• 32(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
I wonder how games do it? Battlefield 5 switches my TV to HDR mode but I'm assuming this is a DirectX api call of some sort?
(2019-09-23, 18:04)allanp81 Wrote: I wonder how games do it? Battlefield 5 switches my TV to HDR mode but I'm assuming this is a DirectX api call of some sort?

i believe games like that use the nvidia and amd api calls to do so, thus why those api's probably exist to begin with.
Or they have agreements with some drm companies and are allowed to use windows private API that is not exposed to us users.
(2019-09-23, 14:27)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-23, 00:58)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-23, 00:37)grandmastashi Wrote: Thanks for the recommendation! 

Here's the link to my log file @fandangos Tap here

1. What windows are you using Windows 10 Pro
2. if you are using some fancy unecessary and expensive hdmi cable (the more expensive the cable more likely it won't work) No
3. if you are using some uncessary adapter like dp->hdmi->dvi->vga or some really weird situation like that --- just don't. No
4. if you are not using a HDR TV, please check that your TV does support HDR, not every 4k tv supports HDR in other words, if it's a Plasma or a CRT this would not work. LG 4k HDR
5. Report the video driver version. AMD Radeon RX Vega 11 19.9.2
6. Report the windows version. Windows 10 10.0.17763
7. Check if you have enabled high handwidth mode on the input you are using. Unsure on how to check this. 
8. Check if you hdmi splitter or adapter supports hdmi 2.0 with 18gbp/s. Direct cable from pc to tv

I need log level 2.

Create advanced settings xml file with this information:

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

How to do it here:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced

You will see a line like this "Report this to Fandangos" followed by a number.  

Apologies I just followed the instructions in your post on page 29. I'll redo the log again tonight. 
Thanks again @fandangos, here's the log file.

Tap Here
(2019-09-23, 23:15)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-23, 14:27)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-23, 00:58)fandangos Wrote: I need log level 2.

Create advanced settings xml file with this information:

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

How to do it here:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advanced

You will see a line like this "Report this to Fandangos" followed by a number.  

Apologies I just followed the instructions in your post on page 29. I'll redo the log again tonight. 

Tap Here

Disable fullscreen exclusive and set it to windowed fullscreen.
Set change refresh to always.
Set audio output to directsound instead of wasapi.
Disable sync playback to display.
(2019-09-24, 00:20)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-23, 23:15)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-23, 14:27)grandmastashi Wrote: Apologies I just followed the instructions in your post on page 29. I'll redo the log again tonight. 

Tap Here 

Disable fullscreen exclusive and set it to windowed fullscreen.
Set change refresh to always.
Set audio output to directsound instead of wasapi.
Disable sync playback to display. 

Thanks! Sorry stupid question but with these changes should I now be seeing accurate colours?
Yes you should.

The vendorID is correct on your end so the correct portion of the code is used.
@fandangos

How come you recommend Directsound over Wasapi? The latter would be preferred to bypass the Windows audio mixer and use passthrough to your AVR.

Just curious.
(2019-09-24, 01:15)fandangos Wrote: Yes you should.

Unfortunately not... they're still washed out. When I was making the changes to the settings you recommended I wondered if colour management needs to be setup in a particular way on my side? Am slightly clutching at straws for anything that I might be doing wrong. 

At this point I think i'm going to go ahead and buy a Nvidia GPU to access the fruits of you labour slightly more easily.
(2019-09-24, 01:51)grandmastashi Wrote:

Unfortunately not... they're still washed out. When I was making the changes to the settings you recommended I wondered if colour management needs to be setup in a particular way on my side? Am slightly clutching at straws for anything that I might be doing wrong. 

At this point I think i'm going to go ahead and buy a Nvidia GPU to access the fruits of you labour slightly more easily. 

First, before wasting any money, uninstall the currect kodi you have installed. 
When asked if you grant permission to delete the profile folder say yes. 
Install 2.7 or 2.7a and check it. 
Don't change any kind of settings and don't toggle windows OS. 
Simple, uninstall, delete everything, install and play a HDR movie. 

The 2.6 version doesn't work with Nvidia at all, you can give that one a try.
(2019-09-24, 01:33)Cinephile Wrote: @fandangos

How come you recommend Directsound over Wasapi? The latter would be preferred to bypass the Windows audio mixer and use passthrough to your AVR.

Just curious.

Just for compatibility sake to check if this might be the cause of the problem in his setup. 
Wasapi is recommended over direct sound in a working condition.
(2019-09-24, 02:23)fandangos Wrote:

You're very kind. I'll give it a go, i've done a couple of complete uninstalls already but will give this another go and report back later.
(2019-09-23, 16:50)fandangos Wrote: Clearing a few things:

Why no hdr passthrough on Leia?
Because hdr passthrough requires 4 different metadata: maxFALL, maxCLL, minimum mastered light and Max mastered light.
Those are stripped from video metadata by FFmpeg and exposed in a buffer named picture.

This isn't present on Leia so I can't pass this metadata to the driver and so no hdr pass through.

[cut]

In Linux and android you have people that actually understand what is going on and can freely work on different kernels.
As far as I know a single API is ready for Linux and now Nvidia AMD and Intel just have to adapt to it. Not the other way around like we are doing here.

I am sorry, I wrote Leia in my post but I really meant Matrix. Leia has come and gone, it's been released. My thought was that, having a working solution for both AMD and Nvidia it would be nice to see it implemented in the upcoming Matrix release. Kodi devs position always is "find a developer with working code and we will consider it". In this case we have a developer and we have working code, from what I understand (still no 4K HDR for me, unfortunately). This was my point. As others have mentioned, games are already taking this route. It's not ideal but it's working. I hope it can suffice to be considered for the official release, that's all. Smile

@fandangos would it be possible to have the HDR option for passthrough "greyed out" if no AMD or Nvidia compatible card is detected in the system? I suppose Kodi devs would require working code for cases where people don't have the necessary equipment. Otherwise it would be a nightmare to support people asking "why is HDR not working for me?" when they don't have the required hardware.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
The NVapi code does nothing in an environment that has no Nvidia gpu.
AMD AGS does nothing in a environment that has no AMD gpu.

I can create an if statement for Intel hardware so it still works just like regular Kodi.
The problem is, again, Kodi is based on free software and not private API's.
It's open source not closed source. It's aimed to work with everything and not having special use cases for special hardware's.

And you guys don't get it, I'm a freaking noob on coding.
When I hear afdechin, Madshi talking about how I should do stuff I just say.. yeah.. ok.. because I have no idea what they are talking about.

I'm able to ask question to Kodi devs and I feel completely stupid listening to their solutions to my problems.
It took me 2 hours to figure out how to put a number inside a log output fu ction the one in 2.7b.

My code is not worth the standard of team kodi. My code just works based on trial and error.

So give up on it being integrated into main Kodi.

Now there's a pull reauest for Android for libbluray 1.1.2!
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/16665/files

@Rechi is this android only? 
have you figured out the chapter bug?

@FernetMenta @Ace can you guys, please, approve this pull request?
(2019-09-24, 02:23)fandangos Wrote:

So just to update @fandangos I've done everything as detailed above (gone back to 2.6) and the colours remain exactly the same.
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition9