• 12(current)
Beta Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi
(2016-09-28, 06:20)braz Wrote: @Wintermute0110

Thanks for all the support and recent updates! One more for ya on Windows. Smile

I just noticed that lnk shortcuts that have a space in them will not launch. If no space, they work just fine. For example, I have a lnk named "Rise of the Tomb Raider.lnk." When I try to launch it I get an error that ".../Rise cannot be found" or something to that effect.

Installing the latest from github to test the new option to hide ROM marks, thanks!

Your are welcomed Smile

You using a standalone LNK launcher or a ROM LNK launcher?

Also, I'm thinking on adding a ROM LNK launcher on Windows where the step of selecting the (unused) application will be skipped. What do you think?
(2016-09-27, 19:13)nexusle Wrote: Did you write the scrapers by yourself? In that case, would it be possible to write a scraper of OAGD.net for amiga games?

Both TheGamesDB and MobyGames have very good coverage for Amiga. I'm afraid I'm not going to do an scraper just for a particular site just for a particular platform (with the exception of MAME).

EDIT: Forgot to say... the list of supported platforms in AEL is still small. Platforms are only meaningful for the scrapers and future skins that will use them. I will add Amiga and some other more platforms to AEL shortly.
(2016-09-28, 07:59)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2016-09-28, 06:20)braz Wrote: @Wintermute0110

Thanks for all the support and recent updates! One more for ya on Windows. Smile

I just noticed that lnk shortcuts that have a space in them will not launch. If no space, they work just fine. For example, I have a lnk named "Rise of the Tomb Raider.lnk." When I try to launch it I get an error that ".../Rise cannot be found" or something to that effect.

Installing the latest from github to test the new option to hide ROM marks, thanks!

Your are welcomed Smile

You using a standalone LNK launcher or a ROM LNK launcher?

Also, I'm thinking on adding a ROM LNK launcher on Windows where the step of selecting the (unused) application will be skipped. What do you think?

I'm using rom lnk launchers now. The link shows up correctly in my launchers.xml, but when I try to launch it, AEL seems to stop at the first space in the lnk file name.
(2016-09-28, 16:11)braz Wrote: I'm using rom lnk launchers now. The link shows up correctly in my launchers.xml, but when I try to launch it, AEL seems to stop at the first space in the lnk file name.

Please do a quick test. Check your launcher parameters and if it's:

PHP Code:
"%rom%" 

change it to

PHP Code:
%rom

And the other way around. I need to confirm it does not work in both cases.
(2016-09-28, 16:23)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2016-09-28, 16:11)braz Wrote: I'm using rom lnk launchers now. The link shows up correctly in my launchers.xml, but when I try to launch it, AEL seems to stop at the first space in the lnk file name.

PHP Code:
"%rom%" 

change it to

PHP Code:
%rom

Will test tonight when I get home!
Has anyone set this up with Retroarch? If so could you tell me how to do so as I'm at a loss :/
Asrock Rog Z390-H | Intel i9 9900K | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Pop!_OS 20.10 |Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019)
EVGA Hybrid FTW GTX 1070 | Corsair 16GB DDR4
Samsung 500GB SSD | 500GB Nvme SSD |500GB WD Black Nvme SSD |6TB HDD
(2016-09-28, 16:23)Wintermute0110 Wrote:

PHP Code:
"%rom%" 

change it to

PHP Code:
%rom

That fixed it! Without quotes it launches the game correctly. With quotes it stops reading the link at the first space.

Which means the lnk ROMs now work when run from the launcher...they still don't when run from favourites though. I'm guessing it will take an update to the script for the fav ROMs to work correctly?
(2016-09-29, 01:38)LupinSansei Wrote: Has anyone set this up with Retroarch? If so could you tell me how to do so as I'm at a loss :/

Set retroarch as tge launcher
In the parameters field put -L <Path to the core driver you want to use> %Rom%
(2016-09-29, 01:38)LupinSansei Wrote: Has anyone set this up with Retroarch? If so could you tell me how to do so as I'm at a loss :/

To complement foleyjo answer. I'm assuming you are using Linux/Kodibuntu, if not change .so by .dll.

As the launcher application select your retroarch executable. In my setup I keep it in /home/kodi/bin/retroarch. If you install Retroarch in a package typical location will be /usr/games/retroarch.

As the launcher parameters you put:

PHP Code:
-/path/to/libretro/core.so -"%rom%" 

Notice the quotes ", whitout those launcher will fail if your ROM name has spaces (for example, "Super Mario Worls (Europe).zip" will fail without the quotes). Let's suppose you want to set a Super Nintendo launcher and your libretro cores are in /home/kodi/bin/libretro, then your parameters will be:

PHP Code:
-/home/kodi/bin/libretro/bsnes_balanced_libretro.so -"%rom%" 

The Retropie Github Wiki contains A LOT of invaluable information to configure emulators and other stuff (like joysticks) in Linux. Also, you have a good list of the Retroarch cores you need depending on what you want to emulate. A more complete list is in the Libretro Wiki. Some of the cores require additional configuration and the placement of BIOS in the correct directory in order to work.

As a general advice, before using Advanced Emulator Launcher (and ANY other launcher plugin in Kodi) you should be familiar with the emulator you want to use, how to launch it from the command line, useful command line parameters (like setting fullscreen), have the joysticks or other devices configured on the emulator, etc. Once you are able to use the emulator from the command line then it's time to set your full eye candy launcher with AEL.
(2016-09-29, 04:33)braz Wrote: That fixed it! Without quotes it launches the game correctly. With quotes it stops reading the link at the first space.

Which means the lnk ROMs now work when run from the launcher...they still don't when run from favourites though. I'm guessing it will take an update to the script for the fav ROMs to work correctly?

Good to hear it worked!

Favourite ROMs and Collections ROMs are separated entities from the ROM in your launchers. Also, keep in mind that Favourite/Collection ROMs have additional/extra information taken from their launcher at Favourite creation about how to launch them. You can see this by using the ROM context menu "View ROM data" and the same in Favourites/Collections "View Favourite ROM data".

If you change something in your launchers that won't affect Favs/Collections. I did it in this way because you can even delete all your launchers and your Favourite/Collections will still work (if you didn't change your emulator EXE file and the ROMs location). As a side effect, if you change something in the launcher, the Favourite/Collection ROMs must be updated. Note that this also affects the virtual launchers (Browse by Title, etc.), but in this case it is very easy what to do: just regenerate the hashed databases and your are done.

Currently AEL supports "relinking" Favourite/Collections ROMs by looking at ALL launchers and searching for ROMs that match the whole filename or just the ROM name (basename). However, the relinking only updates the unique romID and launcherID so the [Fav] marks work again. I think it is necessary to add a context menu entry in Favourites/Collections like: "Copy launcher information from parent", "Copy metadata information from parent", "Copy artwork information from parent". What do you think? At this moment is it not clear to me how to do it in an elegant and clear way so any ideas will be welcomed.

With current AEL, the easy thing is to delete the favourites and recreate them again.

Topic is a bit complicated... I'm not sure if I explained myself well Smile Please reply if you have more questions.
(2016-09-29, 08:52)Wintermute0110 Wrote:

To complement foleyjo answer. I'm assuming you are using Linux/Kodibuntu, if not change .so by .dll.

As the launcher application select your retroarch executable. In my setup I keep it in /home/kodi/bin/retroarch. If you install Retroarch in a package typical location will be /usr/games/retroarch.

As the launcher parameters you put:

PHP Code:
-/path/to/libretro/core.so -"%rom%" 

Notice the quotes ", whitout those launcher will fail if your ROM name has spaces (for example, "Super Mario Worls (Europe).zip" will fail without the quotes). Let's suppose you want to set a Super Nintendo launcher and your libretro cores are in /home/kodi/bin/libretro, then your parameters will be:

PHP Code:
-/home/kodi/bin/libretro/bsnes_balanced_libretro.so -"%rom%" 

The Retropie Github Wiki contains A LOT of invaluable information to configure emulators and other stuff (like joysticks) in Linux. Also, you have a good list of the Retroarch cores you need depending on what you want to emulate. A more complete list is in the Libretro Wiki. Some of the cores require additional configuration and the placement of BIOS in the correct directory in order to work.

As a general advice, before using Advanced Emulator Launcher (and ANY other launcher plugin in Kodi) you should be familiar with the emulator you want to use, how to launch it from the command line, useful command line parameters (like setting fullscreen), have the joysticks or other devices configured on the emulator, etc. Once you are able to use the emulator from the command line then it's time to set your full eye candy launcher with AEL.
Thanks! I'm using Windows 10 sorry. I am pretty familiar with Retroarch just not it's commandline. I'm going to try this now and report back. Thanks for the links too!

And thanks foleyjo
Asrock Rog Z390-H | Intel i9 9900K | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Pop!_OS 20.10 |Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019)
EVGA Hybrid FTW GTX 1070 | Corsair 16GB DDR4
Samsung 500GB SSD | 500GB Nvme SSD |500GB WD Black Nvme SSD |6TB HDD
(2016-09-29, 09:01)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2016-09-29, 04:33)braz Wrote: That fixed it! Without quotes it launches the game correctly. With quotes it stops reading the link at the first space.

Good to hear it worked!

Favourite ROMs and Collections ROMs are separated entities from the ROM in your launchers. Also, keep in mind that Favourite/Collection ROMs have additional/extra information taken from their launcher at Favourite creation about how to launch them. You can see this by using the ROM context menu "View ROM data" and the same in Favourites/Collections "View Favourite ROM data".

If you change something in your launchers that won't affect Favs/Collections. I did it in this way because you can even delete all your launchers and your Favourite/Collections will still work (if you didn't change your emulator EXE file and the ROMs location). As a side effect, if you change something in the launcher, the Favourite/Collection ROMs must be updated. Note that this also affects the virtual launchers (Browse by Title, etc.), but in this case it is very easy what to do: just regenerate the hashed databases and your are done.

Currently AEL supports "relinking" Favourite/Collections ROMs by looking at ALL launchers and searching for ROMs that match the whole filename or just the ROM name (basename). However, the relinking only updates the unique romID and launcherID so the [Fav] marks work again. I think it is necessary to add a context menu entry in Favourites/Collections like: "Copy launcher information from parent", "Copy metadata information from parent", "Copy artwork information from parent". What do you think? At this moment is it not clear to me how to do it in an elegant and clear way so any ideas will be welcomed.

With current AEL, the easy thing is to delete the favourites and recreate them again.

Topic is a bit complicated... I'm not sure if I explained myself well Smile Please reply if you have more questions.

Thanks for the explanation, I can just recreate my favorites without much effort. Sounds easier than developing a context menu option just for this. Again, great work!
(2016-09-29, 23:37)braz Wrote: Thanks for the explanation, I can just recreate my favorites without much effort. Sounds easier than developing a context menu option just for this. Again, great work!

OK, sounds reasonable. Until 1.0.0 is released don't spend much time configuring stuff as the storage format may change to add new features and no migration will be provided. Once 1.0.0 is released, I will provide migration tools if ROM storage format changes.

Anyway, I will implement the feature of copying stuff from the parent into the Favourite/Collection. Things is that I like to do a lot of testing... like having several emulator launcher pointing to the same ROMs folder to test what emulator works best, etc. Then, I need to update my Favourite ROM emulator, for example, if I find that core X works better than core Y for a ROM I have in Favourites. As I said, still is not clear to me how to do it in an elegant way but I will think about something.

By the same token, ROM Collections can be exported and imported in another setup. In that case, importer user should be able to adjust the collections ROMs to his/her setup.
Was just wondering if it was possible, in windows, to launch straight into AEL when launching Kodi, I don't use any other add-ons on Kodi so thought it would be nice to be able to launch straight into the list of emulators.
(2016-10-03, 09:50)foleyjo Wrote: Was just wondering if it was possible, in windows, to launch straight into AEL when launching Kodi, I don't use any other add-ons on Kodi so thought it would be nice to be able to launch straight into the list of emulators.

That is something not related with AEL, but rather the skin you use. AEL-wise there is nothing I can do.

However... I know some skinners are currently developing something that may be close to what you want. Stay tuned... big things are coming in the following weeks Big Grin
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi12