• 6(current)
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
Well I'm not a C++ dev at all, my only dev'ing is skin work on Estuary.
Yeah.. I'm really bad at it too and not having visual studios on linux really makes everything MUCH harder.
Ok, added @quietvoid  ffmpeg patches, compiled it all, build the apk, installed. 

It doesn't work but that's good because now we are in the same page. 

My take on this:
Kodi or FFMpeg needs to read the extra block. 
BLOCK_ADDITIONAL_ID_DVCC = 0x64766343

ExoPlayer uses this function to do it:

Code:

protected void handleBlockAddIDExtraData(
Track track, ExtractorInput input, int contentSize)
throws IOException {

if (track.blockAdditionalId == BLOCK_ADDITIONAL_ID_DVVC || track.blockAdditionalId == BLOCK_ADDITIONAL_ID_DVCC) {
track.doviDecoderConfigurationRecord = new byte[contentSize];
input.readFully(track.doviDecoderConfigurationRecord, 0, contentSize);
} else {
// Unhandled block additional data.
input.skipFully(contentSize);
}
}]

The problem is, I don't know how to write this out and to add salt to the injury I don't know how to write this in C++

But I would say that's the problem and since the heavy lift is done by the Shield/Android box you use I can't be that hard.
@quietvoid  where did you find the plex ffmpeg source code? 

Also does anyone know if it's possible to find the ffmpeg source code that Emby uses?

EDIT:
Following the same route as quietvoid, using plex ffmpeg diff. 
There were a few things missing from that commit by him/her which were added. 

This is as far as I could go with this:
https://github.com/fandangos/FFmpeg/comm...e/4.3-kodi
(2020-12-20, 01:44)fandangos Wrote: @quietvoid  where did you find the plex ffmpeg source code? 

Also does anyone know if it's possible to find the ffmpeg source code that Emby uses?

EDIT:
Following the same route as quietvoid, using plex ffmpeg diff. 
There were a few things missing from that commit by him/her which were added. 

This is as far as I could go with this:
https://github.com/fandangos/FFmpeg/comm...e/4.3-kodi

I believe the Plex ffmpeg source code is only available as a tarball from https://downloads.plex.tv/ffmpeg-source
Ok, have some bad news. 

I just replaced the entire kodi ffmpeg with plex ffmpeg. 
It doesn't work, HDR10 only for the moment.
(2020-12-20, 15:23)fandangos Wrote: Ok, have some bad news. 

I just replaced the entire kodi ffmpeg with plex ffmpeg. 
It doesn't work, HDR10 only for the moment.

Well that's probably to be expected as they use Exoplayer which has that "BLOCK_ADDITIONAL_ID_DVCC = 0x64766343" you pointed out is missing from the ffmpeg changes.
Ok, good news, managed to get it working. 

Only problem to solve, to change into DV from a mkv file only when this kind of file is playing. 
But success Smile))
(2020-12-20, 21:24)fandangos Wrote: Ok, good news, managed to get it working. 

Only problem to solve, to change into DV from a mkv file only when this kind of file is playing. 
But success Smile))

I've been following this thread for a while, and I'm very pleased(and impressed) by what you're saying. Any chance of a small howto? I know my way around compiling/building software, but I get lost in the Kodi source code.
BTW, I just did something similar for Jellyfin for Android TV, but that's exoplayer based, so it was (I imagine) a bit simpler.
(2020-12-20, 22:33)sk83 Wrote:

But success Smile))

I've been following this thread for a while, and I'm very pleased(and impressed) by what you're saying. Any chance of a small howto? I know my way around compiling/building software, but I get lost in the Kodi source code.
BTW, I just did something similar for Jellyfin for Android TV, but that's exoplayer based, so it was (I imagine) a bit simpler.

I'll post a apk soon for people to test. 

The heavy lifting was done by the Plex team and quietvoid pulling the diff so it was easier to read. 
Another problem was that the information from DVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec sent to the shield decoder was wrong, so even forcing DolbyVision it would not work. 
That's fixed now. 

The problem is that Dolby Vision is marked with MKBETAG('d','v','c','C') and MKBETAG('d','v','v','C'). Kodi uses MKTAG('d', 'v', 'h', 'e') MKTAG('d', 'v', 'h', '1') that is compatible with MP4 (that's why MP4 works).
But adding those new tags still doesn't set Dolby Vision correctly, so that's what I'm looking at now. 

For Android, you can only compile on linux but for development, nothing is better than Visual Studios. 
So I'm heading back to windows to use it and figure out a good if statement to put the correct decoder request and that should be it. 

FFmpeg changes and a few changes in DVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCoded and Dolby Vision from MKV is supported.
(2020-12-20, 22:43)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-12-20, 22:33)sk83 Wrote:

But success Smile))

The heavy lifting was done by the Plex team and quietvoid pulling the diff so it was easier to read. 
Another problem was that the information from DVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec sent to the shield decoder was wrong, so even forcing DolbyVision it would not work. 
That's fixed now. 

The problem is that Dolby Vision is marked with MKBETAG('d','v','c','C') and MKBETAG('d','v','v','C'). Kodi uses MKTAG('d', 'v', 'h', 'e') MKTAG('d', 'v', 'h', '1') that is compatible with MP4 (that's why MP4 works).
But adding those new tags still doesn't set Dolby Vision correctly, so that's what I'm looking at now. 

For Android, you can only compile on linux but for development, nothing is better than Visual Studios. 
So I'm heading back to windows to use it and figure out a good if statement to put the correct decoder request and that should be it. 

FFmpeg changes and a few changes in DVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCoded and Dolby Vision from MKV is supported.
Appreciate it. BTW, are you compiling Leia or Matrix?

But success Smile))

Yes!!! Fantastic news! Wink

Do you have a github repository?

Any chance that you bring that code to FFmpeg?

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2020-12-20, 23:37)sk83 Wrote:
(2020-12-20, 22:43)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-12-20, 22:33)sk83 Wrote: I've been following this thread for a while, and I'm very pleased(and impressed) by what you're saying. Any chance of a small howto? I know my way around compiling/building software, but I get lost in the Kodi source code.

That's fixed now. 

Appreciate it. BTW, are you compiling Leia or Matrix?

Matrix
(2020-12-20, 23:55)hoppel118 Wrote:

But success Smile))

Yes!!! Fantastic news! Wink

Do you have a github repository?

Any chance that you bring that code to FFmpeg?

Regards Hoppel
FFmpeg changes:
https://github.com/fandangos/FFmpeg/tree...e/4.3-kodi

Changes needed in Kodi, soon. Still work in progress.

EDIT: Oh, you mean like doing a Pull Request on their git? Ahm, no way, the source of this code is plex. 
It might get merged on kodi's ffmpeg fork but I'm not sure of anything.
(2020-12-20, 23:58)fandangos Wrote: FFmpeg changes:
https://github.com/fandangos/FFmpeg/tree...e/4.3-kodi

Changes needed in Kodi, soon. Still work in progress.

EDIT: Oh, you mean like doing a Pull Request on their git? Ahm, no way, the source of this code is plex. 
It might get merged on kodi's ffmpeg fork but I'm not sure of anything.

Thank you so much! Can’t wait to see the Plex code consolidated by @quietvoid and you in custom Matrix builds.

Ok, I understand your point of view.

Have a nice evening!

Regards from Germany Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision0