• 13(current)
Input
Yes, +1 for #3

Keep it simple and usable ;-)
+1 for #3 no excessive information and does the job well. Great to see this input stuff almost done! Keep up the good work
+1 for you has well Wink

K.I.S.S.
However, we might need to change the last S from stupid to smart-guy in this particular case
+1 for a mix between #3 and #4
If Kodi waits for a button, then highlight it somehow (darken others or fill it with a color like in #4) and if the user presses the button, then Kodi should make the button look "pressed".
That you can use in a "test"-mode also, where the user can press all the buttons and Kodi displays which button it is on the original controller.
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
I have one minor question regarding the input mapping of the controllers. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the digital/analog sticks? They are way too sensitive for my taste and it would be godsent to be able to adjust these to my liking.

Regarding the highlighting of the mapped button: as told - I am the minimal, clean UI kind of guy, for my taste it would be sufficient to blur/darken the area around the mapped button
(2015-12-18, 20:51)Solo0815 Wrote: +1 for a mix between #3 and #4
If Kodi waits for a button, then highlight it somehow (darken others or fill it with a color like in #4) and if the user presses the button, then Kodi should make the button look "pressed".
That you can use in a "test"-mode also, where the user can press all the buttons and Kodi displays which button it is on the original controller.

Agree with this idea. Smile
(2015-12-18, 20:51)Solo0815 Wrote: If Kodi waits for a button, then highlight it somehow (darken others or fill it with a color like in #4) and if the user presses the button, then Kodi should make the button look "pressed".

I like this. I can think of two approaches.
  • Naive approach - one .png for each button, where only the button is visible and everything else is transparent. Activated buttons are just rendered on top of the controller.
  • Efficient approach - one .png of all activated buttons, stored with geometry information like this. When buttons are activated, only their portion of the image is rendered.

95% transparent .pngs can probably be tightly compressed, but this will be a big strain when textures are generated in memory.

Geometry information is a pain to extract (using Gimp or Photoshop), and if the image is changed it'll have to be re-extracted.

Any other ideas?
RetroPlayer releases: https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/releases

Donations: eigendude.eth
(2015-12-19, 20:07)sectune Wrote: I have one minor question regarding the input mapping of the controllers. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the digital/analog sticks? They are way too sensitive for my taste and it would be godsent to be able to adjust these to my liking.

Regarding the highlighting of the mapped button: as told - I am the minimal, clean UI kind of guy, for my taste it would be sufficient to blur/darken the area around the mapped button

Do you mean deadzone? This has been moved to the joystick library's add-on settings. It's kinda hard to find. What other sensitivity settings should there be?

@garbear: Nice work so far! I've uploaded 2 buttonmaps for linux here: https://github.com/kodi-game/peripheral....ck/pull/12

Does the new input framework also support mouse input? Would be a great addition for the dosbox or scummvm core.
It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy playing some old strategy games or point and click adventures with a wireless mouse in front of the big TV screen.
(2015-12-21, 09:29)cfetzer Wrote: @garbear: Nice work so far! I've uploaded 2 buttonmaps for linux here: https://github.com/kodi-game/peripheral....ck/pull/12

Does the new input framework also support mouse input? Would be a great addition for the dosbox or scummvm core.
It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy playing some old strategy games or point and click adventures with a wireless mouse in front of the big TV screen.

thanks for the buttonmaps!

No mouse support yet. This is definitely on the list of things to do. What are some of your favorite games that use a mouse? I'll need some titles to test with Smile

(2015-12-21, 10:29)garbear Wrote: No mouse support yet. This is definitely on the list of things to do. What are some of your favorite games that use a mouse? I'll need some titles to test with Smile

Day of the tentacle via scummvm is the way to go Smile!

garbear Wrote:Do you mean deadzone? This has been moved to the joystick library's add-on settings.

I have no possibility to test it yet, thank you for your prompt reply! Just to clarify my trouble a bit more: what I am currently having trouble with, in some games, like f.e. arkanoid based games (destroy bricks by rebouncing a ball with a paddle) - if I press f.e. left to move the paddle, then I really have to press it for a very brief moment, otherwise the paddle goes way too far to the left. I hope you can imagine my frustration now - for now I give the fault of me losing the game fully to this sensitivity issue Big Grin

When I am home on the next weekend - is the dead zone setting the one I am searching for? If not and it is somehow still on the to-do list, I am not mad, as for now I can give the fault to my shitty retro gaming skills fully to the input api, if adjusting the deadzone is the magic setting I am searching for I would have no one else to blame but me :-PP

P.S: is the deadzone setting also stored in the keymaps?
(2015-12-21, 10:29)garbear Wrote: No mouse support yet. This is definitely on the list of things to do. What are some of your favorite games that use a mouse? I'll need some titles to test with Smile

Nice Smile
Hm. For dosbox maybe Cannon Fodder, Dune 2, Lemmings, Settlers 2, Z.
For scummvm: Day of the tentacle definitively or any of the other LucasArts adventures like Monkey Island or Indiana Jones. Also Discworld or Simon the Sorcerer are nice.
Monkey Island for scumm
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
Cool stuff! Big Grin
I created a pull request for 2 windows buttonmaps. (https://github.com/kodi-game/peripheral....ck/pull/15)
- Wired Xbox 360 controller
- PS Dualshock knockoff

I also got a usb to ps1 adapter, i wonder how this device will be named/recognised.
I will try to test it next weekend.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Input3