• 9(current)
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
Mentioned on GitHub but for others that only follow the forums, the Firestick 4K doesn't work with both MP4 and MKVs, even though the decoder seems to be correctly used.
I have faced some problems in the past where Dolby Vision was activated in the Nvidia Shield settings but it would not disable and re enable in the NV Shield display settings. 
I believe the hdmi handshake might be a problem, specially if the device is on over night. 

Today, when I wake up and Dolby Vision wasn't working, reseted the shield and it started working again. 

But while not working the video buffer was timing out. 

So, increased timeout as you can see here:
https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Ed...db0b81bf70

I have compiled a test version for myself that will not overwritte your main kodi install. 
https://mega.nz/file/fJFhVapC#-QYiglE-Pi...8jeL20I15A

Also, since I stream a lot of content with Kodi on the Shield, I might advice people who do the same to add a larger buffer in the advancedsettings.xml
Quote:<advancedsettings>
  <cache>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <memorysize>139460608</memorysize>
    <readfactor>20</readfactor>
  </cache>
</advancedsettings>

This is useful for people streaming content online or from a NAS. 

A build from jenkins should follow soon.
I've got an 18.9 build with the necessary changes, if anyone is missing their addons. arm64-v8a, dvh1 decoder.
Also increased the timeout value as I had the same problem @fandangos mentioned.

Seems to work the same as the Matrix version, quirks and all. I have not tested it extensively, but no crashes yet.

It has the identifier "org.xbmc.kodidv", so it won't overwrite your official version. Aldso added a slightly modified icon and a modified splash to differentiate it.

Shout out if anyones interested - I don't have any form of hosting but we'll figure something out.
@fandangos I tried your "dvh1-v2" build and found the following:

• Refresh rate switching works when the mode is set to "Start/Stop". My TV switches to 24p and back to 60p when I stop the movie
  • Playing two DV movies right after each other doesn't work. When trying to start the second movie, the busy cursor keeps spinning
  • If I play another movie in between (I tried with Tenet, which is regular HDR10) and then start another DV movie, it works again
  • I checked the decoders being used by installing the Rapier skin and enabling the "Technical Information" overlay. This shows that the DV movies are being decoded using the "amc-dvh1(s)" decoder and HDR10 movies using the "amc-hevc(s)" decoder.
(2020-12-22, 15:57)MrMagic Wrote: @fandangos I tried your "dvh1-v2" build and found the following:

• Refresh rate switching works when the mode is set to "Start/Stop". My TV switches to 24p and back to 60p when I stop the movie
  • Playing two DV movies right after each other doesn't work. When trying to start the second movie, the busy cursor keeps spinning
  • If I play another movie in between (I tried with Tenet, which is regular HDR10) and then start another DV movie, it works again
  • I checked the decoders being used by installing the Rapier skin and enabling the "Technical Information" overlay. This shows that the DV movies are being decoded using the "amc-dvh1(s)" decoder and HDR10 movies using the "amc-hevc(s)" decoder.

The decoders work as expected.

Can you repeat the test after a fresh restart on the shield?
(2020-12-22, 16:02)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-12-22, 15:57)MrMagic Wrote: @fandangos I tried your "dvh1-v2" build and found the following:

The decoders work as expected.

I could not reproduce "Playing two DV movies right after each other doesn't work" here. Going to one DV movie from another works, same as going DV > HDR or contrary. From a Shield Pro 2019 with LG C9 TV.
(2020-12-22, 16:02)fandangos Wrote: The decoders work as expected.

I am aware the decoders work as expected, I was mentioning it as a positive finding Smile

Restarting the Shield allowed me to start a DV movie that would not start at all before (Back to the Future Part 1).

However, after playing this, my "trick" of switching to a non-DV movie and then back to another DV movie no longer worked. This time it was enough to just exit Kodi, remove it from the Shield memory by double-clicking the Home button and then restarting Kodi. This allowed me to start a DV movie that wouldn't start anymore (Star Wars The Last Jedi this time). So behavior seems a bit erratic, but still usable though.

@frrilay  Which build are you using? The build that uses the amc-hevc decoder for all movies works fine, but the build that uses the amc-dvh1 decoder seems a little erratic. Or maybe it's just my setup, that's always possible of course.
There's a lag during the Dolby Vision handshake and refresh rate switching.

Set refresh rate switch to 1 second, this paired with the increase timeout should be suficient to fix the problems you guys are having.

Jenkins builds:

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm64-v8a/

and 

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/

Build number c43636d
(2020-12-22, 16:23)MrMagic Wrote:
(2020-12-22, 16:02)fandangos Wrote:  
@frrilay  Which build are you using? The build that uses the amc-hevc decoder for all movies works fine, but the build that uses the amc-dvh1 decoder seems a little erratic. Or maybe it's just my setup, that's always possible of course.
I am using the DVH1 one; however after testing a little more I managed to reproduce your issue. I had to play and stop a few movies before making it happen though. Eventually the movie won't start and just keep spinning.

@fandangos  Yes I confirm this has an impact: mine is set at 5 seconds and I had to stop and start/stop a movie 3 ou 4 times before having this bug.
(2020-12-22, 16:34)fandangos Wrote: There's a lag during the Dolby Vision handshake and refresh rate switching.

Set refresh rate switch to 1 second, this paired with the increase timeout should be suficient to fix the problems you guys are having.

I already have this set to 4.5 seconds. Are you saying I should lower it? Because even at 4.5 seconds I have to either restart Kodi or the entire Shield to get some movies to play.

@hoppel118 I also tried Maven's second test build from the German forum, but I cannot get it to play DV movies at all, not even after a complete restart of the Shield.
(2020-12-22, 15:42)sk83 Wrote: I've got an 18.9 build with the necessary changes, if anyone is missing their addons. arm64-v8a, dvh1 decoder.
Also increased the timeout value as I had the same problem @fandangos mentioned.

Seems to work the same as the Matrix version, quirks and all. I have not tested it extensively, but no crashes yet.

It has the identifier "org.xbmc.kodidv", so it won't overwrite your official version. Aldso added a slightly modified icon and a modified splash to differentiate it.

Shout out if anyones interested - I don't have any form of hosting but we'll figure something out.
I'm interested in this 18.9 build if you don't mind sharing.
Display: LG OLED77C9 | A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H | 2019 Nvidia Shield Tv Pro | Apple TV 4K | 2017 Roku Ultra | HTPC | Game PC | PS5 
(2020-12-22, 19:44)blackreign66 Wrote:
(2020-12-22, 15:42)sk83 Wrote: I've got an 18.9 build with the necessary changes, if anyone is missing their addons. arm64-v8a, dvh1 decoder.

Sure! Here's the link on ufile.io: https://ufile.io/r6zbxcje

Let me know how it works.
(2020-12-22, 20:02)sk83 Wrote:
(2020-12-22, 19:44)blackreign66 Wrote:

Outstanding!!!! so far it works great. I've managed to play 25 DV mkv movies in a row without issue. Thanks for the build
Display: LG OLED77C9 | A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H | 2019 Nvidia Shield Tv Pro | Apple TV 4K | 2017 Roku Ultra | HTPC | Game PC | PS5 
(2020-12-22, 23:46)blackreign66 Wrote:
(2020-12-22, 20:02)sk83 Wrote:
(2020-12-22, 19:44)blackreign66 Wrote: I'm interested in this 18.9 build if you don't mind sharing.

Outstanding!!!! so far it works great. I've managed to play 25 DV mkv movies in a row without issue. Thanks for the build
Does this version update an existing 18.9 install from the playstore?
(2020-12-23, 02:14)jh82 Wrote:
(2020-12-22, 23:46)blackreign66 Wrote:
(2020-12-22, 20:02)sk83 Wrote: Sure! Here's the link on ufile.io: https://ufile.io/r6zbxcje

Does this version update an existing 18.9 install from the playstore?
No it does not
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision0