• 30(current)
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement
No,that is not the question I was asking,if the vendor had publishing his address could the Kodi Foundation contact him and issue a Cease and desist,
The OP in the matter has contacted me and has cancelled the order,a small result.
Kodibuntu,Kodi launchers. TeamKodi according to their own wiki has done a lot to make themselves bundle friendly. Kodi chose themselves to move from pc/Linux and set up an android format as a standalone on tablets and phones as well as the dreaded Smart Tv's and TV boxes.

I understand the concerns however Wetek, Bytemark, Nvidia, and Minix are all Sponsors of Kodi

This is from Team Kodi's own website

Kodi® is free and open-source software, meaning that it is generally acceptable for any company to use and distribute it as long as our license is respected. We as XBMC Foundation do not charge any licensing fees for the usage of our product. A small selection of the possibilities that make our product great are highlighted on our about page.

The source code that makes Kodi is open for any user or company interested and can be found at https://github.com/xbmc . We encourage non team members to contribute to our code to improve general stability and expand and improve the overall usability.

However, in order to foster a healthy relationship with the Kodi team, we ask that interested parties open a line of communication with us first. This is only a courtesy of course, but we appreciate knowing where our project is used. We may even be able to help you with your plan!
Examples are using the vanilla version, a slightly customised version, expand possible hardware support or add certain features.

If you would like to discuss your project in more depth, please contact us and describe the project and its scope as much as possible. We are always happy to work with companies who wish to include us in their projects.

Contact us at interest (at) kodi dot tv

Sponsorship

Sponsorship can come in many forms.
- Promoting the usage our product by displaying it at conventions
- Providing needed hardware to develop on, expand current possibilities or support new platforms.
- Donating a certain amount of funds to help maintain our current goals.

We also provide the option for companies to become official sponsors (see the sponsors banner on our front page). In addition to the satisfaction of helping the open-source community, sponsors are entitled to some special perks as well. We strongly encourage anyone using Kodi as part of their business model to sponsor us in some way, though you are welcome to keep the details private if you wish.

Please understand that we cannot give legal advice regarding your possible implementation of our software. Multimedia licensing/copyrights/patents are very tricky, please contact a software attorney for help with these questions.

If you would like to discuss these aspects in more depth, please contact us so we can possibly work out any possible details.

Curently in the Kodi package you have the Playon Browser, Popcornflix, MeTV,Jupiter Broadcasting, Snagfilms, Crackler, Sundance TV,Syfy, USTVnow

all these are available on android without Kodi. either by app or mobile website.

As are the third party programs which is comprised of torrent and website that have also starting to see android apps.

but those guys building those chines box with open source kodi and using their logo isn't too far different from Kodi advertising a repository that quite a few add ons are no longer supported and don't work. cept with Kodi fortunately you didn't pay anything unless you donated.

I don't blame the team members defecting to write lua scripts

Its just funny to watch the Team Kodi blame the e bay boxes, those vaunted youtubers ,users and 3rd party addon writers for whatever is ailing them, when they are the ones that invited all those folks in to begin with.
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

@tornicade

I honestly cannot understand most of your post. I don't mean that disrespectfully, but most of your sentences and thoughts are disjointed and it's hard to tell what point you are trying to make. I'm going to take my best guess and try to address some of the points you made.

You don't seem to understand that Kodi project sponsors are not given any extra privileges regarding the Kodi trademark. There are several companies that have never given any money, that do use Kodi in their advertising materials. This is allowed and yes, encouraged.

You also don't seem to understand the difference between someone showing off Kodi using legal examples (which is an action that does not hurt the Kodi project) vs showing off Kodi using illegal examples. I'm sure Toyota would love to see their trucks in blockbuster movies, but would hate to see them used for ISIS recruitment videos (which is a real example, by the way. Google it, it's kind of funny).

The other thing you seem to be saying is, you think Team Kodi is blaming people who "invited all those folks to begin with"? The add-on authors that made the other examples you pointed out are not the same people that are being "blamed". Team Kodi isn't even blaming the add-on authors that make the pirate streaming add-ons. The people being "blamed" have never contributed anything of value to the Kodi/XBMC project. The ones being "blamed" are newcomers (in relation to the over 10 years that the project has existed) who are just out to further their own agendas, using low hanging fruit to get subscribers/customers/whatever.

You seem to be confused about what the issue is and who Team Kodi is angry at. This thread contains a lot of good information and further explanation. You might want to look at some of the other posts.
Do you see any of the boxes that you mentioned being sold on eBay with pre-loaded piracy add-ons?
Edit;
That was painfully long and fragmented
cd2022
If that question was to me,the answer is yes.
(2016-03-10, 06:50)cd2022 Wrote: Do you see any of the boxes that you mentioned being sold on eBay with pre-loaded piracy add-ons?
1. Go to ebay
2. Type "fully loaded Kodi" in search bar.
3. Look.
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
(2016-03-10, 06:50)cd2022 Wrote: Do you see any of the boxes that you mentioned being sold on eBay with pre-loaded piracy add-ons?

I think the point from cd2022 was "do you see (Wetek, Bytemark, Nvidia, and Minix) offering their boxes on eBay with pre-loaded piracy addons?". If these boxes are out there, it's not the OEMs who are pushing them - if they are, then I suspect Team Kodi would have a very blunt message for them.
(2016-03-10, 21:06)Prof Yaffle Wrote:

I think the point from cd2022 was "do you see (Wetek, Bytemark, Nvidia, and Minix) offering their boxes on eBay with pre-loaded piracy addons?". If these boxes are out there, it's not the OEMs who are pushing them - if they are, then I suspect Team Kodi would have a very blunt message for them.

Agree!Nod
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
is this a violator ?
http://tvkodibox.com/
https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/kodi-xbmc-and-shield (they are using the logo)
http://wetek.com/ - kodi logo and free tv

heres a list from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&r...kodi%20box
so those using the Kodi logo here is Kudotv, QacQoc, Mifanstech, RQN, Tonbux, Sunny. XBMCmart, Bros, Unite, Least, Juning, amtv, Generic.
All seem to be doing what Teamkodi doesn't want them to do , While Asus and Matricom take a different approach.
If you goto Kodi website they have a list of vendors advertising their product without OPenGL support (list is empty.)
What about a compatible list or list that tells us suspect boxes.

I am saying that when a Company tells Kodi they don't want to work them because of a stigma they helped perpetuate and didn't take any action to stop when they rebranded. Now they come out and say hey community help us stop the ebay(amazon) pirates and we will start taking them down.

Why not start taking them down and then ask the community for help. Also addng an app launcher for android doesn't fix broken product in the official repository. how about taking those down when you complain about others installing broken (junk) software.

Anyone with android 4.2. a Neon compatible arm processor open GL 2.0 (preferred and 720P or higher resolution should expect support by Kodi's own standards.

Kodi themselves on their own hardware requirements page state manufacturers have to include specific code to run so if they do install code specific to Kodi. why wouldn't they advertise it. and why isn't Kodi supporting 2.65 which New boxes are employing and should address some major Playback issues that offset the weak processor.

Instead of guessing that a box has junk firmware. why not have a coding and firmware instructions test script that tell the developers and the users exactly how compatible a box is actually to Kodi.

It seems to me Kodi can take a lot more actions towards their current perception predicament in conjuction with an anti piracy compaign than what they are taking.

or maybe they are collecting as much information as possible to merit a press release.
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

is this the same dude talking nonsense earlier in the thread?
@tornicade - we all appreciate that English may not be your first, or even your second or subsequent - language, but it's really hard to understand the point you're making. You seem to be throwing in comments about trademark use, trademark violation, OpenGL support, Team Kodi's (perhaps, retrospectively, unwise) decision to make a standalone Android app, Android firmware, streaming apps available on Android (legitimate and otherwise), plus a few others. It feels like an explosion in a grocery aisle, hoping to make a full five-course meal out of the results.

Please, separate out your points, and then maybe folks can debate them.

Re: Nvidia/Wetek - they're not violating anything if they're using 'vanilla' Kodi. Anyone who is modifying it (so installing addons from other sources, for example) but still calling it 'Kodi' is guilty of technical infringement. Now, whether the Foundation wants to pursue that or not is a different matter - it all boils down to whether they think it's damaging to the brand, I suspect.

Re: community, yes, there was a conversation about that - how best to enlist more help, accepting that trademark infringement notices really have to come from the Foundation or an authorised agent thereof. Rebranding gave trademark control, but enforcement is different (just as there's nothing stopping me from opening a restaurant called Kentucky Flayed Chicken - until someone forces me to stop).

Re: OpenGL and versions... I think your point is that different Android boxes support Kodi to different extents, and some kind of "compatibility wizard" or similar would be useful. I guess the reference point would be the Windows Upgrade Advisor, although I believe that concludes that Win10 runs on anything younger than a valve with more than 640K of real memory.

Overall, is your point that Team Kodi could be doing a better job of sayign which boxes are good, rather than just saying that "some boxes are bad"?

EDIT

Ably demonstrating that English isn't technically my first language either....
This is a repost from the Hardware section as its seems appropriate here as well...

I don't know where else to post this but when will Zidoo ever learn. Seriously do they care about Kodi all !

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/06/z...ox-review/

Quote:Zidoo has their own port of Kodi which they call ZDMC, which would be the right thing to do to respect Kodi’s trademark, however the device’s package still feature Kodi, and the app itself is called Kodi, and the company gave it the name Kodi 15.3

This will now turn into a Kodi Trademark problem. As I've said before don't trust this company.

Wow, from a comment on that site: "While I was talking to one of Chinese engineers and asked why they are pushing their own Kodi on their devices which cannot be upgraded later via Play Store I was told that official Kodi does not support some keys on IR remote. And it’s easier to change keyboard xml firmware and rebuild kodi than investigating how to fix it on firmware level."

Seems fair, can't think of any possible way to add new remote keys to KODI, if only such a feature existed!
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call to Arms: Combatting Trademark Infringement23