• 20(current)
Release Aeon TAJO - Matrix
To clarify it even more, my codecs in the .NFOs are actually codecs, so the general scraping works, so for DDPLus there is of course "eac3" in it, but I don't name my files "eac3", my files just are DDPLus/DDPlus.Atmos/TrueHD/TrueHD.Atmos. But if nothing here is pulled from the filenames, other skins seem to do it, it makes no change anyways.
(2021-09-13, 13:36)chester24 Wrote: But if nothing here is pulled from the filenames, other skins seem to do it, it makes no change anyways.

There lies your answer. This skin does not pull Atmos/DTS-X from file names but some skins do. It relies on what is provided by KODI yet the scrapers don't add Atmos, DTS-X to the library. I understand that these are not REAL codecs, but its the only way to make the skin display them. People have different preferences and that is fine. I don't mind adding Atmos as a false codec to my NFO files but it seems you do. For me, it does not change how the audio is decoded or passed through and the inconvenience is therefore negligible compared to the added functionality.

Sorry, I misunderstood the DD plus thing. I thought it was not displaying at all. I missed that part that only DD plus Atmos doesn't display.

As much as I would love for the skin to pick the flags from filename, I am not going to pressure the skinner to do it. He has his own reasons for not adding this functionality and am comfortable with the workaround. I will let him add whatever he wants to add at his own time. All we can do is request a feature and wait, if he says yes, then Hoooray!! If not, we go on without it. 

The real true solution though is for KODI to add these flags to the library. This way, we can even create smart playlist based on Atmos. This needs quite work because so far, KODI also ignores other things like sources e.g like Bluray, HDTV, DVDRip, WEB-DL and many other important flags. You said you can write python script to populate your nfo files with atmos, this makes me assume you are good in writing code. If you have the capability and time, maybe you can do a pull request and add this functionality to KODI core, many of us will really appreciate it Smile.

For those for us who are too lazy to learn to code, we have to wait patiently and find workarounds until problems are solved or features are added.
Life is short, I don't have time for squabbles. Lets be friends, lets enjoy Kodi :)
I use mediacompanion and Tajo displays the atmos flag without me modifying the NFO
(2021-09-13, 13:31)chester24 Wrote: So, can you tell me where this should be posted so Kodi development takes note of it?
KODI knows Atmos is not a codec and does not scrape it as such unless you force it to via NFO files. So there is no bug here as by design, KODI allows you to mess the NFO file as much as you want. We are just missing the functionality to add Atmos/DTX-X to the library for the skinners and other KODI parts to make use of.

As told you in the first response, this is a known issue and Devs know about it. It is just probably a lot of work and no one has the time as they do this as a hobby. This is not the only thing KODI ignores, it also ignores other things that are potentially important like the version/edition (Director's Cut, Extended Edition etc).

In the meantime Skinners have found ways around some of these flags that KODI ignores by using file names. So, the flags are mostly left to the skin to deal with and it is up to the skinner to add them or not. Even if the skinner adds the flags via file-naming, the functionality is rather limited and the best way is to add this via KODI core. This is how KODI community works, if we are missing a functionality, we find ways around it and wait until finally its added properly.
Life is short, I don't have time for squabbles. Lets be friends, lets enjoy Kodi :)
(2021-09-13, 14:41)TimeZone Wrote:
(2021-09-13, 13:36)chester24 Wrote: But if nothing here is pulled from the filenames, other skins seem to do it, it makes no change anyways.

There lies your answer. This skin does not pull Atmos/DTS-X from file names but some skins do. It relies on what is provided by KODI yet the scrapers don't add Atmos, DTS-X to the library. I understand that these are not REAL codecs, but its the only way to make the skin display them. People have different preferences and that is fine. I don't mind adding Atmos as a false codec to my NFO files but it seems you do. For me, it does not change how the audio is decoded or passed through and the inconvenience is therefore negligible compared to the added functionality.

Sorry, I misunderstood the DD plus thing. I thought it was not displaying at all. I missed that part that only DD plus Atmos doesn't display.

As much as I would love for the skin to pick the flags from filename, I am not going to pressure the skinner to do it. He has his own reasons for not adding this functionality and am comfortable with the workaround. I will let him add whatever he wants to add at his own time. All we can do is request a feature and wait, if he says yes, then Hoooray!! If not, we go on without it. 

The real true solution though is for KODI to add these flags to the library. This way, we can even create smart playlist based on Atmos. This needs quite work because so far, KODI also ignores other things like sources e.g like Bluray, HDTV, DVDRip, WEB-DL and many other important flags. You said you can write python script to populate your nfo files with atmos, this makes me assume you are good in writing code. If you have the capability and time, maybe you can do a pull request and add this functionality to KODI core, many of us will really appreciate it Smile.

For those for us who are too lazy to learn to code, we have to wait patiently and find workarounds until problems are solved or features are added.

Hey, yes I also do not want to pressure the skinner to do this. I was just asking and then realizing on your answer that what happens by the Kodi scraper is wrong, namely accepting Atmos as a Codec. And I also totally understand what you mean in terms of everybody's priorities. 
Well, although I code since I was 6, and this was in a time where not everyone really had a computer, 37 years back in time, I have yet to see if I have the time for it Smile
I totally agree that it should be done by KODI core somehow so not every skin has to have its own way to do it, like one takes it from the filename, the other don't. But yes, it seems like this is the state now.
I will leave my .nfos "correct" for the time being, it does not break anything getting no Atmos logo displayed, so...
(2021-09-13, 15:24)TimeZone Wrote:
(2021-09-13, 13:31)chester24 Wrote: So, can you tell me where this should be posted so Kodi development takes note of it?
KODI knows Atmos is not a codec and does not scrape it as such unless you force it to via NFO files. So there is no bug here as by design, KODI allows you to mess the NFO file as much as you want. We are just missing the functionality to add Atmos/DTX-X to the library for the skinners and other KODI parts to make use of.

As told you in the first response, this is a known issue and Devs know about it. It is just probably a lot of work and no one has the time as they do this as a hobby. This is not the only thing KODI ignores, it also ignores other things that are potentially important like the version/edition (Director's Cut, Extended Edition etc).

In the meantime Skinners have found ways around some of these flags that KODI ignores by using file names. So, the flags are mostly left to the skin to deal with and it is up to the skinner to add them or not. Even if the skinner adds the flags via file-naming, the functionality is rather limited and the best way is to add this via KODI core. This is how KODI community works, if we are missing a functionality, we find ways around it and wait until finally its added properly.

Ok got that one, thanks for the clarification regarding how things are going. Now I also got that also the .NFO is just a workaround in reality Smile 
Regarding the editions I also realized that but I just try to get posters with the correct edition for the time being, or editing the name in the library then. But yes, would be nice to get that with the scraping already.
(2021-09-13, 15:05)Edworld Wrote: I use mediacompanion and Tajo displays the atmos flag without me modifying the NFO
 Can you tell me what mediacompanion writes into the .NFO? Does it add Atmos as a codec like TimeZone wrote?
And @
(2021-09-13, 15:35)chester24 Wrote:
(2021-09-13, 15:05)Edworld Wrote: I use mediacompanion and Tajo displays the atmos flag without me modifying the NFO
 Can you tell me what mediacompanion writes into the .NFO? Does it add Atmos as a codec like TimeZone wrote?
<audio>
                <language>eng</language>
                <DefaultTrack>Yes</DefaultTrack>
                <codec>atmos</codec>
                <channels>8</channels>
                <bitrate>3 810 kb/s</bitrate>
            </audio>
(2021-09-13, 16:07)Edworld Wrote:
(2021-09-13, 15:35)chester24 Wrote:
<audio>
                <language>eng</language>
                <DefaultTrack>Yes</DefaultTrack>
                <codec>atmos</codec>
                <channels>8</channels>
                <bitrate>3 810 kb/s</bitrate>
            </audio>
Ok, thanks. That is what TimeZone said already.
Actually after revisiting the whole thing it is more correct now than it is with this "workaround". TrueHD and DDPlus should never be replaced or overwritten by Atmos. Because they stay what they are. So if at all this can only be an addition and also - for the future - an additional logo, as there is no dedicated logo for either of them, but only for Atmos.
So you would lose that info. Then I am more happy for now with the way it is. The optimal way would be TrueHD or DDPlus logo, and if there is  Atmos in the stream, the additional Atmos logo.
Just to clarify some things:

AFAIK Kodi has the ability to recognize the codec of a file on-the fly, with the infolabel ListItem.Audiocodec, the possible values are (according to the wiki):

Xml:
ListItem.AudioCodec: Shows the audio codec of the currently selected video (common values: aac, ac3, cook, dca, dtshd_hra, dtshd_ma, eac3, mp1, mp2, mp3, pcm_s16be, pcm_s16le, pcm_u8, truehd, vorbis, wmapro, wmav2)

Atmos doesn’t appear, probably because like someone said, it’s not an actual codec (believe it or not Kodi devs are quite savvy…)

I don’t use the Kodi scrapers, but I think that’s safe to assume they follow the same rule and ignore the term Atmos (and others) altogether.

So we won’t get Atmos in Kodi core by now, and probably never will… Then we have two options:

1.- Forget about DTS-X y Atmos logos. That shouldn’t worry the ones that want to adhere firmly to the standards, after all they don’t even exist as codecs, right? Who cares about them?

2.- Giving priority to the logos appearing, even though we have to bend a little the rules. 

I’m surprised that no one realize that putting a codec name in the file name it’s not an option. That works for video, because there’s only one video stream in each file (by the way in this case Aeon Tajo make use of that, for instance if you put HDR as part of the file it will recognize it as such). But at least in my case my files very often have several audio streams… Which is the one with the Atmos? Impossible to know from the file name. I know that some skins forget about that, and they simply show a single logo for each movie’s audio. How people is happy with that is beyond me. Most of the video views in Aeon Tajo show the first three or four audiostreams, each one with its own logo and language (if provided).

A choice must be made then (after all, we’re in Matrix -blue pill/red pill- aren’t we?). If you choose option 2, you don’t need to edit anything manually if you don’t want to. Someone said he uses MediaCompanion and I use MediaElch, that can easily scrape your files and set the word Atmos and DTS-X in the info file when they find that. I don’t know about MediaCompanion, but at least MediaElch lets you choose that you only want to update the audio part of the nfo file, and keep untouched the rest of the nfo file…
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
(2021-09-13, 19:19)manfeed Wrote: Just to clarify some things:

AFAIK Kodi has the ability to recognize the codec of a file on-the fly, with the infolabel ListItem.Audiocodec, the possible values are (according to the wiki):

Xml:
ListItem.AudioCodec: Shows the audio codec of the currently selected video (common values: aac, ac3, cook, dca, dtshd_hra, dtshd_ma, eac3, mp1, mp2, mp3, pcm_s16be, pcm_s16le, pcm_u8, truehd, vorbis, wmapro, wmav2)

Atmos doesn’t appear, probably because like someone said, it’s not an actual codec (believe it or not Kodi devs are quite savvy…)

I don’t use the Kodi scrapers, but I think that’s safe to assume they follow the same rule and ignore the term Atmos (and others) altogether.

So we won’t get Atmos in Kodi core by now, and probably never will… Then we have two options:

1.- Forget about DTS-X y Atmos logos. That shouldn’t worry the ones that want to adhere firmly to the standards, after all they don’t even exist as codecs, right? Who cares about them?

2.- Giving priority to the logos appearing, even though we have to bend a little the rules. 

I’m surprised that no one realize that putting a codec name in the file name it’s not an option. That works for video, because there’s only one video stream in each file (by the way in this case Aeon Tajo make use of that, for instance if you put HDR as part of the file it will recognize it as such). But at least in my case my files very often have several audio streams… Which is the one with the Atmos? Impossible to know from the file name. I know that some skins forget about that, and they simply show a single logo for each movie’s audio. How people is happy with that is beyond me. Most of the video views in Aeon Tajo show the first three or four audiostreams, each one with its own logo and language (if provided).

A choice must be made then (after all, we’re in Matrix -blue pill/red pill- aren’t we?). If you choose option 2, you don’t need to edit anything manually if you don’t want to. Someone said he uses MediaCompanion and I use MediaElch, that can easily scrape your files and set the word Atmos and DTS-X in the info file when they find that. I don’t know about MediaCompanion, but at least MediaElch lets you choose that you only want to update the audio part of the nfo file, and keep untouched the rest of the nfo file…
Well said!

This is exactly what I meant with my last post where I wrote after revisiting it it is more correct now as it then otherwise.
Changing TrueHD or DDPlus to Atmos or DTS HD Master to DTS-X would be bending, a lot of bending. When I wrote first about it I did not think it to the end, as there are no real TrueHD or DDPLus Atmos logos, just Atmos logos.
What you are doing with showing all the different codecs that are in the file, or the first ones, is I think a very correct way indeed Smile
The only thing one can think of is having an extra logo for Atmos or DTS-X somewhere aside from the codecs, while staying true to the codecs themselves.
If this is needed is another question, it would be nice though. But then you would have to "bend" again and say, ok, one of those streams has Atmos or DTS-X. It is truly not that easy.

Regarding the filenames, what I do is simply to put the best audio stream there is into the filename, but that surely is also only personal preference and mileage may vary.

Cheers
@manfeed Although I have some "inconsistencies" in all that I cannot quite explain, especially from a programmers standpoint.
1. All my TrueHD Atmos files have "truehd_atmos" in  the coded in the .NFO, which for Kodi, according to your list, is not recognizable. But yet they very all show TrueHD logo in your skin and if I go to the info screen the codec which is truehd_atmos in the .NFO shows truehd, with the correct number of channels. So far so good because it is kinda right. But seems some kind of magic. I don't like magic as programmer Smile
2. But now I have some DTS-X files which all have "dtshd_ma_x" in my .NFOS, again this should be not recognizable by Kodi. And now the magic gets even worse. 99% of the files show as DTSHD Master in the codec, and also have the logo. Ok kinda right. The dtshd_ma_x magically changed to dtshd_ma in the info screen. But here I have movies, same matroska container, same information in the .NFO, same everything, where the logo of the first codec is empty then, and I go into the info screen, and there it shows dtshd_ma_x, so the info I put into the .NFO, and which is not/should not be recognizable by Kodi. But I don't know based on what this happens.
3. Now comes the strangest thing, yesterday I added some other "truehd_atmos" files and at first the codec in the skin was only displayed but had no logo. And after some time they magically changed to TrueHD atmos logo and "truehd" information in the info screen, like with all my other "truehd_atmos" movies. But I have changed nothing in my settings or anything else in the meanwhile.
The 1% of my DTS-X movies stayed "empty" however.
4. "eac3_atmos" also stays empty, this is kinda expected as it is not in the Kodi list of valid values. But I would have expected same for "truehd_atmos" files. This is so strange all.

I have Kodi set to scrape only with local scraper and nothing else.  I can only explain that there was some sort of update between adding the most bunch of my movies and the new/last ones. My .NFOs look same for all of them as I double checked that.

According to follow the rule of correct codecs and not codecs with extension I might change my .NFO files back to only codecs, but do you have an explanation for that strange behavior?
@chester24 

I know something about skinning but nothing about Kodi core, so I’m afraid I can’t answer your question. Only thing I can think of is that maybe you added the first bunch of movies with an older Kodi version and the last ones with a more recent Kodi version, and something has changed in Kodi core between those versions… But as I said before, only guessing…
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
(2021-09-14, 17:00)manfeed Wrote: @chester24 

I know something about skinning but nothing about Kodi core, so I’m afraid I can’t answer your question. Only thing I can think of is that maybe you added the first bunch of movies with an older Kodi version and the last ones with a more recent Kodi version, and something has changed in Kodi core between those versions… But as I said before, only guessing…
I found out that this magic happens when I turn on my AV-receiver LOL. I do not even want to know how or what is done there...

But back to the matter a last time 
Fact is : I moved back to put only the real codecs into my .NFOs because this is the "right" way in my eyes, so TrueHD stays TrueHD etc., like you say yourself
Atmos and DTS-X are way more for audio streams like HDR is for video.

Would you consider staying with your implementation of codecs and putting out an Atmos or DTS-X logo like you do with HDR?

It would be also grouped with these logos : 4K, HDR, Atmos, DTS-X etc. That is far more appropriate. You could take it out of the filename, too. Yes I know that that there are (I have it, too) audio streams then which are not Atmos or DTS-X enabled. But it is more like a general "feature" of the movie then. I saw an alike solution exactly out of this problematic elsewhere, but I like your skin way more honestly.
​​​​​​​A
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon TAJO - Matrix0