• 90(current)
Release OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support
(2021-06-17, 06:07)bossanova808 Wrote: (@DavidFW1960 see one up, just for you fella)
hahaha!!!! Nice... one small complaint though.. it scrolls horizontally.. like the whole bar shifts... only a little but a bit ugly. Maybe the text can just say next and previous? I dunno and I'm being a picky ungrateful bastard I know..... Cool
hmm, not doing that here.  Probably because I am not on a proper 16:9 screen here....the percentage based scaling is a bit hard to work with.

Can you send me a screenshot - also are the buttons properly below the radar, or are they overlapping? 

If you modify the text in OzWeatherButtons-estuary.xml as you suggest (and restart Kodi)...does that solve it?
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2021-06-17, 06:43)bossanova808 Wrote: hmm, not doing that here.  Probably because I am not on a proper 16:9 screen here....the percentage based scaling is a bit hard to work with.

Can you send me a screenshot - also are the buttons properly below the radar, or are they overlapping? 

If you modify the text in OzWeatherButtons-estuary.xml as you suggest (and restart Kodi)...does that solve it?
They are fully contained within the radars width (actually the buttons don't even go to the edge on the RHS), It scrolls to the left when I get to the right hand button and to the right when I go left (if the row had previously scrolled) So it only scrolls when you hit the end button.
Yes editing OzWeatherButtons-estuary.xml fixes it.
Ok, if you're happy with that, I'll just change the text and distribute that as it's by far the easiest (how Kodi is sizing the list of buttons is a bit unclear to me)

...and just to double check, I am more worried about the vertical location of the buttons...I just want to make sure they are appearing _below_ the radar, like this:

(as when I resize the window on my desktop they move erratically and can end up OVER the radar, which is not nice...)

Can you confirm they are indeed below on a proper TV setup?
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
(2021-06-17, 07:42)bossanova808 Wrote: Ok, if you're happy with that, I'll just change the text and distribute that as it's by far the easiest (how Kodi is sizing the list of buttons is a bit unclear to me)

...and just to double check, I am more worried about the vertical location of the buttons...I just want to make sure they are appearing _below_ the radar, like this:

(as when I resize the window on my desktop they move erratically and can end up OVER the radar, which is not nice...)

Can you confirm they are indeed below on a proper TV setup?
Yes below on a proper tv. (LG C9 55")
...and, done (0.1.7 skin patcher)
OK so it's fine with the new skin files.
How did you end up treating the skin when the minimum or maximum disappears? I didn't notice yesterday.
Just regarding the feels like notice in the warnings... not a fan of having that there all the time. People are going to use the closest station for observations - they aren't going to switch station just because of that. I think there's 2 possibilities of a better way to do this... either show the feels like as --'s or you can calculate it from the Temperature and Humidity and wind speed. See here https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/rklarsen/Aust...e+%28AT%29

Just one other thing... even in your screenshot above, the last day is jammed right down.. Could that be raised up a bit so it doesn't look so crammed? At an equal height to the radar buttons would look better and make the extended forecast info box a bit smaller... it often only needs a line anyway... also a good reason to ditch the feels like warning..

Sorry to be so picky.
The min max stuff is handled by using the exact data the BOM provides, in the main observations panel at the top.  It will e.g. switch to Tomorrow's max when that is what the BOM provides.  In reality, the BOM only really provides today's observations, a partial forecast for the current day (i.e. depending on the time), and then 6 more days of forecast.  So basically I solved it by moving all the current day stuff into the observations area, using the provided BOM data as is, and then moving from 7 to 6 rows in the forecast area.

The extended info is often MUCH longer - in your location, it might be shorter right now, but I test a lot of locations and some of them are routinely quite long (and interesting!).  Plus, (major, current) weather warnings are now put in there, which are useful - e.g. during the recent massive storms in Vic here.  In summer you'll see the recommended sun protection times in there too.  So in all that area needs to have some space or it feels like too small an area for the content.

I don't really agree on the jammed comment, it's equally placed with respect to the titles at the top, so looks good to me...and the key principle for me has always been a one page shows all approach.  But what I can do is remove the fade off in the background at the bottom that serves no good purpose and makes it feel more closed in...I'll do that.

Interesting about the feels like - I'm not sure I agree people wouldn't switch (e.g. the person above!) - but I will look at calculating it.  I suspect, though, that it it is missing feels like, it's probably because it's missing one of the things needed to calculate it too.

Unfortunately the way Kodi works I can't just clear it, not have it, or not have a number there.  The skin code in code is pretty rough once you start trying to push logic in skins, so there are limits...it will shove a zero in there when I try that, which is worse...
(2021-06-18, 01:02)bossanova808 Wrote: I don't really agree on the jammed comment, it's equally placed with respect to the titles at the top, so looks good to me...and the key principle for me has always been a one page shows all approach.  But what I can do is remove the fade off in the background at the bottom that serves no good purpose and makes it feel more closed in...I'll do that.

Interesting about the feels like - I'm not sure I agree people wouldn't switch (e.g. the person above!) - but I will look at calculating it.  I suspect, though, that it it is missing feels like, it's probably because it's missing one of the things needed to calculate it too.
Probably the fading will fix it I'd say.
So if people DO switch then they won't be using the obs station closest to them which seems like they will then be using the wrong information so I think switching location because of 1 missing piece of data doesn't make sense... but I don't think keeping that warning in the more info part makes sense anyway and just takes up room. Whatabout a notification instead when you first load the skin. I feel like having it there permanently is unnecessary.
Ok, the penny has dropped - I just couldn't figure out the conditional labels thing for weather values as it works the way I expect everywhere else... BUT _=->Kodi supports both farenheit and Celsius - and it's therefore (in the background) - converting all the weather values - and returns '0' for any non-numeric value provided....which is kinda stupid.  Fine it should transform numerical values according to the units (if we _must_ support dark ages systems like farenheit...) - but if given a non numeric, it should leave it alone, really, rather than convert it to zero. 

But there you go...So I can solve it by setting my own, separate weather labels - and using those in the custom skin files instead.  Meaning I can now hide the feels like if it is not available.  Which is what I will do. 

(Still have to set the Kodi ones so other skins etc. don't break - but will just throw the current temp into the feels like and leave it at that, I think).
(2021-06-18, 02:58)bossanova808 Wrote: Ok, the penny has dropped - I just couldn't figure out the conditional labels thing for weather values as it works the way I expect everywhere else... BUT _=->Kodi supports both farenheit and Celsius - and it's therefore (in the background) - converting all the weather values - and returns '0' for any non-numeric value provided....which is kinda stupid.  Fine it should transform numerical values according to the units (if we _must_ support dark ages systems like farenheit...) - but if given a non numeric, it should leave it alone, really, rather than convert it to zero. 

But there you go...So I can solve it by setting my own, separate weather labels - and using those in the custom skin files instead.  Meaning I can now hide the feels like if it is not available.  Which is what I will do. 

(Still have to set the Kodi ones so other skins etc. don't break - but will just throw the current temp into the feels like and leave it at that, I think).
OK!! Well let me know when you update the weather component and skins and I'll pull them down and take a look.... Thanks..
Ok, OzWeather 2.0.1 updated with changes discussed (get that on github until it gets approved for the Kodi main repo...), and skin patcher 0.1.8 pushed, with latest tweaks to match.

(make sure you re-start after installing & patching your skin as it's the combination of both things that achieve all the changes...)
(Skin patcher 0.1.9 actually...slight boo boo there! ... is just uploading now)
(2021-06-18, 04:01)bossanova808 Wrote: (Skin patcher 0.1.9 actually...slight boo boo there! ... is just uploading now)

OK All good. I think you didn't bump the skin version (still seeing 0.1.7) but it looks much better without the fade at the bottom, I see you also moved the buttons under the radar.. more logical now I think. I also see no humidity for one of the locations that has no Feels Like so I think you are right about that being why and calculating won't help. 

I like the look and feel now. Great work.
Hi,

just wondering if you could make the text headings a brighter colour.   The grey colour is hard to see at times.  I am referring to the headings like  "Rain since 9am", "Chance of Rain", "Sunrise" etc

Oh, like the new changes.  Thanks for making them.

cheers

John
  • 90(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OzWeather - Australian Weather Addon using BOM data inc. animated radar support5