• 430(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-04-18, 16:47)afdarcy Wrote: I'm trying to use the EZ setup script to dual-boot an Asus CN60 with ChromeOS + OpenElec. The script has created a partition and the Chromebox has "repaired" itself. I downloaded and re- ran the script to install OpenElec but am getting the following error when it tries to download OE:

whoops, should have better tested before pushing live; should be fixed now
Hi,

I have Asrock BeeBox N3000 braswell, and i use with Openelec Matt EGL version 6.0.398 I have VDPAU turned off, and enable VAAPI, frame rate to movie, and passtrough.
When i watching high bitrate movie with VC1 coded, i see 4-5 times at fast scene moving blocking for a small time (1-2 frame) It hard to see, and fast gone.
What make i wrong, and how can i eliminate this? With raspberry pi i dont see this problem.
The sample movie has this details:
RUNTiME.......: 01:50:21 [h:mConfused]
SiZE..........: 25,5 Gb
ViDEO CODEC...: VC-1 Advanced Profile 3
FRAMERATE.....: 23.976 fps
BiTRATE.......: 28.5 Mbps
RESOLUTiON....: 1920 x 1080
AUDiO.........: English DTS-HD MA 5.1 @ 3 679 Kbps | Hungarian DTS 5.1 @ 768 Kbps
English AC3 2.0 @ 192 Kbps (Commentary by Director Peter Berg)
SUBTiTLES.....: Hungarian Full & Forced | English SDH
SOURCE........: BD50 - FraMeSToR | TRiNiTY
(2016-04-18, 21:42)envagyok Wrote: Hi,

I have Asrock BeeBox N3000 braswell, and i use with Openelec Matt EGL version 6.0.398 I have VDPAU turned off, and enable VAAPI, frame rate to movie, and passtrough.
When i watching high bitrate movie with VC1 coded, i see 4-5 times at fast scene moving blocking for a small time (1-2 frame) It hard to see, and fast gone.
What make i wrong, and how can i eliminate this? With raspberry pi i dont see this problem.

support for EGL builds is in fritsch's VAAPI/EGL thread in the Linux support forum, but he's left Kodi 15.2 behind and is only looking for issues with Kodi 17. Your best bet is to use one of those builds and report the problem if it still exists there. Unfortunately there's nothing to be done for issues with these older builds. Also, I don't have a Braswell system to test with so hard to say if the issue is specific to it or one that affects all Intel platforms. VC-1 is known to have some issues though.
(2016-04-18, 17:33)Matt Devo Wrote: whoops, should have better tested before pushing live; should be fixed now

No worries. Smile That's working now, thanks for fixing it.

Cheers,

Adam
(2016-04-17, 18:05)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-04-17, 13:54)piotrasd Wrote: where i can find source ? to compile myself "OpenELEC 7.0 beta 2 (6.95.2 / Kodi 16.1 rc2)" Huh (your version which you using for EGL)
btw. im testing patch for audio issue over HDMI with Cherry Trail ...i will let know later if works

OpenELEC 6.95.2 (non-EGL): https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/tree/6.95.2
OpenELEC 6.0.398 (w/EGL): https://github.com/MattDevo/OpenELEC.tv/tree/6.0.398

thanks ... there is maybe some fork based on openelec 7.0 with kodi 16.x with EGL ??

BTW. i get working HDMI audio for Cherry Trail and Bay Trail Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin with kernel 4.5
(2016-04-19, 10:17)piotrasd Wrote: thanks ... there is maybe some fork based on openelec 7.0 with kodi 16.x with EGL ??
won't happen for various reasons (both technical and non)

Quote:BTW. i get working HDMI audio for Cherry Trail and Bay Trail Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin with kernel 4.5
great, got a patch link or PR? Hopefully it doesn't break other devices in the process Smile
I'm trying to install standalone openelec on my new ASUS M004U.

I removed write-protect screw.
Inserted paperclip
powered on
removed paperclip
screen shows "Chrome OS missing or damaged. Please insert USB stick or SD card.

I went to chromeos/recovery, made a usb recovery drive, installed the OS successfully. Connected to internet, used wireless keyboard, etc.
Did not sign onto Gmail account.

Powered off
Paperclip in
Power on
Paperclip out.

Same message that OS is missing or damaged.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just want to install stand alone OpenELEC and Kodi.

Thanks
(2016-04-19, 16:38)rvf263 Wrote: I'm trying to install standalone openelec on my new ASUS M004U.

I removed write-protect screw.
Inserted paperclip
powered on
removed paperclip
screen shows "Chrome OS missing or damaged. Please insert USB stick or SD card.

I went to chromeos/recovery, made a usb recovery drive, installed the OS successfully. Connected to internet, used wireless keyboard, etc.
<snip>
I just want to install stand alone OpenELEC and Kodi.

and there's where you went off track. On the recovery screen, you need to press CTRL-D, then press the recovery button again when prompted, in order to put the box into developer mode. You don't need to actually reset the box/do the recovery process. Once in developer mode, you can open the shell prompt, download/run the script, and flash the custom/standalone firmware and create the OpenELEC install media.
Thanks for the response.
If I understand you correctly, the error message "Damaged/missing OS" is the recovery screen and at that point I press CTL-D until I'm prompted to press the recovery button again with the clip?

So I powered off the unit and did this:

The unit is off,
I press the recovery button with a clip and hold it,
I power on the unit
I take out the clip
The error message damaged/missing OS appears
I press CTL-D on my wireless keyboard

nothing happens. It's not prompting me to do anything else.

Should I be using something other than my wireless keyboard? The keyboard works when the OS connects to my wi-fi...something tells me its not connected yet when I'm pressing CTL-D.
(2016-04-19, 19:46)rvf263 Wrote: I press CTL-D on my wireless keyboard

nothing happens. It's not prompting me to do anything else.

Should I be using something other than my wireless keyboard? The keyboard works when the OS connects to my wi-fi...something tells me its not connected yet when I'm pressing CTL-D.

yeah, sounds like your keyboard isn't working before the OS loads, so I'd try a different one. Plenty of wireless ones do work, just a few out of spec ones that don't
(2016-04-19, 19:48)Matt Devo Wrote: yeah, sounds like your keyboard isn't working before the OS loads, so I'd try a different one. Plenty of wireless ones do work, just a few out of spec ones that don't

I'm at work now, but could I use a direct connection USB keyboard?

I'm using a Logitech K400 right now, I would think that would work.

Is there a cheap keyboard that is known to work for sure?

I could pick it up from Staples after work in the morning.

Thanks for all the help.
Running the new script on libreelec I get: Failure reading current firmware; cannot proceed. (tried rebooting)

Using the Updating the coreboot Firmware (standalone) instructions.

I have done it before on libreelec so maybe it's the new script? Hard to troubleshoot - any way to get more debugging info?
(2016-04-20, 00:50)rvf263 Wrote:
(2016-04-19, 19:48)Matt Devo Wrote: yeah, sounds like your keyboard isn't working before the OS loads, so I'd try a different one. Plenty of wireless ones do work, just a few out of spec ones that don't

I'm at work now, but could I use a direct connection USB keyboard?

I'm using a Logitech K400 right now, I would think that would work.

Is there a cheap keyboard that is known to work for sure?

I could pick it up from Staples after work in the morning.

Thanks for all the help.
Nope the Logitech K400 can't be used to install, only after you are set up first. Use a wired USB kybd if you have one.
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
(2016-04-20, 00:53)jjslegacy Wrote: Running the new script on libreelec I get: Failure reading current firmware; cannot proceed. (tried rebooting)

I have done it before on libreelec so maybe it's the new script? Hard to troubleshoot - any way to get more debugging info?

I ran into this problem the other day. My version was very old (2014). In order to fix it, I edited the downloaded script and changed lines 54 and 56 from grep to grep -i to make the match case insensitive. I believe there was one other problem. One of of the supporting tools was looking for a directory that didn't exist on my openelec. I don't remember but it might have been /run/var or /run/tmp. I created that directory and the script worked. It wasn't able to read my current MAC address so I just let it use the default. Hope this helps.

Code:
curr_fw=$(echo `dmesg | grep -i -m1 "DMI: Google Panther" | awk '{print $NF}'` | awk -F'/' '{print $3$1$2}')
if [ "$curr_fw" == "" ]; then                                                                              
        curr_fw=$(echo `dmesg | grep -i -m1 "Panther, BIOS" | awk '{print $NF}'` | awk -F'/' '{print $3$1$2}')
(2016-04-20, 00:50)rvf263 Wrote: Is there a cheap keyboard that is known to work for sure?

ask and the Chromebox wiki page shall provide an answer: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211797

(2016-04-20, 00:53)jjslegacy Wrote: Running the new script on libreelec I get: Failure reading current firmware; cannot proceed. (tried rebooting)

the standalone firmware updater script hasn't changed, so that's not it. But at least tell me what version of LE you're running so I can try to reproduce here.

(2016-04-20, 01:40)averylinden Wrote: I ran into this problem the other day. My version was very old (2014). In order to fix it, I edited the downloaded script and changed lines 54 and 56 from grep to grep -i to make the match case insensitive. I believe there was one other problem. One of of the supporting tools was looking for a directory that didn't exist on my openelec. I don't remember but it might have been /run/var or /run/tmp. I created that directory and the script worked. It wasn't able to read my current MAC address so I just let it use the default. Hope this helps.

Code:
curr_fw=$(echo `dmesg | grep -i -m1 "DMI: Google Panther" | awk '{print $NF}'` | awk -F'/' '{print $3$1$2}')
if [ "$curr_fw" == "" ]; then                                                                              
        curr_fw=$(echo `dmesg | grep -i -m1 "Panther, BIOS" | awk '{print $NF}'` | awk -F'/' '{print $3$1$2}')

changing it to be case-insensitive is a good idea, I'll do that. The only dir used on non-ChromeOS linux is /tmp, which should exist on all systems, so not sure what that would have been about. Some of the early 2014 firmware versions didn't persist the device-specific MAC address, so will use a default one, which isn't an issue unless you have more than one on your LAN (and are using ethernet).
  • 430(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37