• 21(current)
Android MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)
So to be clear: I can install KODI 18 on the U9-H using the LibreElec build and it will play UHD unmodified rips from a network drive? I think an ISO has to be mounted so KODI can do this from a network disk? Or should I just use the raw UHD bdmv folder?

Thanks,
/m
I use a minix u9h for my 4k and dolby atmos playback. Wrxtasy has a nice build of libreelec that works great on that box. It uses kodi 17.6.  You can find it on libreelec forums.

Kodi 17 will play your media file in UHD bdmv foler, you will just have to navigate to the main movie file. If you want to play an UHD iso file you will need kodi 18. My media files play from a network location. I have a server with my media files and use smb to access them.
I've tried libreelec build with kodi 18 but it wasn't as good as wrxtasy's build. His swtiches from 4k to 1080p depending on the files you play. Hopefully he'll make one with kodi 18 at some point.
(2018-05-21, 23:50)HyceL Wrote: I use a minix u9h for my 4k and dolby atmos playback. Wrxtasy has a nice build of libreelec that works great on that box. It uses kodi 17.6.  You can find it on libreelec forums.

Kodi 17 will play your media file in UHD bdmv foler, you will just have to navigate to the main movie file. If you want to play an UHD iso file you will need kodi 18. My media files play from a network location. I have a server with my media files and use smb to access them.
I've tried libreelec build with kodi 18 but it wasn't as good as wrxtasy's build. His swtiches from 4k to 1080p depending on the files you play. Hopefully he'll make one with kodi 18 at some point.
Thank you. But I keep getting slightly incomplete info. I hear that @wrxtasy build works well with 17.6 but then I also hear that for HDR support you need KODI 18. What I want is to play either a ripped UHD mkv or a bdmv folder and get full 4K HDR playback with Atmos passthrough. Trying to get a clear answer on if this is possible. Even if the answer on the U9 is 'yes', I have to assume this is HDR10 only? I've read that the U9 doesn't support Dolby Vision at all. So that would mean that even if I rip a DV UHD movie into a bdmv folder structure, AND use a compatible KODI build, I STILL can't get DV playback and the movie would just default to HDR10 on the U9 regardless. Is this correct?
You cannot get DolbyVision Bluray video playback on any external media player even if it supports DV in it's Tech specs. There is NO media player software on any hardware platform that can handle the Bluray dual layer DV metadata. You have to use an actual DV Bluray player.

I believe all you will end up with is 4K HDR10 when trying to playback 4K dual layer DV video sources.

v8.2.4.1 LE Kodi Krypton supports 4K HDR video playback of 4K HDR REMUX's stored in a .mkv container. OR you have to drill into the .ISO file and find the appropriate bdmv folder that contains the main movie file(s)

hey wrxtasy,

any plans on making a build based on kodi 18?
(2018-05-22, 03:56)HyceL Wrote: hey wrxtasy,

any plans on making a build based on kodi 18?
 +1 Thank you @wrxtasy That clarifies it for sure. I guess I can give up on DV for my UHD rips. But I don't want to give up on HDR altogether so I would need your LE KODI 18 build to at least have that capability. So until that arrives I will just have to sit on the sidelines of 4K HDR glory with the U9. Hopefully this will come soon. My new LG C8 is on its way and I really wanted to avoid buying a new UHD player so as to rip actual discs but serve from my NAS.
HDR works with current build from wrxtasy. With kodi 17.6
(2018-05-22, 04:47)HyceL Wrote: HDR works with current build from wrxtasy. With kodi 17.6
 Well that's great then. I stand corrected. I mistakenly read somewhere in these forums that HDR was only possible with KODI 18. All so confusing. So in summary, if I buy a U9 I will be able to:

- Stream my UHD HDR .mkv rips from my NAS to the U9 (GB home network)
- HDR will be HDR10 even if original UHD disc was encoded with DV
- HD object based audio formats like Atmos & DTS:X will be passed through to my AV receiver for decoding
- U9 + @wrxtasy build will handle all refresh rate switching between 4K and 1080p content along with colorspace switching

So the only thing I am giving up is the DV dynamic metadata. I say 'only' because I've been told that DV is 'better' than HDR10 but I have yet to experience either so can't say from personal experience.

Last question: I ask this knowing this is a KODI forum, but is there a UHD physical player that also includes ability to stream UHD rips from a NAS? This would seem to provide the missing DV capabilities since it would be using the actual UHD player hardware. I read that the Opposite-203 has this ability but they, sadly, are exiting the business so I worry about paying that much for hardware with no future firmware support. Any alternatives? Thank you!
Yes your summary is correct.

One Tip for everyone.
With AMLogic LE - users should be using the Kodi GUI at a 1080p 50 or 60Hz Screen resolution so a 4K TV's superior 1080p > 4K picture upscaling hardware produces higher quality upscaled picture outputs. 4K content will trigger an auto resolution switch to a 4K output screen resolution anyway when viewing actual 4K video content.

I believe you might be able to playback from NAS or local HDD connected storage DV video using media player software inbuilt into actual DV TV's.
Not to sure about that.

There is a bunch of detailed info regarding DolbyVision in this thread:

Does DolbyVision playback for movies work with Libre Elec on the Minix u9-h? (click)

So im looking at buying a Minix NEO U9-H instead of the intel NUC as the Minix supports 4k, HD Audio formats and HDR(not a dealbreaker)

1. I was not able to find a good link for which version of LE to use with the Minix U9-H?
  2. Ive read through the pages here in this thread and it seems some tweaking is needed to get HDR  to work otherwise most of the stuff works out of the box after installing LE?
  3. Installation needs to be on a SD CARD/USB?

Thanks for a fantastic forum, and the support/feedback you are providing @wrxtasy. Very appreciated!
Cheers Wink
Follow the links and instructions...

[8.2.4.1] LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - S912 devices (click)

i am a bit scared of this mainline Linux Kernel support for S912 devices adamg mentioned :-(  even it will just happen in two years.
"After Kodi 18 only devices that conform to mainline/v4l2 standards will be able to run Kodi, everything else will no longer work, this decision was made by Team Kodi and it was actually supposed to happen with Leia but they decided to delay it.Unfortunately the problem with S912 is that the proprietary GPU blobs needed have not been licensed from ARM and it is unlikely they will be as we have already been waiting over 2 years already.There will be no hacking to make it work because it simply won’t be possible once Team Kodi start the process of removing the current code we use.Only time will tell as it’s all conjecture at the present."
After reading many posts in this forum, in the libreelec forum, in the minix forum ... finally I paid attention to @ wrxtasy recomendation and I bought a refurbished Minix U9-H from Amazon. 
As I received it I installed its version of libreelec in the internal memory, completely deleting android  Devil

The first tests were very positive being able to play 4K HDR remux files from wifi through an FTP sharing. Cool
As I did the tests on a 1080p TV, I detected that the 4K videos played in 1080p there is no autoswitch of the refresh rate of the television. Do you think it is possible to adjust it? (video library is shared with my 4K and 1080 TV)
On the other hand, the bluray ISO files, in spite of choosing directly the main title, are not reproduced. Is there some workaround for its correct reproduction?

And finally a doubt. I use HDMI-CEC for navigation in Kodi. I have seen that if I turn off the TV, the minix is turned off but if I turn it on later, minix will not turn on and if turn on manually, there is a black screen. Is there any way to do it without using the minix command? or what is the correct way?

Thank you.
(2018-05-30, 15:10)wrxtasy Wrote: Cheers Wink
Follow the links and instructions...

[8.2.4.1] LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - S912 devices (click)
@wrxtasy are you using any LibreELEC / CoreELEC Leia version ?

If yes, can I know what version?

Thanks!
Image Image
I noticed some micro stuttering in some of the 4k movies I tried today with my new U9, slightly visible especially when the scene is panning.

Is there any settings im missing out on that I need to enable?
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)6