial channels instead so we do not have to read about it here.

At the very least, promoting such products in an official channel should be seen as trolling, as you are causing a disturbance to the Kodi community and its developers when people are using these instead of the official upstream, and you discourage development of upstream Kodi because why develop something when there is already an alternative available.

Call this just a rant if you may but it is the truth. Those companies who do not contribute code back are not only stealing but they are also hurting Kodi and this community, which is bad for all users of Kodi. Promoting code and brand stealers are bad, mmmkey.

That just hit the point!!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
(2015-12-16, 23:58)hdmkv Wrote: 3D gets repeatedly requested here, but nVidia has been mum, not just on this lately, but whatever the next update(s) will bring.

I think if one the Kodi Dev request that will have more weight than us regular user request,Nvidia are sponsors of the Kodi forum now,so a Kodi Dev can use their connect to request this feature.

Just my 2 cents...
I don't want to step on any toes here - but haven't this O-T discussion gone on long enough, within the confines of this particular thread? Finding actual thread-relevant updates has almost evolved to a needle-in-a-haystack affair the last 10-15 pages. I really do understand the grievance and frustration and fully support it, but at the current "level" it doesn't really belong here in this thread.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
  • 119(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17